Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@NSB. Grade my writing in regards to Whitaker being superior to Hopkins.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @NSB. Grade my writing in regards to Whitaker being superior to Hopkins.

I only took some parts of it because it's such a long read.

This particular section I was pointing out how Hopkins footwork/defense is inferior to Whitaker's and how Hopkins was a bit exposed against certain foes.

Bernard Hopkins as great as he is tend to struggle against certain styles in a way Whitaker never did.
    One only has to look at the most difficult moments of Hopkins’ career to understand the truth of this matter. Against Taylor,it was easy to see the frustration on the part of Bernard Hopkins, who was unable to use his footwork to his usual advantage. Jermain Taylor was not a pressure-fighter looking to overwhelm an old man, nor was he the kind of fighter you could barge in on to get inside, back up, and rough up at will. Jermain Taylor made Bernard Hopkins fight right at the end of their punches, and Bernard’s entire game suddenly seemed off.

A boxer’s base is at his feet, and the fact that each man was constantly switching between the role of aggressor and defender (not always on BHop’s terms) revealed the lack of Hopkins’ ability to fluidly step in, out, and around an opponent who did not ascribe to either extreme.

Many times, Hopkins was rushing forward and missing punches, unable to ambush Taylor who was in perfect position to see those shots coming. Other times, Hopkins was easily rushed backwards by Taylor, who was in perfect position to seize an offensive opportunity.

Whitaker, however, was at his creative best staying just in and out of range, reading an opponent’s body language, setting his traps, and creating the art upon the canvas that was the ring. Hopkins often makes his opponents miss by miles by keeping miles between them, or smothering them entirely; Whitaker more often played a game of inches, and played it well. Just look at the opening performance against Roger Mayweather. Although Whitaker is praised so highly for his upper body movement, it was his subtle footwork that facilitated his upper body to move with such precision. Sliding backwards while pulling his head slightly, ducking out at a side-angle with a full pivot, and even effortlessly intimidating a stalking opponent into backing up momentarily to maintain control of the center (such as against Roger Mayweather, a well-rounded boxer-puncher) by stepping forward-these are all subtle tricks that allowed Whitaker to maintain complete offensive and defensive control of an opponent in a way that Hopkins rarely demonstrated.

The one instance I can think of in which Hopkins managed Whitaker's feats is his late-round performance against Trinidad, having countered and batter him, being comfortable enough to stay right in front of him and outsmart & outquick him. But Whitaker has shown these traits each time he’s stepped into a ring, against McGirt, Nelson, Mayweather, and even in his controversial past-prime performance against Oscar De La Hoya.

I think you should write a poem about it

Comment

Comment

Hopkins wasn't in his physical prime against Taylor, if he was he would have pressured him and eventually taken him out. So it's unfair to base a comparison on that.

Comment

footwork was one of many things Whitaker was a master of the combination of several hundred amateur fights and the great George Benton training him as a pro he was as complete a boxer as the world will ever see his strafing triple jab starting off one shoulder squeezing past his opponent and being off the other shoulder was a good example of his footwork as well as his knowledge of spacing he also took was able to completely take his opponents best punch away from them no matter what it was

a lot of people also do not realize he never lost a fight with benton in his corner Benton did not make the trip to Paris for the first Ramerez fight and was gone before the de la hoya fight 40-0-1 they were quite the pair whitaker trusted him listened to him and respected him

Comment

This is Bernard at his absolute prime. This version would have beat the living daylights out of Taylor and most other middleweights in boxing history. Using the Jermaine Taylor fight to describe Hopkins style. I guess we should use the Trevor Berbick fight to critic Ali's style as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post

This is Bernard at his absolute prime. This version would have beat the living daylights out of Taylor and most other middleweights in boxing history. Using the Jermaine Taylor fight to describe Hopkins style. I guess we should use the Trevor Berbick fight to critic Ali's style as well.
              Thank you for posting that, in his prime Hopkins was a seek and destroy guy with insane stamina and still a very good defense. People tend to forget that...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post

Nobody said Hopkins didn't have great footwork.. the point is to say Whitakker have GREATER footwork.......

Comment

TS, prose is not your metier. Add some rhyme to make it chime

Comment

Your writing is fine. I'll give you a B+. I think Hopkins was a much better fighter overall. Hopkins was just as good on defense and had a much better offense in my opinion. Hopkins was 40 years old when he lost to Taylor. At age 40 Whitaker had been retired for years and had been finished as a top fighter many years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X