No announcement yet.

British and Irish Boxing Year End Awards - 2013

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British and Irish Boxing Year End Awards - 2013

2013 hasnt been a great year for British boxing in my opinion. The new guard I feel has struggled to really make an impact on the world on the world stage, and the old guard (Froch, Khan, Burns and Haye) seem to be coming to the end of their times as top tier fighters. Still their have been good/great performances in the ring which need to be rewarded.

Feel free to add awards/ fighters which I havent mentioned as i have the tendency to let big things completely slip my mind when I made threads like this!

British Fighter of the Year: Dereck Chisora. He stayed in shape and got himself back in contention after a very tough two years. His win over Malik Scott was one of the best of the year even with the controversial ending, and he sandwiched that with three, albeit average, TKO victories. Others have had better moments, but the ones who have have let it slip at other points in the year. Chisora has been Mr. Consistency (who'da thunk??) and deserves the win IMO.

Hon. Mention: Barker (one great moment, one poor loss), Stuart Hall (realised a dream), Frochy (great Kessler, did still beat Groves), Murray (MArtinez fight great, absolutely rubbish the other day).

Irish Fighter of the Year: Carl Frampton. Is he Irish or British? I dunno what he classes himself as tbh but Ive made him an Irishman for now. A KO win early in the year against Kiko Martinez has only looked better as the year has gone on. Followed up with a solid win against Euro level Parodi he easily takes this award.

Hon. Mention. Someone will have to fill me in here!

Event of the Year: Froch vs Kessler II. Had all my mates round, was a great fight with a huge atmosphere, probably made a crapload of money too. Easy choice.

Hon.Mention: Frampton vs Martinez (great atmosphere), Froch vs Groves (Atmosphere, great fight)

KO of the Year: Stephen Smith KO 5 Gary Buckland. Nasty ****!!

Hon. Mention: Frampton KO9 Martinez

Promoter of the Year: Hearn most probably though he definitely had some stinker shows. Still put on the biggest events with the Sky deal and he's still THE promoter to be with if you are a UK boxer.

Prospect of the Year: Callum Smith. 7-0 (7 KO's) in 2013 with 6 KO's coming in the first round and last coming against a very experienced opponent hes the man for me.

Hon. Mention: Hughie Fury (so many fights, looked a little ragged at end of year though)

Best 'away fighter' Performance of the Year (ie. GB & I fighter fighting abroad): Martin Murray vs Sergio Martinez. Murray was in the most hostile atmosphere imaginable and put in a great performance dropping Martinez and giving him a huge scare, though he ultimately lost.

Hon. MEntion: Fury over Cunningham (got one of his best wins away from home, and by KO, performance wasnt amazing though)

Best foreigner performance in UK or Ireland: Sergey Kovalev Vs. NAthan Cleverly. This could have gone to Beltran but I'll give him credt in the robbery award. Kovalev came to Wales pasted the usually good chinned Cleverly in four rounds and went home. Easy work from a guy who is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.

Hon. Mention: Tony Thompson x2 (KO'ing price as an underdog first time, getting off floor to do it again second time), Beltran vs Burns (great performance from Beltran).

Robbery of the Year: Burns vs. Beltran. Simply no way this fight was a draw. Burns got battered. I felt terrible for Beltran in his dressing room interview.

Hon. Mention: Groves stoppage (does it count as a robbery? I dunno, robbed us fans of a great ending to a great fight though)

Comedy moment of the year: The fella who started break dancing to show he was ok Forgotten which fight :S

Hon. Mention: Barry McGuigan's dancing after Frampton vs Parodi.

Wooden Spoon Award (Fighter who had the worst year overall): David Price. Started the year one of the top prospects in the heavyweight division, ended it an overhyped bum thanks to two losses to unheralded Tony Thompson. Lots of work to do, not much time to do it in for Mr. Price.

Hon. Mention:Burns (looked very bad against Gonzalez till he quit, and lost to Beltran), Khan (only one fight, poor performance against Diaz), Haye (BAd year, injured like 19 times, never got in the ring. Trying his best to ruin Skys interest in boxing).

