No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chad Dawson: Hell of a Way To Start a Reign

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chad Dawson: Hell of a Way To Start a Reign

by Cliff Rold - Chad Dawson (31-2, 17 KO) remains the Light Heavyweight Champion of the World. Too bad, as he prepares for his first defense of the lineal crown he wrested from Bernard Hopkins in April 2012, it feels like a consolation prize.

It might have something to do with a bad September night between Hopkins and Saturday’s showdown in Montreal with big punching Adonis Stevenson (20-1, 17 KO).

When the choice was made to drop down to 168 lbs. and challenge Andre Ward for the Super Middleweight crown, without putting the Light Heavyweight crown on the line as well, that was the risk that was run. It could just as easily have been done differently, treating 168 as both a limit and catchweight sort of like what happened years ago in the Sugar Ray Leonard-Donny LaLonde fight.

There have been plenty of post-facto reports, and some believable reports before the fight as well, that Dawson’s decision to move down in weight ended up a sucker bet. He may not have had his best stuff that night, certainly looked weaker than had been the case in the past, and took a beating for most of ten rounds.

Dawson had been vulnerable in the past. Eric Harding had him on the floor. So did Tomasz Adamek. Glen Johnson didn’t but he beat Dawson all over the ring in spots during their savage first encounter. That Ward, not known as a massive puncher, would score his first stoppage since 2009 wasn’t totally out of the realm of the possible. [Click Here To Read More]

Another fantastic article Cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
      Another fantastic article Cliff.
      I second that!

Comment

I hope Chad can bounce back. He was broken against Ward. And when a fighter is taken to the place where he quits, its usually pretty difficult to come back from.

Comment

1 of the cles Isite in a long time...I hope Chad can get it 2gether & win Sat nite, a good guy & a good rep 4 boxing...doesn't fight in his backyard like a lotta guys...

Comment

I believed in Chad Dawson as much as I did in Floyd Mayweather. I would have bet my house on him, and then Jean Pascal happened. I just hope he still has enough left to expel those demons.

Comment

Hope he comes out looking awesome Saturday. I'm definitely a little worried about him, Ward was a hard loss but he's still a good dude and a fantastic fighter.

Comment

When any athlete is 30 years old and yet people are still talking about how good they could have been and how talented they are you know they've wasted their time. Dawson is done as a star, no network will back him, the moment he loses his title (for the recod I hope it's soon) no network will pick him.

Dawson always had physical gifts but little heart and spent too much time fighting men the wrong side of 40. Yes I know he had a handful of good nights but they were against opponents he should have beaten clearly. I actually think Dawson stops Stevenson in the 6th or 7th but I hope he fights Pascal again. That will hopefully stop a rather ridiculous career.

Comment

I always felt Dawson was a little overrated, even before the Pascal clash. Regardless, though, I hope he puts a beating on Stevenson.

Comment

Working...
                  X