Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever seen the shoulder roll used with success in mma or kickboxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever seen the shoulder roll used with success in mma or kickboxing?

You see guys like Floyd Mayweather, James Toney, and in my gym (an mma gym) when we do strictly boxing sparring I see guys who are good at not getting hit, protecting themselves at all times, and hitting the guy back pretty well.

But then when the kicking comes into play, it becomes a different ball game because a jab goes into a push kick which goes into flying round kick (or different kick if you prefer. ) And for me, the low kick alone doesnt allow guys to use that sideways, head over type of stance.

Now, in boxing yes, the shoulder roll is effective, and i kind of want to work on it, but every part of me is saying "dont do it, once kicks are involved it throws things off a bit"

So I need some help, does anyone know of any kickboxing fights or mma fights where the shoulder roll was used with efficiency?

Nishijima did against Mark Hunt but not too effectively. He wasn't an exceptional boxer but looked decent in this fight. Just too much of a size difference between the two.

If Toney had a tough brawler like Hunt in front of him, he could look good, but the shoulder roll is obviously not going to work against the cage vs a wrestler. His best chance is to deflect a jab or a right hand with the shoulder and counter with a right hand. It'd have to happen inside the first 30 seconds of the fight. Anyone who loses to Toney in MMA should blame it upon themselves.
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Thats perfect just what I was looking for, but I need moar...MOAR!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Double Jab View Post
        Thats perfect just what I was looking for, but I need moar...MOAR!!!!

That picture is hilarious.

Comment

Never seen a kickboxer or an MMA with a comparable shoulder roll to Mayweather/Toney.

Comment

If Toney try's that shoulder roll stuff with Randy all that'll happen is that he'll get grabbed hold of and thrown to the ground. He can get away with it in boxing because you can't grab on, MMA however is a different game.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
              If Toney try's that shoulder roll stuff with Randy all that'll happen is that he'll get grabbed hold of and thrown to the ground. He can get away with it in boxing because you can't grab on, MMA however is a different game.
              Everything in my head says this right here. Oh well, if that is fact, I guess I must deal with those people with their head at their waist until knees are involved in sparring.

Comment

ive seen a lot of rolling with punches, but nothing like a toney/mayweather.. more like a jack dempsey type thing

Comment

People are mentioning takedowns but are forgetting the leg kicks... Any decent kickboxer would just counter it with low kicks and from that stance the boxer would get his lead leg chopped very fast.

Comment

They did in American Kickboxing which is no kicks below the waist.

Lots of american kicboxers did the shoulder roll back in the day in the 80s earlie 90s when kickboxing was BIG!!!

Keep in mind american kickboxing wasent muay thai it was like boxing with kicks above the waste so.. No low kicks

Comment

Working...
                    X