No announcement yet.

My Admittedly Biased Opinion on Cotto vs May

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Admittedly Biased Opinion on Cotto vs May

Cotto is a pressure fighter, a stalker. Naturally, he has trouble with punch output and pressure thrown back at him. If you can take his punches and beat him down hard, Cotto may lose. Now, if he can take your punches -- you might be fast, slick, wateva, he's going to walk you down with that jab and kick your ass. Unless Floyd pulls an Ali vs Foreman and applies pressure to Cotto when no one expects it (which by the way I don't put past him), I think Cotto finds his range and wins. But Floyd is smart and knows Cotto will be defeated with pressure. I just don't see a determined, came here to fight Cotto letting him do that though. Well, as long as he comes to give the fight of his life.

Mayweather, the king of the one-punch and get out of harms way, will win early rounds. But this offensive game won't be enough. Cotto knows this and will train for it. I don't even have to mention how good this trainer is for learning to fight counter-punches, that's what the Cubans do.

Cotto will not recklessly try and KO Floyd but after cutting that ring off Cotto will find his range after maybe 3 rounds or 4 and start landing those combinations. Floyd will be confused and flustered around the 8th when he gets into his corner. Uncle Roger won't be of great help, there's a disconnect there. Cotto will come out his corner following the Castillo blueprint, being thee busier man, forcing Floyd to open up if he wants to win rounds. He will win some exchanges but lose most. Cotto is a calculated puncher who will keep the pressure for 12 rounds, always punching. If May tries to bully him I see Cotto using his leverage much like with Margarito. Cotto takes this with a UD or possible late TKO. Hey, if I'm wrong **** it, but I think Cotto has what it takes to sustain the game-plan for 12 rounds. I think he really wants this and I'll be flying out to support him.

I may be one in very few on here but I have some great boxing buddies and trainers who like Roach give Cotto more than a shot. Some who even like Floyd, but always felt Cotto was a guy to beat him. One of my most knowledgeable buddies thinks Cotto without beating Margarito, had no shot, but now that his confidence is up, he says Cotto's mental will be on point. And the mental is 75%-90% of the game. Something I try to tell the haters who like to **** on Cotto Post Margarito. They never fought and don't know what that does to a fighters mind. All opinions welcome, it'd be nice if we can maintain a sense of decency even if we disagree.

rewatch the pacquiao fight, pacquiao was outboxing Cotto.

Mayweather said immediately after this fight was signed that he'll be coming forward and applying pressure. Cotto is much less effective on the backfoot than he is the front.

Floyd can easily bully Cotto. Mayweather was able to push around clinch fest guys like Hatton and Mosley. Cotto who just learned how to clinch in his last daycare session isn't going to be able to touch a veteran in this arena.

Comment

It's been a long ass time since Cotto broke down a fighter in any impressive way. He's become much more of a boxer than a stalker.

And Floyd will walk at him. Bank on it.

Comment

BOTH good points... I know in my mind that Floyd will try the pressure tactic, it really is the best way.

My question is based on May's punch output. If he isn't shooting enough right hands, the bullying may not work on Cotto, what would happen then, hypothetically? My guess is Floyd begins to potshot to a UD.

Comment

Cotto is done!!! This is not the Quintana Cotto and Mayweather isn't Quintana neither

Comment

Originally posted by PRking718 View Post
            BOTH good points... I know in my mind that Floyd will try the pressure tactic, it really is the best way.

My question is based on May's punch output. If he isn't shooting enough right hands, the bullying may not work on Cotto, what would happen then, hypothetically? My guess is Floyd begins to potshot to a UD.
            You're right Mayweather doesn't have the highest punch output the majority of the time, but what many people chose to conveniently ignore is how Floyd also drops everyone of his opponents outputs.

Mayweather can up his output if he wants. Threw 67 punches in the 4th round of the Ortiz fight.

Comment

Homie you need to watch that Ortiz fight again. Floyd wasn't f-cking around with him. And He is younger and stronger then cotto. 1 shot my azz.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                rewatch the pacquiao fight, pacquiao was outboxing Cotto.

Mayweather said immediately after this fight was signed that he'll be coming forward and applying pressure. Cotto is much less effective on the backfoot than he is the front.

Floyd can easily bully Cotto. Mayweather was able to push around clinch fest guys like Hatton and Mosley. Cotto who just learned how to clinch in his last daycare session isn't going to be able to touch a veteran in this arena.
                bwahahaha

Comment

mayweather v baldomir all over again

keep walking him down miguel!

Comment

Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
                    Homie you need to watch that Ortiz fight again. Floyd wasn't f-cking around with him. And He is younger and stronger then cotto. 1 shot my azz.
                    Yeah homie but Ortiz has about less than 1/3 rd the Ring IQ that Cotto has, don't forget zero to no head movement and bounce. Cotto is more talented than Ortiz in everyway. Why does young and strong even get brought up? It it was anything that would help Floyds opponents than Canelo should be favored against him. Your style vs my style is what matters.

Comment

Working...
                    X