No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Martinez-Golovkin, Ward-Pavlik, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Martinez-Golovkin, Ward-Pavlik, More

By Robert Morales - Promoter Lou DiBella said something very interesting in the post-fight news conference following Sergio Martinez's unanimous decision victory over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Sept. 15 at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

"At 37 years old, he is going to fight the biggest possible fight," DiBella said of Martinez, who took Chavez's middleweight championship belt.

It was therefore not all that surprising to hear DiBella's reaction Wednesday when we asked him what he thought about Martinez taking on fellow middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin in a unification bout.

"Who would give a flying f**k, and why are you even asking?" DiBella said. "Who knows Gennady Golovkin other than you, me and a few other people? How many people would he bring to the table? How much money would he generate? He is the last guy ... He is a very good fighter, but it's a fight that economically makes no sense."

It was suggested to DiBella that perhaps he is afraid to put Martinez in with Golovkin, a very heavy-handed fighter who is 24-0 with 21 knockouts. DiBella assured us that is absolutely not the case, that it's strictly business. [Click Here To Read More]

lol, sounded like Bob Arum there for a second with his tirade

Comment

that comment made by chavez sr. is one of the main reasons julio HIGHvez jr got whipped. roach is nowhere near being the best trainer in the world. maybe sr. was high when they hired him. another reason for the loss is that jr can only fight oneway.and that oneway has problems with boxer punchers that can move.

Comment

I always feel bad for the reporter on the other side of that rant. Can't be blamed for asking that question, even if he was going to get that response.

Comment

Give it a rest lou.Martinez just had his nice paycheck.Time to fight
          ggg next year.

Comment

Calling Proksa a stiff is unfair. He looked like a guy with legit skills that just couldn't handle the kind of power that Golovkin was bringing.

Comment

I'm a big Golovkin fan & I agree with DiBella - Golovkin needs to generate some name recognition in the states & beat a couple of the other major fighters.

Mathew Macklin is the most likely next opponent for Golovkin, as HBO featured both of them on cards, & would likely be a great fight.
              Then hopefully either Geale, Pirog, or the winner of N'Jikam vs Quillan.

Martin Murray is another good, credible opponent with some name recognition due to his draw with Sturm, & is looking for a big fight.
              But the important thing for Golovkin is stay busy & not get stuck on the shelf by HBO waiting for the big fight.

Comment

DiBella always acts like so hostile when anyone suggests Martinez fighting Golovkin. Or Pirog. Or Kirkland. Or Sturm. Or pretty much anyone not named Chavez it seems. Yeah, Martinez is 37, but Berto was in his prime and LDB was still working as hard as possible to get him the easiest fights he could. Some people want Martinez-Golovkin next, some people don't, but the reality is that Lou wouldn't go for that fight even if Martinez was 27.

You have to wonder if he expects GG's team to say "Well we're good, but Martinez is so great, we're not worthy to face him, praise be unto him" or something. Of course people are going to call for the fight because he looks like the biggest challenge to Martinez at 160. You put your guy in with Barker and Macklin but when it's a guy who just won by KO on HBO he isn't well-known enough.

Then you have Scaefer backing him up, which is predictable considering that he refused to put Quillin in with Golovkin as he wasn't a big enough name, then straight after he got N'Jikam as an opponent, who is less well known and of course a lesser fighter.

I don't mind Ward-Pavlik because Ward has fought such tough opposition in recent years. But Goosen saying stuff about how nobody gave Douglas a chance against Tyson is unnecessary, they always use that line when there's a mismatch.

Promoters these days eh?

Still a very good read though, Insider Notebook is always one of the best articles on the site imo.

Comment

If Martinez is really intent on 154 & Triple G says he can fight there, team Martinez should take him there & get it done. Show the world his capable of making 154.

If Martinez does that, the win should be more credible than a ginger or a Cotto & back Floyd even further into a corner.

Comment

I don't understand why opponents like Barker, Macklin, and Dzinziruk were feasable at the time Martinez fought them? Did anyone ever "hear of them"?

Golovkin at least was on HBO 1 time, which is more than all 3 of the fighters that i previously mentioned before Martinez fought them.

So it's ok for some fighters, but not for one who is recognized as the top 1-2 160 lb'er in the world.

If Martinez is trying to get paid, I get it. But what I don't get is, if he doesn't fight Cotto, Chavez, Canelo, or Floyd...who is worthy of Dibella's great attraction Sergio Martinez?

Comment

Working...
                    X