• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loses Decision to Hagler

Could go either way vs Toney

He upsets Jones

He easily beats Hopkins

Against Hearns I think he can survive only aggression and get a Kayo late.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
      How do you think Golovkin would have done in the late 80s-early 90s MW division? Against the likes of:

McCallum
      Toney
      Jones
      Hopkins
      Kalambay

Could he hold his own?
      Haven't seen much of McCallum nor Kalambay but I don't think he beats any of the other three more than 3 times in ten and that might be generous.

Additionally, Hagler beats him up pretty bad and stops GGG in 8.

Comment

Loses to each and everyone of them without making it difficult either, he has never shown to be anywhere near those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
          Dude he would've been like 5
          That's it. End the thread right there because it will not see a better answer posted.

Comment

I think he could more than hold his old. The longer great fighters of the past have been retired the greater they become in people's minds. GGG is here right now and he has knocked out over 20 middleweights in a row. Many of his KO victims were top 10 world rated at the time he destroyed them. Could any of those middleweights of the 80s and 90s knock out all the guys GGG knocked out? I doubt it. I think GGG beats Toney. Toney had close fights with some average middleweights and he sure didn't KO all of his opponents. I think GGG also beats McCallum and Kalambay. Both of them lost their share of fights and sure didn't KO everyone like GGG does. Jones and Hopkins were all time greats who were damn near unbeatable in their prime so I can't say for sure if GGG beats either of them. GGG has never lost a fight and seldom loses a round. He almost always ends his fights in a KO. Until I see someone make GGG struggle or give him a close fight I can't say for sure Hopkins or Jones would beat him. For now I'll make him even money with Hopkins and Jones and favor him to beat the other three great middleweights. GGG is facing his most dangerous opponent next so I'll soon see how he does with a fast handed killer puncher.

Comment

How do you think Golovkin would have done in the late 80s-early 90s MW division? Against the likes of:

McCallum
              Toney
              Jones
              Hopkins
              Kalambay

Could he hold his own?
              Well one thing's for sure, GGG wouldn't have wasted 4 or 5 years of his prime chasing cowards like Sturm, Martinez and Cotto. Whether the stronger competition would've made him wilt or grow, we have yet to see. Can't see him getting through Jones, Toney and Hopkins, though he just might've upset one or two of them.

Comment

Mike McCallum was better than Hopkins. At his peak he was better than anyone on that list bar Roy. And even Roy knows a prime McCallum would have been hell for him.

Comment

McCallum
                  Toney
                  Jones
                  Hopkins
                  Kalambay

Could he hold his own?
                  McCallum - I think Golovkin takes a close decision, I think, ironically, Golovkins body attack will be the difference!

Toney - 50/50 in my mind, I would favour Golovkins work rate, body attack and smart pressure to outwork Toney over the distance again!

Jones - at 160 it's hard to bet against Roy, the guy was ridiculous in the 90's, but with GGGs power you never know! Golovkin clearly has the better chin, and roy ducked a hell of a lot of guys at 160/168 still Roy by unanimous decision

Hopkins - I don't think B-Hop was at his best in the early to mid 90s, he was sort of learning on the job with his late start in boxing! Golovkin beats him by unanimous decision

Kalambay - I like kalambay, good choice and very underrated! But unfortunately I think Golovkin takes him out quicker than "second to nunn"

Comment

Mike McCallum, Toney, Nunn, and Roy jones would have been heavy favorites in my book]

prime Hopkins undresses him

How'd to gauge him when he hasn't faced punchers with skills like Gerald McClellan, Julian Jackson, Benn, etc

He'd have took at least 5 losses fighting the 154-160 in the 80s and 90s not to mention Marvin Hagler, Chris Eubank

this era at middleweight is weak as when Hopkins was lineal champion in the earlier 2000's

Comment

McCallum
                      Toney
                      Jones
                      Hopkins
                      Kalambay

Could he hold his own?
                      GGG hasn't fought anyone of substance yet to warrant this question IMO! The guys usually listed as GGG's best wins to date are Geale, Murray, and Macklin LMAO! I don't really see anything special at all about GGG except his power(although I'm not fully sold on that until he's VADA or USADA tested and he KO's a higher caliber opponent while being tested). Apparently I've watched more GGG fights than most of his fanboys... I still remember the Ouma fight lol. He's got 20 consecutive KO's doe. Only like 6 being rated within the top 10 of his weak division at the time lol. GGG's record and accolades so far I compare to putting glitter on a pile of shit. No matter how fancy you try and make it, it's still shit!

McCallum(underrated) vs GGG(overrated): McCallum by UD possible T/KO

Toney vs GGG: Toney by UD possible T/KO

Jones Jr. vs GGG: Jones Jr. by EASY 12rd UD possible T/KO and I'd lean toward the T/KO

Hopkins vs GGG: Hopkins by boring UD using his patented "veteran tacticz" like the right hand lead + headbutt combo.

Kalambay vs GGG: Kalambay by UD

I don't think GGG could hold his own against most of the better late 80's-early 90's boxers. GGG has done nothing to suggest that he could as of yet and he's 33 already lol! Until GGG beats a decent fighter I have everyone listed beating him. GGG would only have a slight punchers chance against some of them. Watch the Ouma fight please... the bloated and shot Ouma that GGG fought IMO is one of the best fighters he's faced so far.

Nunn vs GGG

Hagler vs GGG

Barkley vs GGG

Hearns vs GGG

Benn vs GGG

McClellan vs GGG

Eubanks vs GGG

Mugabi vs GGG

Comment

Working...
                      X