Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has a boxer ever been punched in the throat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
    There is so much wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin.

Boxing is a sport and always has been. Martial Arts was created thousands of years ago to inflict as much damage as possible to an opponent including death. Their techniques are designed specifically against another human being. Fighting with your fists and only your fists is only 1 form of combat.

A humans legs have longer reach and can hit harder than a punch yet its completely underutilized in boxing for striking. In any fight a blow that severly injures or cripples either leg will end the fight. The leg can be easily broken at the kneecap. One swift kick downwards on the kneecap and its over. You don't see these used in MMA or Karate touraments because they are sanctioned. But back in the day in asia they fought to the death literally.
    And with grappleing you can break an opponents wrist or elbow or dislocate a shoulder easily. Thats why Wing Chun masters don't enter martial arts tournaments because they would have to hold back. If they went 100% they would break someones bones.

And of course Martial Arts masters get old and bigger than when they were younger. They are not immune to the laws of physics. They still practice their martial art regularly tho. Thats not to say that all Kung Fu masters are old and fat. There are alot that are young and fit. Thats like saying all Boxing Greats are old and fat.

Your post gets more ridiculous as it goes!

the only reason a "wing chun" master doesn't take off cain velasquez or alistair overeem and win the MMA HW belt is because he's too dangerous and would break his bones!

nothing to do with the fact that cain velasquez is an actual fighter who would rip his head off or anything
    or that the reem would literally rape him

if you really need it i'll get some footage of "Karate masters" fighting
    there is some on youtube
    it exists
    one example shows a rudimentary practitioner of BJJ cracking an arm in half

they flail away like old men
    they clearly never spar in the gym
    it's considered wrong for a master to spar his pupils, anyway

boxers spar tens, sometimes even a hundred or more rounds to prepare for each fight at the top
    the guys at the top often have tens if not hundreds of AM fights
    some guys have 300, 400 am fights

thats a fighter

if you want to fight with your "martial arts"
    or they fight MMA
    in which case they get rid of ALL of the karate that they have learned
    and adopt ACTAUL combat martial arts
    based on combat
    and not aesthetic movements
    Last edited by New England; 05-17-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I've been punched in the larynx and it's awful. Hurts for weeks.

I'd much rather take one on the temple or square on the chin, tbh.

The only worse places to get hit IMO would be the family jewels and the liver.
      Last edited by IntentionalButt; 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I dont know why more fighters dont aim for the throat. If i was fighting someone like Wlad/Vitali who are tall I would aim all my jabs and punches to the throat and the chest area. Too many people trying to go for the head get punished and they have to aim up, just punch as your normally would forward so it hits the throat/high chest area. Would this not work in theory?

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
          I dont know why more fighters dont aim for the throat. If i was fighting someone like Wlad/Vitali who are tall I would aim all my jabs and punches to the throat and the chest area. Too many people trying to go for the head get punished and they have to aim up, just punch as your normally would forward so it hits the throat/high chest area. Would this not work in theory?

if you could hit the throat, you would be doing a lot of damage
          i dont think anybody is not aiming for the throat if they are aiming for the chin

check out an exchange in slow motion from a close angle where somebody is landing (usually the kind of stuff you see between rounds of a pacquiao fight work :-D )

the way most fighters hold their shoulders and more importantly the chin doesn't allow for clean angles at the throat

you see lesser quality fighters missing targets in four round undercards and hitting the shoulder and neck sometimes

if somebody is dumb enough to keep his throat exposed his opponent is likely to take advantage and end the fight quickly by hitting him on his chin which will be open by default

it would be wiser to try and damage the chin with clean punches rather than the throat or neck, especially with a gloved hand
          and thus you don't see people targeting it habitually

you aim for the chin if it is available
          or other parts of the head if they are open and you can actually take advantage (punching around a guard intelligently is something only top fighters can do, again, you can think pacquiao against clottey, margarito)

Comment

what's wrong with my question? i was just curious; I mean because it is such a vulnerable area and certainly in a boxing match it has to have occurred before. no reason to attack for just asking a random question out of curiosity.

Comment

Seriously, this happens all the time...maybe not direct obvious hits that are shown on replay, but I'd say it's definitely not uncommon in bouts that are high paced, esp in boxing.

a recent one i can remember that was pretty obvious and shown on replay was JMM/Katsidis

Comment

Wilfredo Gómez suffered permanent damage in the throath when he was Owned by Azumah Nelson.

Even today he can´t talk well.

Comment

In one of HBO's slow motion replays, JMM uppercuts Katsidis in the throat.

Skip to 3:59

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    if you could hit the throat, you would be doing a lot of damage
                    i dont think anybody is not aiming for the throat if they are aiming for the chin

check out an exchange in slow motion from a close angle where somebody is landing (usually the kind of stuff you see between rounds of a pacquiao fight work :-D )

the way most fighters hold their shoulders and more importantly the chin doesn't allow for clean angles at the throat

you see lesser quality fighters missing targets in four round undercards and hitting the shoulder and neck sometimes

if somebody is dumb enough to keep his throat exposed his opponent is likely to take advantage and end the fight quickly by hitting him on his chin which will be open by default

it would be wiser to try and damage the chin with clean punches rather than the throat or neck, especially with a gloved hand
                    and thus you don't see people targeting it habitually

you aim for the chin if it is available
                    or other parts of the head if they are open and you can actually take advantage (punching around a guard intelligently is something only top fighters can do, again, you can think pacquiao against clottey, margarito)
                    Dont you get taught to aim for the bottom of the chin? I was more referring the beneath the adams apple is.like right where your neck starts, dont know what to call it. Even if person has his head down the punch should still hit the chin/chest. I was told you never really aim at the head as you will always miss.

Comment

Working...
                    X