Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does strength enhance punching power? Or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The speed of the punch and the weight behind it determine how hard the punch is. Weight lifting type strength has little or nothing to do with punching power. Punching power comes from fast hands and proper punching technique. It is debatable that Foreman hit harder than Tyson. Both men weighed about 220 in their prime so Foreman was not lighter than Tyson. Foreman's punches were not slow and he turned his body into the punches. Both Tyson and Foreman threw fast heavy punches and were great punchers. Tall thin fighters like Robinson, Hearns and Trinidad were great punchers because of hand speed and leverage. None of them could lift heavy weights.

Comment

Only if you hate Marquez, if you are in love with manny then of course not.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        The speed of the punch and the weight behind it determine how hard the punch is. Weight lifting type strength has little or nothing to do with punching power. Punching power comes from fast hands and proper punching technique. It is debatable that Foreman hit harder than Tyson. Both men weighed about 220 in their prime so Foreman was not lighter than Tyson. Foreman's punches were not slow and he turned his body into the punches. Both Tyson and Foreman threw fast heavy punches and were great punchers. Tall thin fighters like Robinson, Hearns and Trinidad were great punchers because of hand speed and leverage. None of them could lift heavy weights.
        Long armed fighters supposedly are typically punchers... Corrales comes to mind. It also depends on how much you want to open yourself up. Planting your feet and throwing harder shots will open you up to get hit more, which is why most pure boxers don't have as many KO's. IMO

Comment

Physical strength and punching power are NOT the same thing...I could give 100 examples of physically strong guys who couldn't punch...and I know one superstar I sparred with who had HUGE power but, honestly, wasnt very strong on the inside...Also, every boxer has sparred with at least two muscle bound guys who punched with VERY little power. Power is mainly natural...and proper technique and TIMING can add to it a great deal. Strength training, weight lifting, etc has never shown to do ANYTHING in my opinion in terms of increasing punching power.

Comment

Working...
          X