No announcement yet.

James Toney sparring Gerald McClellan 1990

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AyoMaDu View Post
    James Toney, the only man to successfully emulate and carry on George Benton's style. And before anyone says oh the shoulder roll has been around for longer, which it has, im talking about their way of fighting. Both are carbon copies.

P.S. I completely hate people calling this style the Philly shell when its been around for so much longer or these ****ing boxing commentators not paying homage to all boxers before who successfully used and were known for this style, rather than just say oh the Mayweather style. WTF go learn your history mu'fckas
    Quoted for the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
      That's awesome. Didn't know this video existed. Thanks gonna watch this later.

Man, I'd imagine his collection has some amazing sparring sessions! Would be great for fans!
      There's also a Hearns-McCallum video floating around.

Comment

Always loved Toney style, he had defense but he wasn't afraid to get HIT and he was a absolutely MONSTER INSIDE!

Toney reflexes was UNREAL, he could feel what you was going to throw before you even threw it

Comment

Originally posted by ayomadu View Post
          james toney, the only man to successfully emulate and carry on george benton's style. And before anyone says oh the shoulder roll has been around for longer, which it has, im talking about their way of fighting. Both are carbon copies.

P.s. I completely hate people calling this style the philly shell when its been around for so much longer or these ****ing boxing commentators not paying homage to all boxers before who successfully used and were known for this style, rather than just say oh the mayweather style. Wtf go learn your history mu'fckas
          this!!!!!!!!

Comment

Toney was absolutely schooling him in there. He rolled or slipped most of the punches and towards the end was making the G-man look like a joke. He's just one of the most relaxed fighters I've seen in the ring. So comfortable in there it is unbelievable - he always knows where to move and what to do. In a fight G-Man would have no chance because - not only does Toney have a great defence - his chin is iron.

Comment

Awesome footage.

G Man was a mother****er. I think Toney could take the punches but I dont think his face would hold up to those rights all night. Real boxing right here folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Elotero View Post
                Awesome footage.

G Man was a mother****er. I think Toney could take the punches but I dont think his face would hold up to those rights all night. Real boxing right here folks.
                You mad? G Man was getting schooled. He's overrated - end of. He hit James with barely anything clean and even if he did hit Toney clean it wouldn't do anything - James Toney has one of the best chins I've ever seen. If Benn can last as long as he did vs the G man do you think Toney would struggle?

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
                  You mad? G Man was getting schooled. He's overrated - end of. He hit James with barely anything clean and even if he did hit Toney clean it wouldn't do anything - James Toney has one of the best chins I've ever seen. If Benn can last as long as he did vs the G man do you think Toney would struggle?
                  While I agree that Toney would and was picking Gerald apart, how is McClellan overrated? He had a short career and was pretty dominant in that short career, also everyone knows he should not have even been in that fight with Benn and still pretty much knocked him out in the first round. JT is my favorite fighter of all time but just because he has a different opinion doesn’t mean you have to say outlandish things

Comment

Toneys boxing skills are just a thing of beauty.

G Man always a true warrior.
                    Great vid thx !

Comment

Working...
                    X