Vassiliy Jirov vs Dominique Alexander on October 17

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vassiliy Jirov vs Dominique Alexander on October 17

Jirov Opponent Named

Former cruiserweight champion and 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist Vassiliy “The Tiger” Jirov (37-3-1, 31 KOs) will face Dominique Alexander (18-7-1, 9 KOs) when he returns to the ring for the first time in two years on October 17 at the Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona. “We are committed to keeping top-level shows like this one coming to Arizona, where the fans are enthusiastic supporters of world-class action,” said Jirov’s manager Ivaylo Gotzev. “Vassiliy is the perfect fighter to help us bring boxing back to the area. He moved to Phoenix after the 1996 Olympics and has lived here ever since. He trains in downtown Phoenix at Central Gym and Joe Diaz’s Gym.” Ironically, Jirov’s last Phoenix appearance was his sold-out 12-round IBF cruiserweight title defense against Jorge Castro in 2002 at the very same Celebrity Theatre.

I wish Jirov the best in his return to the ring and hope the lay off has done him some good.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      I wish Jirov the best in his return to the ring and hope the lay off has done him some good.
      Yeah hopefully the 2 year layoff helped him recover from all the wars he's been in. Holyfield took 2 years off to recover and he came back stronger and got a title shot against Ibragimov, hopefully Jirov can do the same and get a cruiserweight title shot.
      Last edited by Klitschko2011; 08-27-2009, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Klitschko2009 View Post
        Yeah hopefully the 2 year layoff helped him recover from all the wars he's been in. Holyfield took 2 years off to recover and he came back stronger and got a title shot against Ibragimov, hopefully Jirov can do the same and get a cruiserweight title shot.
        Other than Adamek he doesn't have the best comp either at CW. I mean Cunningham has good technical skill but I doubt his chin could hold up if Jirov comes back rejuvenated.

Comment

Originally posted by Klitschko2009 View Post
          Lol @ "Holyfield coming back stronger.." He was fighting bums before he got a shot at Ibragimov...

Comment

I remember Jirov was robbed against Joe Mesi.

And he should have had at least a draw against Toney. The point deduction in the Toney fight was unfair...

Will the American judges be fair to him? No, I think he will need a KO to win.

Comment

Working...
            X