Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whom do you think has the best leaping left hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roy.

mosley also had a great one.

Comment

Its Smokin' Joe Frazier, at 5'10" Joe gave away height in ever bout in his career. His leaping in with the hook was a must and he could hurt and stop people with it! Ask Ali! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by faruk1 View Post

Roy Jones jr
        Mike Tyson
        Joe Frazier
        Floyd Patterson
        Im surprise you didnt say Floyd. But I dont think Floyd started using that until he fought JMM. He was throwing that all night. And against Canelo in the 2nd round he through a good one. But I think he only started using it recently. I think him and Brad Solomon are present fighters who have a great one. But Roy Jones used to do that move all the time. Beautiful punch

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
          Jump to the 1 minute mark, Floyd shows glimpses of it, lands a couple of them

He was throwing a superman leaping hook against JMM, and thats what he dropped him with. But he threw a great one in the second round against Canelo. The hooks in this video are good, but Im talking about the Roy Jones leap when he has a foot of space between your foot and his foot, and he leaps across the ring to land it. Brad Soloman has it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
            Jump to the 1 minute mark, Floyd shows glimpses of it, lands a couple of them

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
            He was throwing a superman leaping hook against JMM, and thats what he dropped him with. But he threw a great one in the second round against Canelo. The hooks in this video are good, but Im talking about the Roy Jones leap when he has a foot of space between your foot and his foot, and he leaps across the ring to land it. Brad Soloman has it too.
            I noticed he mostly throws it during 1st round in his last few fights to test his opponent's guard.

Mosley protected himself from it by keeping a high right hand close to the face, and Floyd's last few opponents have followed suit.

Floyd's been relying more on his jab, which is a great thing, and less on the leaping hook ever since coming out of retirement.

Comment

RJJ and Frazier. RJJ had astonishing speed, Frazier, primed and ready, astonishing power coupled with very good speed. Plus Fraziers was the most watchable left hook I've ever seen, possibly the most watchable punch ever, coupled with Ali's right hand, Foreman's upper cuts, Pacquiao's Manila Ice and Robinson's over hand right.

Comment

Originally posted by faruk1 View Post

Roy Jones jr
                Mike Tyson
                Joe Frazier
                Floyd Patterson
                I don't call Jones's left hook a "leaping" one.

The best, both from an efficiency point and from a stylish point was undoubtedly Floyd Patterson's. I think the description must have been invented for him, because I'd never heard of it before, nor seen it, until Paterson came on the scene. And I read everything.

He was like a caged tiger getting ready to jump as soon as the gate was opened. he was like a fizz-bomb, and exploded in the most beautifully crafted punch I've ever seen. You could see his ferocity building up, and his transferring weight from side to side, getting ready to make that sudden attack, where both feet would actually leave the ground. And it was generally a finisher.

No question, Floyd Patterson.

Comment

Currently: Mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    RJJ and Frazier. RJJ had astonishing speed, Frazier, primed and ready, astonishing power coupled with very good speed. Plus Fraziers was the most watchable left hook I've ever seen, possibly the most watchable punch ever, coupled with Ali's right hand, Foreman's upper cuts, Pacquiao's Manila Ice and Robinson's over hand right.
                    Have another look. Frazier's left hook came from a firmly planted left foot on the canvas. Jones was a sudden attack, but his feet were on the canvas, at least one of them. Patterson propelled himself like a projectile towards his opponent, with both feet off the ground, the only one who can be said to have used a 'leaping' left hook.

The phrase was invented for him. I liked Frazier, although I think he is ranked too highly, and Jones was superb, a one of a kind. Patterson was only a muscled up middleweight, who did wonders with what he had, a heavyweight punch and a middleweight chin.

And one of the last "Gentlemen of the Ring" who could have been used as role models for young people. He has all of my respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Public_Enemy View Post
                      Roy Jones Jr.
                      Tyson
                      Floyd

Those are my favorites.
                      Shane Mosley gets a mention. He would crank it and land it vicious. Speed/power wise hes up there with roy's it was deadly and could also land it from a standstill. Shane was sl explosive people forget .

Comment

Working...
                      X