Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Maidana deserve a fight against Floyd over Khan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Maidana deserve a fight against Floyd over Khan?

Khan has been knocked out twice. One of those times was as a 21 year-old who was put in with a way too good lightweight puncher at the time.

He has always gotten back up and wanted to continue fighting. Now, i'm not saying Maidana has a weak chin or anything like that - but he's been down just as many times as Khan - including a hard one by Khan as well. Khan's chin is thought of as being worse than it really is. Case in point, the Maidana fight.

Can Mayweather stop Maidana? Yes - by a bodyshot. Khan he stop Khan? Yes - with one of those left hooks he was so happy throwing back in the mid 00s.

Is it likely? No.

Who would cause Mayweather more problems? Khan easily. Maidana has been outboxed on multiple occasions against inferior opposition to Mayweather, i.e Alexander, Khan, Kotelnik (to a degree) and had major issues with a past it past it Chop Chop. He also had a horrific time against Erik Morales who had gone from being El Terrible to being just terrible.

As Virgil Hunter rightly pointed out a couple of days ago, Mayweather has become accustomed to the latino style of fighting having made his way through the featherweight amateur ranks as well as the super featherweight/lightweight divisions as a pro - that were predominantly dominated by latino fighters. Other than Castillo in the first fight, and maybe Cotto, I don't recall him ever having problems with a latino/hispanic fighter, despite them taking up half his resume.

I will be severely disappointed if Maidana is chosen - because I know what's coming. Despite being a hard puncher, Maidana is not pin point accurate and his not particularly fast. He's developed his footwork since Garcia, but it would be a sparring session for Mayweather - just like the Canelo fight just worse. Common notion is that he is more deserving of a fight based on the win over Broner - but equally, the same people say Broner is a lightweight, he's flatfooted and hasn't got a punch at 147. Which one is it?

He would have to fight against Khan - like he had to against Hatton. And we saw what happened there. It would be far more intriguing in my opinion.
    Last edited by LacedUp; 12-29-2013, 10:01 AM.

Well cause Maidana has actually done something at welterweight for starters? maybe??

Comment

Maidana's an established welterweight on a notable winning streak. Khan is 2-2 in his last 4, with both his losses against the best fighters he fought, and has never fought at welterweight.

I agree that Khan would give Mayweather more problems, but if we're asking who deserves it more, the answer is easily Maidana.

Comment

Neither of them do really.

However, Maidana doesn't get wobbled when his wife kisses him on the cheek.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          Well cause Maidana has actually done something at welterweight for starters? maybe??
          What has he done at WW? He beat a lightweight and lost to a junior ww decisively. He then won a paper belt from another lightweight that had it handed to him.

Does that count as "done something"?
          Last edited by LacedUp; 12-29-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Maidana's an established welterweight on a notable winning streak. Khan is 2-2 in his last 4, with both his losses against the best fighters he fought, and has never fought at welterweight.

I agree that Khan would give Mayweather more problems, but if we're asking who deserves it more, the answer is easily Maidana.
            Because he beat Broner? Khan has beaten better fighters than Maidana has all through his career. Too much focus is being put on the Garcia loss imo.

And so would you prefer a Khan fight vs a Maidana fight based on the fact that Khan would give Floyd more problems? Or are we beginning to look after the fighters best interests as fans, or do we want to see good fights?

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              What has he done at WW? He beat two lightweights and lost to a junior ww decisively.

And beat Soto karass.

Does that count as "done something"?
              And that's more than what Khan's done..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                And that's more than what Khan's done..............
                Is it more than beating the guy Broner beat for the WW belt much more decisively? Or beat Maidana at his prime? Or Zab Judah who was champ at the time? Or beat Kotelnik who beat Maidana? a 2 time lightweight champion in Diaz?

Nobody cares about the weight. None of the three people we talk about are WWs anyway. It's about the fight.

Comment

Is it more than beating the guy Broner beat for the WW belt much more decisively? Or beat Maidana at his prime? Or Zab Judah who was champ at the time? Or beat Kotelnik who beat Maidana? a 2 time lightweight champion in Diaz?

Nobody cares about the weight. None of the three people we talk about are WWs anyway. It's about the fight.
                  It's all about the weight. The facts are Maidana has done more at 147, (the weight the fight will be contested at). He's done better in these last years. His loss to Khan was years ago, he holds a title, Khan has done noting in years, facts.

Comment

Because he humiliated "baby Floyd", the one most claimed was the future king of boxing.

I will be severely disappointed if Maidana is chosen - because I know what's coming. Despite being a hard puncher, Maidana is not pin point accurate and his not particularly fast. He's developed his footwork since Garcia, but it would be a sparring session for Mayweather - just like the Canelo fight just worse. Common notion is that he is more deserving of a fight based on the win over Broner - but equally, the same people say Broner is a lightweight, he's flatfooted and hasn't got a punch at 147. Which one is it?
                    Canelo was a 24 year old boy, Maidana is a 30 veteran man in his prime. While I still think Floyd is the all time greatest cherrrypicker who cleverly avoided the more dangerous boxers thus remained "undefeated", Maidana just might be the cherry he chokes on an dies. Like Broner, they see him as a boxer with limited skills, then again, he's strenght may just be enough to catch up with Floyd and beat him. You say Maidana isnt fast, ok, but then again he threw nearly a thousand punches in his last fight, enough to gives Broner more Maidana than be could handle during all 12 rounds. While Floyd would still be favorite, he better run and counter looking for that SD or UD. It would be the fight people thought Canelo could do (and they were of course wrong).

Comment

Working...
                    X