Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official "Moto X" Thread (Design The Phone YourSelf)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BimmerBenz95 View Post
    You might be right but Motorola is a Google company so there is a chance it could cost $300-400. The Moto X doesn't have the high end specs like the GS4 or HTC One which costs $599 and $649 in the Google Play Store, so I don't see how they can price the Moto X that high.
    Google doesn't make much money (if any) off of the Nexus 4. That's why it's cheap. The Nexus phones are for enthusiast (nerds), not mass market. Which is why it's not really promoted or marketed heavily.

The Moto X is a flagship device by Motorola. Google had a hand in it but it doesn't seem like they were "that involved" in it. Motorola is trying to get away from the spec war and focusing on what you're phone can actually do. They're taking the Apple iPhone approach. If you look at the iPhone specs, they are not very high or powerful compared to say the GS4 or the HTC One but yet the 16GB iPhone 5 is priced around the same range. Moto X isn't the highest spec'd out device either but like I've said, they're not focused on power but more on user experience which I'm all for.

Going back to price, if they sold this phone cheaper on paper it would automatically say to consumers like hey this phone is cheaper so it's probably not as good as the high end devices huh? I think that's why they priced it as high as it is. They are trying to make money off this. I don't see the Google Play Edition being "cheap". I expect it to be around that $600-$700 range. I don't see the point in Play Edition phones. Just buy a Nexus phone, that's the end of complaining about custom UI's. But that's just my opinion on it. If the Google Play Moto X is cheap than what's the point of the next Nexus?

Comment

So is a Google play phone the same as a Nexus? Is it sworn to get all updates when they come out?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Doomzday View Post
        So is a Google play phone the same as a Nexus? Is it sworn to get all updates when they come out?
        Not exactly. Nexus phones are supported by Google so they will for sure get updates right away, at least GSM will. CDMA use different coding so most likely those updates will go through the manufacturer/carrier. Google Play edition devices run the STOCK Android OS but the updates are still pushed by the manufacturer/carrier. But they give the impression their Google Play devices should be getting the Android updates sooner than their non-Google Play variants. It's not supported by Google the same as a Nexus is. I was on XDA and this developer said this S4 Google Edition is not truly Google because it runs TouchWiz kernel, not AOSP.

If you want updates right away, buy a Nexus phone (GSM). Google Play edition phones are more for people who want those top end hardware spec's, processor, good camera (S4), 1080p HD, but they want it on a "stock android experience". But then again you can just root your non-google edition phone and flash an AOSP based Rom to get the same thing, stock Android + more customization.

Comment

Motorola Moto X Review! by Marques Brownlee (MKBHD)

Comment

Working...
          X