Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you fight a tall long reached guy as a southpaw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fight a tall long reached guy as a southpaw?

Ok Im a southpaw and I love fighting short guys. But it sucks fighting tall guys with long reach.

Whats the best way to fight taller guys when you are southpaw and they are orthadox?

I just watched Hopkins VS Tarver and hopkis stayed on the outside of Tarvers range and made quick bursts in and out and won that way.

I feel this would be dangerous because if you get caugh comming in real fast you add a tonne of power to their punch. Might be ok if you have a chin like Hopkins.

Manny pac man does the same thing in and out against against marquez but does something even more dangerous and thats fighting them on their power side on the inside where he is vunerable to straight right hands.

It just feels no matter what you do as a short fighter you are never safe. If you stay on the inside sure you have an advantage but you cant hit without being hit and you always have to keep comming foward.

Confused!

Do you wait for them to throw a shot and then jump in and then counter?

Do you stay in close to them and just attack directly without countering?

Comment

I always attacked tall south paws. Your left hand is the beginning, lead off with straight left hands and follow with multiple hooks. For you being a south paw the easiest points to score are when you get low and drive your left hand straight into your opponents belly, and of course follow with hooks while moving to your left. Straight left to the body, easiest points in amateur boxing against a conventional fighter.......... Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

First of all, it may sound weird but I think you can create a bit of an advantage as a short fighter by making yourself even shorter. Stay low against taller opponents particularly when you're on the outside trying to get close. This does a couple of things.

1. It enables you to more easily get under the taller guy's punches (which are usually 1s and 2s) but also even upper cuts

2. It makes hitting you in the body almost impossible going in.

So making yourself lower going in should make you much more elusive if you come in on angles and move your head.

Once you get inside, you being shorter now becomes an advantage for you.

That is the blueprint for fighting taller guys but it's easier said than done and it is exhausting. I too hate fighting taller guys.

There is also the "in and out" style Pacquiao uses but you must have very fast feet and insane conditioning to pull that off.

Comment

stay off the ropes and use your legs to keep away from his power if he's got any. most southpaws find it easier to be negative than they do to be offensive.

if he's not a power puncher, and he's looking to box, take it to him by moving your head and jabbing until you're close enough to land your left handed gas. don't aim for the head initially if he's super tall, you want to shoot for his chest. in time, it will hit him right on the chin as he bends at the waist and slows down.

Comment

Working...
          X