No announcement yet.

Does jimmy mclarin deserve to be ranked 21st p4p

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    No, Mclarnin beat 12 HOF'ers, not 5. 11 if you don't include his DQ win over Bud Taylor. Still, a win's a win.

Canzoneri
    Ross
    Leonard
    Petrolle
    Ambers
    LaBarba
    Villa
    Kaplan
    Corbett 3
    Mandall
    Fields
    Taylor

That's 12 HOF'ers he beat.
    Mclarnin beat 13 HOFers. Second only to Greb with 14. McLarnin has faced more HOFers than anybody else in 15.

HOFers he beat: Villa, Labarba, Ambers, Canzoneri, Ross, Kaplan, Petrolle, Leonard, Corbett III, Taylor, Fields, Mandell, Goldstein.

Comment

Here's a highlight I did of McLarnin, it's hard to tell whose who sometimes but McLarnin is usually the one with the stripe on his trunks, always trying to land the left hook.

Another good way of telling is the person whose doing well in the clip is usually McLarnin, seeing that's who the highlight is of.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Mclarnin beat 13 HOFers. Second only to Greb with 14. McLarnin has faced more HOFers than anybody else in 15.

HOFers he beat: Villa, Labarba, Ambers, Canzoneri, Ross, Kaplan, Petrolle, Leonard, Corbett III, Taylor, Fields, Mandell, Goldstein.
        Depends if you want to count Goldstein who was in as a referee (IIRC) but, then again Jack Blackburn was only in as a trainer and people count him for Greb.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Depends if you want to count Goldstein who was in as a referee (IIRC) but, then again Jack Blackburn was only in as a trainer and people count him for Greb.
          I don't count either for either of them.

Beating a HOF fighter is obviously not the same as beating a HOF referee.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
            I'm getting my data from the official HOF website and boxrec. I'd like to know your sources.
            You might wanna check it all again then. They're all there.

http://www.ibhof.com/pages/about/ind.../oldtimer.html

You say he fought only 5 HOFers? Which 5? T. Canzoneri is in, B. Leonard is in, L. Ambers is in, B. Ross is in, P. Villa is in. That's five right there. All are 100% in the HOF as shown in link above.

That's not even mentioning Taylor, Mandell, LaBarbra, Corbett etc etc. They're all there, it's not hard to find.

Comment

I'm getting my data from the official HOF website and boxrec. I'd like to know your sources.
              Look harder.

There are 12 fighters on this list that Jimmy McLarnin beat. As I have already listed.

Here's another site for the HOF fighters if that one's not good enough for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...g_Hall_of_Fame

Jimmy McLarnin beat 12 HOF fighters, not 5.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Look harder.

There are 12 fighters on this list that Jimmy McLarnin beat. As I have already listed.

Here's another site for the HOF fighters if that one's not good enough for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...g_Hall_of_Fame

Jimmy McLarnin beat 12 HOF fighters, not 5.
                It's not as if he could be thinking of the WBHOF (world) either, because that also has about 10 inductees that McClarnin beat in it.

Comment

So the International Boxing Hall of Fame is the better one or the more prestigious one? And that's the one in Canastoga, NY right?

Comment

It's ok. I've always had a soft spot for Moore so I'd probably rank Archie higher.
                    Me too, although Moore is well respected around here I think he is still slightly underrated, also its impossible to get the order perfect, if you got 1000 fans to make a top 50 p4p list in history there would be some fighters in common on nearly every list but the other 40 or so spots would have a vast amount of names pop up, probably be 200 fighters named in all, we all have our favourites too. I have no problem at all with McLarnin around that position, I feel that of the film we have of him that I havent seen the beast Jimmy McLarnin, but even when he was very young and was beaten fair and square by Sammy Mandell, Jimmy still looked very very good...... Mandell is very underrated around here incidentally. from what I have seen on film, Sammy Mandell was a brilliant boxer, just superb, he deserves discussion here.

Comment

Working...
                    X