Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers In Street Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most pro boxers, even ones that are known for being defensive or light/modest punchers, would do SERIOUS damage in a street fight.

The average joe would be put in the hospital by Paulie Malignaggi or Cory Spinks, unless they showed some mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      A professional boxer knows how to punch with or without protection. They also know how to keep their thumbs in and which knuckles to punch with. I've heard a lot of them talk about that.
      That didn't stop professional boxer Mike Tyson from hurting his hand on Mitch Green's head.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        That didn't stop professional boxer Mike Tyson from hurting his hand on Mitch Green's head.

Your hand can break in a fight regardless of whether you know how to throw punches or not.In addition to that, Green was a professional fighter himself. He wasn't the average person on the street.

My point was professional boxer's are not ignorant when it comes to throwing punches whether they're wrapped or not.
        Last edited by joseph5620; 01-31-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

First off: The real answer to this question can best be answered by a martial arts principle: You fight the way you train, you will excel in the conditions you train for.

Boxers would not clean the bar out if they were attacked by weapons, or by multiple opponents. Boxers do well when someone stands at a distance and wants to throw punches.

Grapplers do not throw punches and would be trying to grab. Its easier to grab than to make a punch land on a moving target....but grapplers have habits that make them very vulnerable to knives. Different vulnerabilities present based on the training one brings to the table, hence the study of martial arts.

I bounced for years and observed that there are many types of fights. When people get stupid and want to do whats called the monkey dance "oh yeah?" guy hits other guy with his finger in the chest...."Oh yeah!?" other guy hits the guy back in the chest with a shove....well the first guy to throw a decent punch will probably win. Boxers look spectacular in these situations so do karate men, etc.

Real street fights are not punch outs. They involve weapons, cheap shots, multiple opponents screaming women, etc. The skill in winning these fights involves everything but the time spent trading punches....You have to recognize the ambush, know where the walls are, see the other guys involved and know how to use weapons at the very least.

When I would get into a situation with a guy who squared up and looked like a boxer type I would act like I was going to oblige and inevitably the groin would open up as a target because....the same skills that teach one to look great punching mean keeping the hands up. I bring this up purely as an example of how training great for one scenerio can lead to other habits that will get one "handled." Also...a lot of cheap shot lovers look for when your head goes down and you seem to be scared to look them in the eye....To bad for these predators that when one knows how to use peripheral vision, even their fastest punch can be seen a mile away.

Also, the toughest fighter athletes that I dealt with are judo players and wrestlers...hard to hurt those guys and they can turn you over real quick...also they like to let punchers hit em in the head. Even the best puncher has a hard time connecting to the sweet spots when a man is charging them with head down and grabbing their arms. Again, a great puncher who knows not how to sprawl would not look too good in this situation.

the mistake people make with punching and hand position is that differnt horses for differnet courses. you hit different targets with different parts of the hand. you can do short vertical punches with the pinkey but they are to soft targets to the body...if you hit the chin it naturally conforms to the front knuckles on the hand in a vertical strike (this is only one way to strike). However if I try to vertical strike a boxer his reach and movement would get me tuned up! One has to know this! And nobody made a law that you have to hit an area with a lot of force all the time. a finger to the throat or plexis is devistating and takes little more than a slap.

Finallly...real street fighters do things that could really hurt a boxer. try punching when your ears have been slapped with cupped hands....heck try standing!

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Finallly...real street fighters do things that could really hurt a boxer. try punching when your ears have been slapped with cupped hands....heck try standing!
            That is devastating. And relatively easy to execute for the average person.

Comment

In Russia, every year, there are several accidents when boxers (national championship competion level type of boxers) are being killed in street fights, usually by stabbing, baseball bats, gang beating, and shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                That is devastating. And relatively easy to execute for the average person.
                Indeed. Most people do not have the temperement to actually do things like poke an eye or hit the ears this way. Men are socialized to throw a punch when enraged...women have to be taught to strike out and it is not natural for them to punch. But in other social milleus, like prison for example, it can be quite natural to do things like this. With women part of the training is often simply teaching them that it is ok to get angry when physically threatened instead of scared. the most mild mannered women can be taught to imagine an attacker is going to harm her kids and she will become quite able to do nasty things to her attacker.

So much of the training is social in nature and an average person properly trained psychologically foremost, then physically can do things like an ear strike.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Your hand can break in a fight regardless of whether you know how to throw punches or not.In addition to that, Green was a professional fighter himself. He wasn't the average person on the street.

My point was professional boxer's are not ignorant when it comes to throwing punches whether they're wrapped or not.
                  I told this story once before here: One night while bouncing in the club next store there was one squirt...all of about maybe 140 pounds or so, who had enraged three steriod taking bouncers. So here is the result. The "squirt" without so much as throwing a punch, put two of the bouncers in the hospital. Hint: he did not have magical chi, and was scared as any "squirt" would be when pursued by 3 juice swilling muscle heads bent on doing damage.

Here is what happened: Bouncer number one throws a viscious left (or right?) squirt ducks, punch connects to the parking meter. Bouncer number two jumping towards squirt throws viscious overhand....squirt moves away towards the street, bouncer number two trips over bouncer number one and punch hits the sidewalk....Squirt outruns bouncer number three.

Bouncer number one and two go to hospital with broken hands. Yes! people often break hands! another time we had a major kurfuffle and one of our guys broke his hand hitting a guy in the chest who happened to have a gun. the bouncer had hit the gun.

Comment

Working...
                  X