Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone defend Hopkins in the “who ducked who” wars for Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
    this all can be taken into consideration definitely, but at the end of the day, you can also say, that roy jones jr., even with being more relevant, than bernard hopkins in 2001-2002, was somewhat lucky to have that trump card to play, when he beat bernard hopkins in 93...yes roy jones jr., beat bernard hopkins, but the fight itself, was an undercard match, was quite mediocre, but bernard hopkins, was roy jones jr.'s toughest opponent during that time...

bernard hopkins, managing himself and remaining @ 160, fought in obscurity for years until he won the middleweight tournament, and roy jones moved up a couple of divisions, was considered the #1 lightheavy/p4p king, but never became the cash cow on the level of de la hoya or even trinidad, but he held that trump card, when it came to bernard hopkins...

looking back, had trinidad won that tournament, i doubt if roy jones jr., would have got a 60-40 split in his favor, over a fighter who brought more to the negotiating table imo, but who would have been an easier opponent than bernard hopkins, as bernard hopkins pointed out, in their infamous "60-40" interview on hbo...

that being said, imo, both guys had enough reason to avoid each other...bernard hopkins had to call out roy jones jr. from a promotional/business standpoint yeah, but bernard hopkins/roy jones jr. 2, in 2001-2002, wouldn't have been a megafight...didn't seem like hbo, was willing to throw out major loot for the rematch, giving how dead the first fight was...both guys stood their ground, knowing that they both stood to lose a lot in a loss, and just sold woof tickets...
    tbhier styles nullified eachother and would stink out the place whever they fought. look how bad tghey looked in the rematch compared to what hopkins looked like against pascal or jones looked against lacy.

fyi hopkins never got paid for the first jones fight it was one of the reasons he managed himself. murhad muhamad beat him for a million

Comment

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
      He was calling Roy out though, he was the one who said he wanted the best fighter in the world, and for a guy who couldn’t really get fights at the time deserves 50/50 with Mr HBO? lets be real here people if Floyd was in Roys position and Pac was in B-Hops position everyone would be saying Pac is ducking Floyd, hell they are saying it now even though he gave into every term possible to make the fight.

I respect B-Hop as a fighter but I can’t see how anyone can defend him in this case unless you are one of these pro black fighter lovers, or your from philly and have to defend him.
      that is an idiotic rascist troll statement. this was nothing like mayweather pac and it's hard to say 1 guy ducked the other considering they fought twice. Use your head bro.

Comment

And lets not forget B-Hop ducked Toney like crazy, the fight was pretty much set with a ring magazine made of it, and then Hopkins pulled out saying he deserved the lions share. And this was after Toney beat Jirov in 03 i believe could be wrong on the year though.
        when did this fight ever make sense? and in 03 wasn't toney a cruiserweight?

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
          that is an idiotic rascist troll statement. this was nothing like mayweather pac and it's hard to say 1 guy ducked the other considering they fought twice. Use your head bro.
          First of all you idiot I’m black so i can make that statement, second of all you idiot can you read? This discussion is way before the the real rematch happened. When Jones had no legs and B-Hop didn’t want to fight Bad Chad so it was a way for Hopkins to make money and stay relevant. You say Mayweather on this forums and guys like you go crazy.

I don’t care what the behind the scenes things are. Roy was p4p#1 at the time, the bigger draw, didn’t need the fight, and already won the previous fight. To be honest I think even 60/40 would be too much for a guy who couldn’t bring a crowd, lost in the first fight, and wasn’t make good money do to promoters basically stealing from him.
          Last edited by pturtle; 09-30-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
            when did this fight ever make sense? and in 03 wasn't toney a cruiserweight?
            Yea B-Hop was going to move up, i think it might have been a catchweight.

You can even find the ring mag somewhere online man

Comment

First of all you idiot I’m black so i can make that statement, second of all you idiot can you read? This discussion i way before the the real rematch happened. When Jones had no legs and B-Hop didn’t want to fight Bad Chad so i was a way for Hopkins to make money and stay relevant. You say Mayweather on this forums and guys like you go crazy.

I don’t care what the behind the scenes things are. Roy was p4p#1 at the time, the bigger draw, didn’t need the fight, and already won he previous fight. To be honest I think even 60/40 would be too much for a guy who couldn’t bring a crowd, lost in the first fight, and wash’’t make good money do to promoters basically stealing from him.
              who cares what you think? you're obviously just out to bash Hopkins. They fought twice and you say one ducked the other? how stupid is that? then you bring up james toney who was a cruiser weight about to be heavyweight when hopkins was 160 like he was just supposed to jump up 4 divisions to fight the guy. how idiotic is that. the whole thread is a fail and you're in the red because of the stupidity of your posts. It's no surprise why you come up with the points you make, you are a functioning tard who decided to make hopkins thread today. your point he should have
              thrown anything he wanted to do at 160 out the window to appease whatever jones and toney needed at the time. Nobody at all takes this thread seriously and everyone who posts in here is just doing it for the amusement of your stupidity. that's fact do a poll.

Comment

who cares what you think? you're obviously just out to bash Hopkins. They fought twice and you say one ducked the other? how stupid is that? then you bring up james toney who was a cruiser weight about to be heavyweight when hopkins was 160 like he was just supposed to jump up 4 divisions to fight the guy. how idiotic is that. the whole thread is a fail and you're in the red because of the stupidity of your posts. It's no surprise why you come up with the points you make, you are a functioning tard who decided to make hopkins thread today. your point he should have
                thrown anything he wanted to do at 160 out the window to appease whatever jones and toney needed at the time. Nobody at all takes this thread seriously and everyone who posts in here is just doing it for the amusement of your stupidity. that's fact do a poll.
                Once again idiot if this thread is irrelevant then how come more people on here agree with me then the ones that don’t? Also I like Hopkins, I respect him a lot, did you not see what I said earlier? Its a fight that probably could have been boring but I appreciated the first fight and with the stakes higher at the time i probably would have enjoyed the rematch more.

Why do you keep bringing up that rematch that a lot of people here haven’t seen because it was that irrelevant. Are you saying because of that rematch Hopkins proves he never ducked a prime Roy or something? You are an idiot. if you hate this thread so much kick rocks then. All the points I made are valid and if anyone can help me to understand why Hopkins shouldn’t be seen as a duck in this fight then that would be much appreciated.
                Last edited by pturtle; 09-30-2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

It's not racist at all. So I take it it's racist to say people that love Canelo are pro Mexican? Cotto pro Rican?

What he speaks is the truth. Most people do cheer for their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                    It's not racist at all. So I take it it's racist to say people that love Canelo are pro Mexican? Cotto pro Rican?

Exactly, you can see everything he has posted here has actually nothing to do with the actual topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post

Well, it's different. Thats nationality you're talking about.

The comment itself did seem a little racist. Just cuz another black guy said it doesn't make it less.

But then again.. Is black a race?

Im just talking out my ass lol.

I know what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                      X