Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes 60-80's fighers so much better than today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
    Donnie, you're out of your element.

No current fighter save Hopkins has a resume close to SRL.
    wasnt talking about resume. changing the subject shows how much you know

PS- who the **** is Donnie?

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      I think you were a bit quick to jump on the guy there. I don't think he was trying to discredit SRL, but make the valid more general point that these top guys didn't spend all their time fighting other top guys. We remember and point to perhaps 7 or 8 'superfights' over a period strung out over a decade, forgetting the unmemorable fights in between. Thats the way memory works - we recall the exceptional, forget what is routine.

We have this image of lighting fast, iron willed warriors beating on each every weekend, but the reality is not all that different from today, except things are now more diffuse with fewer US stars and more guys fighting around the globe.
      I dont need to remember any "exceptional" fights. All I need to do is look at the big names SRL fought (some multiple times). Its what defines him in black and white.

That kid is being a kid. I dont fault him for that. His man is Floyd and thats cool, but you dont get to say that SRL did the same things Floyd did resume wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        I think you were a bit quick to jump on the guy there. I don't think he was trying to discredit SRL, but make the valid more general point that these top guys didn't spend all their time fighting other top guys. We remember and point to perhaps 7 or 8 'superfights' over a period strung out over a decade, forgetting the unmemorable fights in between. Thats the way memory works - we recall the exceptional, forget what is routine.

We have this image of lighting fast, iron willed warriors beating on each every weekend, but the reality is not all that different from today, except things are now more diffuse with fewer US stars and more guys fighting around the globe.
        Thanks man. Good post btw

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
          I dont need to remember any "exceptional" fights. All I need to do is look at the big names SRL fought (some multiple times). Its what defines him in black and white.

That kid is being a kid. I dont fault him for that. His man is Floyd and thats cool, but you dont get to say that SRL did the same things Floyd did resume wise.
          No one even brought up floyd were talking about fighters of this era and previous eras.

what is wrong with you? You act like liking floyd means that some one cant have an opinion. Get some help man

Comment

Originally posted by violaandme View Post
            Just go to the top left of this page where it says boxing champions and click you will see 5 sanctioning bodies and 16 divisions and maybe and in all those divisions there are only about 5 fighters that have more than one belt they just don't fight the best period it really started in the late 80's they started taking one of the three belts and calling it good now there are 5 belts if these fighters would unify the divisions and the belts we could then maybe start to compare them to anyone from earlier eras untill then they aint shnit
            The problem you get is that the sanctioning bodies encourage fighters not to unify. In fact didn't Sulieman (?sp) recently say that anyone who picks up a belt from another org. will have to drop theirs.

In effect this means that it doesn't matter how good a modern fighter is, by your definition he can never be as 'good' (TSs term) as fighters from previous eras.

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about H2H ability and skillset, and as I mentioned in a previous post each of the 'greats' of the 70s-80s the probably fought truly top tier opposition only a little more frequently than modern 'greats' give or take.

The eye test doesn't really work either, no matter what you think of how they look in the ring (and no, I do think they were all fantastic fighters) you can't automatically make assumptions about how they would perform in the modern era. For all we know a Bhop or an FMJ could (and note I'm not saying would) make them look average.

Once again, the fights we remember, the ones we watch and rewatch are the exceptions and this is why we remember them. The stinkers; the ones were guys just looked...meh, or were fighting no-one special just disappear from memory (and often the visual record).
            Last edited by Citizen Koba; 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

They were forced to fight with much less advanced PED's.

Comment

Originally posted by dynomyte1444 View Post
                wasnt talking about resume. changing the subject shows how much you know

PS- who the **** is Donnie?
                Its a line from the movie "The Big Lebowski"

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                  Its a line from the movie "The Big Lebowski"
                  Oh ya I remember that now. Its been so long since i seen that movie.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dynomyte1444 View Post
                    Ya pryor wasnt that popular to where fans were calling for it but anyone who paid attention to pryor knew that he would be a sure test for Leornard.

If we use todays standards leornard ducked pryor
                    No, if we use today's standards Pryor ducked both Leonard and Duran, as he turned down fights with both, money being the excuse. However, the simple fact is that it was never much of an issue. Nobody, at the time, cared for those fights. Really. It's only some revised history weirdos that think it was ever viable.

Pryor wasnt recognised as anything close to a top fighter worthy of such fights until nearly the mid 80's after he had beaten Arguello twice at 140 in 82 and 83. By then Leonard had cleaned up 147, moved to 154 and retired, while Duran was already at 154 and 160.

Don't believe everything you hear on Legendary Nights.

Comment

Working...
                    X