Those are my picks. What say you GBS?

Fight of the Year, Trainer of the Year, Win of the Year missed.

feel free to add them

Comment

Nobody feel like looking back over the year?

Comment

I'm too lazy and hungover tc too add anything apart from Frampton most probably considers himself British since he is from a Loyalist area of Belfast

Comment

Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
          I'm too lazy and hungover tc too add anything apart from Frampton most probably considers himself British since he is from a Loyalist area of Belfast
          Fair play, always tricky with N. Irish folk!

Im suffering mostly from a food hangover myself. Stomach cant quite understand whats hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            Fair play, always tricky with N. Irish folk!

Im suffering mostly from a food hangover myself. Stomach cant quite understand whats hit it!
            Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
            Tbf he calls himself an Ulster Irish man but most people support him regardless .2014 going to be a big year for him

Comment

2013 hasnt been a great year for British boxing in my opinion.
              Depends on expectations really, average/okay imo but I agree not "great".

The Highs

World Title Wins

Barker v Geale
              McDonnell v Ceja
              Hall v Malinga

Winning Title Defences

Froch v Kessler
              Froch v Groves
              Burns v Gonzalez

Other Notable Wins

Fury v Cunningham
              Chisora v Scott
              Frampton v Martinez
              Brook v Senchenko
              Khan v Diaz
              Rose v Maciel
              Afolabi v Janik
              Bellew v Chilemba II

Good Performances
              Murray v Martinez
              Quigg v Salinas

The Lows

Rees v Broner
              Barker v Sturm
              Bellew v Stevenson
              Macklin v Golovkin
              Cleverly v Kovalev
              Hatton v Van Heerden
              Afolabi v Huck
              Price v Thompson

Fighter of the Year
              Carl Froch, beat two top 10 guys in his division (#3 Kessler & #7 Groves).

Was tempted to give it to Murray as most of us feel he was robbed but his second performance v Khomitsky was merde.

Fight of the Year
              Barker v Geale, Hall v Malinga and Froch v Kessler & Groves were all great fights.

I think I'll go with Froch v Groves with Hall v Malinga a close second.
              Last edited by Weebler I; 12-28-2013, 07:12 AM.

Comment

By and large a bitterly disappointing year for the sport in the UK with the lows outscoring the highs by some distance.

Frampton and Froch the stand-out fighters for me and by some distance and Stuey Hall's unlikely but heroic rise to world champion made me smile.

The lows included Clev getting smashed, Haye and Fury boring us all rigid with entire weeks of self-indulgent hype about their greatness and then never throwing a punch in anger, poor Ray Beltran getting robbed against Burns, Jamie M losing his title outside the ring, Darren Barker's meltdown against Sturm, Price's failures and the slow decline of Amir Khan.

Comment

Comedy moment of the year: The fella who started break dancing to show he was ok Forgotten which fight :S

Hon. Mention: Barry McGuigan's dancing after Frampton vs Parodi.
                  Holy **** i forgot Tony Thompsons interview after the Price fight!

"Ima go home and break my wifes hip, we aint had sex in a while... so if anyone feels like donatin' a wheel chair...!!"

easilyy the winner

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
                    By and large a bitterly disappointing year for the sport in the UK with the lows outscoring the highs by some distance.

Frampton and Froch the stand-out fighters for me and by some distance and Stuey Hall's unlikely but heroic rise to world champion made me smile.

The lows included Clev getting smashed, Haye and Fury boring us all rigid with entire weeks of self-indulgent hype about their greatness and then never throwing a punch in anger, poor Ray Beltran getting robbed against Burns, Jamie M losing his title outside the ring, Darren Barker's meltdown against Sturm, Price's failures and the slow decline of Amir Khan.
                    Pretty much agree. I'm hoping next year we can get some of our fighters like Quigg, Frampton, BJS, Ryder and a few others starting to make some real waves

Comment

Working...
                    X