Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr.'s Legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore dunce,he knows that Roy Jones would clown his beloved drug addicted,fight throwing boy from PHILLAY in Harold Johnson so badly.

Dunce fancies himself a bit of a boxing historian and pretty much agree's with every word online boxing historians spout and then parrots their opinions on this forum.

Toney got clowned by Jones,there was no issue with being weight drained,he simply got clowned like the overrated clodge that he was,why the **** would Jones fight that fat clodge at 175? the fight was scheduled and had a belt on the line of which Toney was defending at 168.

Hopkins wasn't in his prime but he was a top middleweight at the time and still qualifies as a very good win.

Roy Jones got knocked out twice past his prime by two elite fighters in Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver.

Harold Johnson at 26 years old was getting stopped by bums like Oakland Billy Smith inside of two rounds

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
      -Hopkins wasn't prime till '97. Jones fought him in '93.
      -Toney had to lose 44 lbs in 6 weeks. He tried to fight Roy at LHW instead, Roy refused.
      -Trinidad was over the hill. The man hasn't been prime or credible since Bernard knocked his ass out at Middleweight. He fought Roy at Light Heavyweight.
      -He didn't really beat Tarver, ever. Can't ignore Tarver's two revenge wins either.
      -Mike McCallum was over the hill.

Roy fought 3 great body punchers all at opportune times. Did he have the balls to fight McCallum when he was still elite like Toney did? Roy and Toney started their careers at roughly the same time. While Roy beat on club fighters, James Toney fought the best of the best and earned his way to p4p #1. Then Roy cherry picked it from him in opportunistic fashion, and never defended the p4p title against a worthy challenger.

Roy was a hype job who doesn't make the top 10 in any weight class besides Super Middleweight, the biggest joke division (historically speaking) of them all.

I rate him somewhere between 50 and 75 p4p.

Couldn't be bothered responding to all this. I've had my say on Roy a million times now and I'm completely done discussing his career and where he should be placed in terms of all time rankings.

All I will say is that I find it a little funny/odd that you spend several paragraphs ragging on every win he ever had, calling him gutless, a cherry-picker, etc. and saying that he was a "hype job" before then going on to say that he could rate as high as 50 in the all-time pound 4 pound rankings.

I think that shows pretty clearly that you are a bit of a clueless **** to be honest.

Comment

-Toney had to lose 44 lbs in 6 weeks. He tried to fight Roy at LHW instead, Roy refused.
        -Trinidad was over the hill. The man hasn't been prime or credible since Bernard knocked his ass out at Middleweight. He fought Roy at Light Heavyweight.
        -He didn't really beat Tarver, ever. Can't ignore Tarver's two revenge wins either.

Roy fought 3 great body punchers all at opportune times. Did he have the balls to fight McCallum when he was still elite like Toney did? Roy and Toney started their careers at roughly the same time. While Roy beat on club fighters, James Toney fought the best of the best and earned his way to p4p #1. Then Roy cherry picked it from him in opportunistic fashion, and never defended the p4p title against a worthy challenger.

Roy was a hype job who doesn't make the top 10 in any weight class besides Super Middleweight, the biggest joke division (historically speaking) of them all.

Wow talk about downgrading Roy's legacy, I could do that do virtually all fighters from Joe Louis to Pep. You're one of the worst posters on here!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmacpoper View Post
          Toney got clowned by Jones,there was no issue with being weight drained,he simply got clowned like the overrated clodge that he was,why the **** would Jones fight that fat clodge at 175? the fight was scheduled and had a belt on the line of which Toney was defending at 168.

Jones was beating Toney Regardless, but tell us again why James never fought at 168 again? I mean its not as if he wasn't a sought after football recruit out of high school weighing more than 160, was it? Your bias is never ending.

Comment

Oh look,GABBy comes along to try challenge me and prove his manhood once again,Toney never made 168 again because he was a great fat git who couldn't keep his hand out of the cookie jar.

He wasn't a heavyweight,he wasn't a cruiserweight and he wasn't even a light-heavyweight,he was a 160-168 fighter and his natural build was fit for such weight classes.

It was Toney's balooning up inbetween fights which prevented him from ever making 160 and 168 again

Comment

Oh look,GABBy comes along to try challenge me and prove his manhood once again,Toney never made 168 again because he was a great fat git who couldn't keep his hand out of the cookie jar.

He wasn't a heavyweight,he wasn't a cruiserweight and he wasn't even a light-heavyweight,he was a 160-168 fighter and his natural build was fit for such weight classes.

It was Toney's balooning up inbetween fights which prevented him from ever making 160 and 168 again
              Thats cool, but what does it do to prove that James wasnt weight drained as a result? If he was weight drained it was clearly because he was ballooning, not because he was trying to make a weight that was unhealthy for his body.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
                Thats cool, but what does it do to prove that James wasnt weight drained as a result? If he was weight drained it was clearly because he was ballooning, not because he was trying to make a weight that was unhealthy for his body.

It doesn't prove a thing Dan, just another biased opinion. Pooper thinks he knows Toneys personal history, yet he'll never come up with a reasonable excuse why Toney never made 168 again. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Comment

RJ is an ATG. Had he quit earlier, he'd be remembered better. I understand his fall off has hurt his historical standin, but it shouldn't hurt it as bad as some make it sound.

Comment

I think in hindsight a lot of the criticism he got when he was in his prime was unwarranted because a lot of the guys he fought went on to have good careers or some of them were already pretty accomplished before they fought him.

So I think his resume is more solid than some people give him credit for and his athleticism is quite possibly the best there has ever been in the history of the sport. Great fighter, doesn't mean he couldn't have accomplised more though, there were opponents out there that he didn't fight for various reasons but I don't think it knocks his legacy too much.

Comment

This is right. But many people refuse to accept this. Roy was as talented as they come but the fact remains - he never fought the best on a consistent basis like - say - James Toney did.

They started their careers about 7 or 8 months apart. By the time they met in 1994, Toney was widely regarded as a top P4P fighter in the sport. He'd fought, and beat, Merqui Sosa, Reggie Johnson, Doug DeWitt, Michael Nunn, Mike McCallum, Dell'Aquila, Glenn Wolfe, Iran Barkley, Tim Littles, Dave Tiberi, Charles Williams & Tony Thornton.

Compare that to Jones level of competition: Bernard Hopkins, Thomas Tate, Thulani Malinga, Glenn Thomas, Jorge Fernando Castro, Jorge Vaca & Thomas Tate.

There is simply no comparison. Toney fought his way up to P4P top fighters, Jones didn't. Toney lost 44lbs in 6 weeks to make the SMW limit and was weight drained. Ask yourself this - why did Roy Jones turn down a $7million offer for a rematch with Toney at LHW back in Roy's supposed prime years?

Jones cherry-picked his way to the top, and when he got to the top he stayed there by cherry-picking again. He sat on his comfortable HBO contract collecting $3million fighting guys like Glenn Kelly & Richard Hall on a consistent basis. Jones level of competition picked up post-Ruiz and that's because Roy was shot and knew he had an excuse for every loss. He never did beat Tarver btw, who clearly outpointed him in the first bout.

Comment

Working...
                      X