Current Wladimir vs the Best Version of Mike Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson shatters that glass jaw

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    I've addressed similar topics several times over the years. Suffice it so say that I believe Mike Tyson, at his very best, was capable of beating any heavyweight that ever walked the face of the earth.
    I think Ali's chin would stand up to Tyson's assault

Comment

Tyson all day everyday. The bodyshots and uppercuts would be the key.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Except for Douglas, who beat a prime 24 year old Tyson.
        Originally posted by HardSpar View Post
        That wasn't Tyson at his best no where near, he wasn't preparing for the fight right and was even getting knocked down in sparring.
        How good could you be if you're no longer at your best at 24 years old. If Tyson was going through wars since he was 15-15 like a Mexican, it would be more believable. Nobody ever gives Douglas any credit, his motivation was his mother's then recent death. It's all about Tyson. In losing or winning it's all about him, Douglas not being intimidated had nothing to do with it.
        When I say, "Tyson at his very best," I mean at his very pinnacle on a given night. The night of the Douglas fight, Buster fought his utmost best, while Tyson did not. That's not to say that Tyson was already washed up, but few serious boxing fans would argue that Tyson was at his peak in that bout.

Human beings are not machines. We have good days and bad days. We cannot function at maximum capacity 100% of the time. I'm not knocking Buster's achievement, but the stars were aligned perfectly for him that night. Douglas brought it, and the Tyson that showed up wasn't the wrecking machine he usually was. If they fought a hundred times, Buster would probably point to Tokyo as his sole victory.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoHooker View Post
          I think Ali's chin would stand up to Tyson's assault
          Ali had an ATG chin, among other qualities.

I'm not trying to say that Mike Tyson was the best heavyweight of all time, or anything of the sort. During Tyson's heyday, when he was already being touted as possibly the GOAT heavyweight, I argued with some serious boxing fans that Ali would've beaten him.

What I am saying is purely this (each word taken at face value): At his very peak, Tyson was capable of beating any heavyweight that ever lived. We're talking about one night, 100% Mike Tyson, not the shadow we saw against Douglas, for example.

Comment

wlad too big and powerful for him not to mention his long jab and powerful right hand. wlad by ko

Comment

and another thing, 2 of the most overrated fighters on this forum are roy jones and tyson. yes they were great but come on

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                Prime Tyson has every ability to KO any HW in history (except maybe prime Ali).
                Prime Tyson could've KOed anyone on his best night, including prime Ali. Even Ali's vaunted chin couldn't withstand repeated Mike Tyson blows. The thing is that Ali would've had the reflexes to avoid repeated shots. He would've had the wherewithal to tie-up, and the jab to keep Tyson at bay. Ali would've had the movement to elude the fury of Tyson's assault. And, of course, Ali had the final line of defense, his awesome chin to weather the occasional bomb that was sure to land.

Comment

How good could you be if you're no longer at your best at 24 years old. If Tyson was going through wars since he was 15-15 like a Mexican, it would be more believable. Nobody ever gives Douglas any credit, his motivation was his mother's then recent death. It's all about Tyson. In losing or winning it's all about him, Douglas not being intimidated had nothing to do with it.
                  I recall the fight very well, as I was certain that Tyson would beat Douglas in about 4 rounds.
                  But all the talk at thetime was that Tyson was skipping training and spending all his time in Geisha houses. He was regularly spotted in the early hours of the morning in the Ginza which was then a rowdy 24/7 "entertainment" area of Tokyo. He only began to do some training about a week before the fight. I think there was a discipline problem as well, because just a fight or two before, his wife Givens had fired Rooney, so he was more or less his own boss....a bad thing to let the very young, wilful Tyson be.

Don't forget-we all seem to- that in the fight itself, when Douglas was knocked down, he got a 14 second count. I counted it myself, and have confirmed it. And this was the best Douglas of his career. So this wasn't Tyson at his peak, by a long way off. It would have still been good enough to beat the normal Douglas, but, as we all know, a different Douglas showed up.

Comment

Tyson KO 1

No contest

Tyson would KO this f@ggot with a grazing jab even if he had his guard up

The greatest heavyweight of all time against a glass jawed fraud fighting in the weakest era?

Anyone who picked Wlad should be ashamed and get a neurological exam done ... even a drug addict wouldn't pick Wlad over Iron Mike Tyson
                    Last edited by TysonBomb; 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sk819 View Post
                      wlad too big and powerful for him not to mention his long jab and powerful right hand. wlad by ko
                      He doesn't throw his jab nearly like he used to. He spends most of the time pawing and batting away with it. In the old days he would deliver that jab like a ramrod, and deadly accurate. Then his very straight, fast right hand would come over, deadly.....

Comment

Working...
                      X