Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's so Scientific about the "Sweet Science"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
    That does not involve mathematics.

Can someone educate me more on this matter please?
    Boxing's a thinking man's game. Lots of thinking happens in the sciences. Just a comparison however, as other have pointed out, a great deal goes on in your body whenever you train that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
      What scientific methods are they if you don't mind me asking?
      http://boxing.isport.com/boxing-guid...-sweet-science

Comment

Didn't even know this.

Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard both received their nicknames from the phrase “sweet science.” Both fighters used technical, adroit strategies to outclass opponents. Ray Robinson’s trainer, George Gainford, gave Robinson the nickname when he was an amateur. Gainford said Robinson was “sweet as sugar.” The nickname stuck and was subsequently used to describe the other Ray (Leonard) when he arrived on the boxing scene.

Comment

Watch and learn.

Comment

golf, ping pong, tennis and judo are just as scientific as boxing

like someone else said, someone tagged it the "sweet science" and it had a ring to it and spread from there.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson once said that he didn't punch very hard brutally. However he timed, placed and through his punches at the correct angles. Making it devastating.

Hell, even the principle of landing a shot on the chin is Physics. Since the distance from the brain(central rotation point essentially) to the chin is the biggest on your head, hitting the chin will result in more angular momentum being transferred to the brain, shaking it more violently.

Comment

Originally posted by punchville View Post
                it's just a fancy word for it.....any movement can be associated with science, even jerking off....

i bet my tugging handspeed is faster than dawson and the snake combined. :wank:
                Last edited by Bobby No Sex; 03-22-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby No Sex View Post

i bet my handspeed tug is faster than dawson and the snake combined. :wank:
                  i bet youre right...youre the dirtiest old man of pinoy lounge bobby!... hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
                    Boxing takes a calculated approach,foot placement,distance,timing,reflexes,remaining calm in a stressful situation.its not just about throwing a bunch of punches and getting hit in the face.boxing is a art,while im throwing a punch im also still in position to evade your counter and vise versa..........
                    This. To add- your body position determining which punch to throw and when, what not to throw, where to escape, timing, anticipation, and it's just so much that goes into it. Get in a gym and learn from the ground up for a year.

No disrespect, but if you have to ask at this point, the technical aspect just goes over your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
                      Boxing takes a calculated approach,foot placement,distance,timing,reflexes,remaining calm in a stressful situation.its not just about throwing a bunch of punches and getting hit in the face.boxing is a art,while im throwing a punch im also still in position to evade your counter and vise versa..........
                      ^THE PERFECT ANSWER!

It is also like Checkers and Chess, most prefer Checkers because it is Easier and moves at a Faster Past, compared to Chess which requires a lot of THINKING and it moves at a much slower pace

and Master Chess Player (Boxer) sits back and watch your every move and wait for you to make a mistake then he jumps on you and make you pay for every Wrong Move/Mistake you make, only people who truly has a understand for the game of Chess (Boxer) can appreciate the SKILLS, while the Checkers (Brawler) Fans calls Chess "BORING" because they just don't understand what they are watching

Also a Master Chess Player is good at both CHECKERS AND CHESS while and while most Checkers Players can't play Chess because they don't understand it

might be too philosophical for this forum but it is so true if you really think about it
                      Last edited by KnockUTheFukOut; 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X