Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rank Wladimir Klitschko among the great heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
    At least in the top 200.

What was Holmes best win, other than a shot Ali?
    What was Tyson's best win, other than a faded Holmes?
    Who besides china-chinned Patterson did Liston ever beat?

Wlad has beaten a large number of good but not great HWs, like Byrd x2, Brock, Chagaev, Peter, Ibragimov, prime McCline, Thompson, Chambers, prime Barrett, Haye, etc.

He ranks #4 all-time in longest title reign, and has a very large number of successful title defenses.

You rank Liston, who was 2-2 in world title fights and quit twice against Ali in your top 15, yet you say Wlad is below the top 200?
    One: Look who Liston fought in those title fights

Two: He didn't have the alphabet soups to play with

Comment

• Around number 7

Comment

• Wladimir Klitschko stopped at least 15 fighters who had never been stopped before.

Calvin Brock (never down or stopped before)
        Eddie Chambers (never down or stopped before)
        Tony Thompson (never down or stopped before)
        Ruslan Chagaev (never down or stopped before)
        Monte Barrett (never down before, down 6 times in 2000 against Wladimir)
        Lamon Brewster (never down before his first fight with Wlad)
        David Bostice (never stopped, Wlad dropped him 4 times for a round 2 TKO)
        Eliseo Castillo
        Paea Wolfgramm
        Fabian Meza
        Najee Shaheed
        Zoran Vujecic
        Fabio Eduardo Moli
        Charles Shufford
        Axel Schulz

Wlad beat 8 previously undefeated fighters:

Mariusz Wach
        Ruslan Chagaev (former amateur world champion
        Sultan Ibragimov
        Calvin Brock
        Samuel Peter
        Eliseo Castillo
        Najee Shaheed
        Zoran Vujecic

As well as 12 people who had only one previous loss (Haye, Byrd, Chambers, etc)

He has 10 wins over world champions:

Byrd x 2, Peter X 2, Rahman, Chagaev, Haye, Ibragimov, Mormeck, Mercer

He is the 5th longest reigning Heavyweight Champion of all time with the 3rd most consecutive title defenses at 13. He holds the IBF, WBO and IBO records for the most heavyweight title defenses.

And Wladimir won Olympic Gold in Atlanta in 1996.

Comment

• Lack of Competition and 3 loses in his careers to nobody's. Not to mention he didn't have a good win streak till 2005 after picking up The Great Emanuel Steward.

He legitimately is a top 20, but no better with the history of amazing heavyweight boxers.

Comment

• He is top 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Die Antwoord View Post
              Wlad behind Riddick bowe? Based on what? The Holy fights? Dear god people. Wladimir Klitschko is the most dominant HW ever. I mean no one will even fight the guy. All I hear fans of Tyson, Ali, Bowe, Holyfield etc...talk about is prime. Yet if you even so mention Wlad they bring up Ross Purrity. Wlad isnt allowed to have a prime? Wlad just destroyed Peter, it was about as good of an example of how a fighter grows as any I can think of. First Peter fight we saw Wlad's defense as somewhat weak, he looked a bit uncomfortable and he looked more afraid of getting hit. This fight we saw him stand tall, block peters shots and control the distance much better. We saw him absolutely punish Peter for holding. Notice that Wlad wouldnt even hold back he'd literally just fall limp on Peter and put all of his weight on Peters back. Wlad is an animal right now, theres no stopping him, he enforces his will on every opponent. Unlike an Ali who fought down to his opponents quite often and who often had to come up with tricks and change his strategy for opponents, Wlad just goes out there and does his thing. Theres no adapting, he enforces his will on everyone he faces.
              This^^^ I missed posts from Die Antwoord

Wladimir is among the top 5 greatest heavyweights of all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by WladimirK View Post
                This^^^ I missed posts from Die Antwoord

Wladimir is among the top 5 greatest heavyweights of all time.
                No. Even Holyfield is greater.

Wlad is top 11-13 range around Liston and Patterson.

Ali
                Louis
                Holmes
                Lewis
                Marciano
                Foreman
                Frazier
                Holyfield
                Johnson
                Dempsey
                Tyson
                Liston
                Wlad
                Patterson
                Tunney
                Norton (maybe)

Comment

• Originally posted by UrDazed View Post
                  No. Even Holyfield is greater.

Wlad is top 11-13 range around Liston and Patterson.

Ali
                  Louis
                  Holmes
                  Lewis
                  Marciano
                  Foreman
                  Frazier
                  Holyfield
                  Johnson
                  Dempsey
                  Tyson
                  Liston
                  Wlad
                  Patterson
                  Tunney
                  Norton (maybe)
                  Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee won't work against Wladimir.

For me, the strongest heavyweight in history is Lennox. Behind him are the Klitschko brothers.

The rest is a toss up, whatever you prefer in history. I like Larry Holmes, Frazier, Tyson, Sonny Liston, Rocky, Dempsey, Max Schmeling... others.

One thing to realize nowadays is that the classic hw's where small by today's super hw's standards. They were simply smaller men and wouldn't compete with a skilled, supersized hw like Lennox or Wlad.

Comment

• I rate him in the top 5.

But I rate Vitali as number one. A prime Vitali cannot be beaten.

Comment

• Originally posted by WladimirK View Post
                      Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee won't work against Wladimir.

For me, the strongest heavyweight in history is Lennox. Behind him are the Klitschko brothers.

The rest is a toss up, whatever you prefer in history. I like Larry Holmes, Frazier, Tyson, Sonny Liston, Rocky, Dempsey, Max Schmeling... others.

One thing to realize nowadays is that the classic hw's where small by today's super hw's standards. They were simply smaller men and wouldn't compete with a skilled, supersized hw like Lennox or Wlad.
                      What are you even talking about? Did I say Ali beats Klitschko? If Brewster could why couldn't Ali? Silly logic really.

In terms of resume which is the criteria for ranking ATGs in their weightclass Wlad is a top 15 ATG at the weight.

Comment

Working...
                      X