No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Top Rank Prez Expects Big Things With New TruTV Series

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
    I would think that, unlike in the past with their Outdoor Life Network/Versus deal, that Top Rank would want to put on a higher quality of fights, considering that TruTV is part of Time Warner, which owns HBO, where they do much of their business.

These fight cards look like they'll basically be an extension of HBO Boxing.
    Ain't looking for another Versus incident... but these are a decent start.

Comment

Hell yea, I love truTV too. Forensic Files is my shiet.

Comment

gonna watch it, happy more boxing is on tv, FNF and then after the TruTV boxing would be nice

Comment

I'm definitely attending May 1...I was disappointed to see Baby Bull Diaz got injured and replaced, that would have been a feel good headliner. I'm not familiar with Ao, but just based on what I know of Beltran the fight is probably more evenly matched than it would have been against Diaz.

and I see one of my favorite prospects Zewski is on there, hell yea been looking forward to him stepping up competition and I'm excited to see him live

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
            Ain't looking for another Versus incident... but these are a decent start.
            Judging from the quotes from DuBoef and Hershman, talking about TruTV and HBO "collaborating" and HBO "lending support" leads me to believe that this won't really end up like the Versus deal.

Versus seemed to just hand Top Rank a pile of money and then gave them the reins.

TruTV, with some likely input from HBO, may have a better idea of what they're getting into and will probably want to take a more hands on approach.

Plus, the TV landscape has changed...Haymon has made his move to the networks and ESPN has canceled Friday Night Fights.

There's a need here for Top Rank, because there's a pretty big gap between UniMas and HBO.

Frankly, much of Top Rank's roster is below the HBO level right now, and while they're in the process of moving some of their fighters onto HBO (Gilberto Ramirez fought on HBO in January, Felix Verdejo will likely fight on HBO in June) there's other TR fighters that aren't at HBO's level and they need a tv outlet for them.

Some of the undercard fights I'd guess will probably be more showcase type fights for prospects - for guys like Jose Ramirez, Oscar Diaz, Saul Rodriguez, Julian Rodriguez, et al. - but the main events will hopefully be more likely to be solid, but not necessarily HBO level fights, for veteran guys like Ray Beltran, Matt Korobov, Glen Tapia, Seanie Monaghan, Jesse Vargas, Diego Magdaleno.
            Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 03-30-2015, 04:16 PM.

Comment

This is Dan Rafael's piece on the deal.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-boxing-series

He doesn't add too much to this story...just more about the relationship between the channels.

Says HBO "will help market the series" and that Turner Sports (which includes MLB on TBS, NBA on TNT) will also "assist in marketing".

Comment

I like it, as it fills the void left by Friday Night Fights. There is more boxing on television than I can ever remember.

Comment