No announcement yet.

Who can remember Frank "The Animal" Fletcher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can remember Frank "The Animal" Fletcher

I have around 10 or 12 fights of Frank Fletcher, the middleweight contender from the early 1980s. In my opinion Frank Fletcher was one of the greatest action-packed, value-for-money fighters of all times. Fletcher was not a genuine world class boxer, i don't think he stood a chance against the champions of the day like Hagler, Hearns, Leonard or Duran. But his fights were "Slugfests" TV classics, which had boxing fans on the edge of their seats from start to finish. His wars with Ernie Singletary, Sammy NeSmith, Wilford Scypion, Clint Jackson & Noberto Sabarter are a boxing fans dream. Frank Fletcher's life is a very sad tale, but his ring wars will live with boxing fans like myself forever.

I remember him well from shows I was on at the Resorts in Atlantic City.
    The matchmaker I worked with matched Frank a number of times.
    he came to fight and had his opportunities too. His fights in jersey were events and he fought some very good fighters winning and loosing.
    he had a flare about him and guys like himself and Alvino "killer" Manson seemed doomed for convinement and disappointments.
    In this sport theres a struggle between the gym and the street and the gym looses more times than not. Just the way it goes, hard work vs getting over easy!

Ray

Comment

I also remember all his fights. The nickname "Animal" truly fit his style.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        his fights were "Slugfests" TV classics
        That’s why we guessed his career wouldn’t last long.

A look at his record shows, he was regularly matched against other up-and-comers, a rare sight these days when most prospects are keen on protecting their “0”.

There are a lot of “Fletchers” in the boxing world, most of them quickly forgotten when their careers plunges. Though, it’s very refreshing to see their names being mentioned in the history section. Not all great entertainers have the privilege of becoming champions (well, maybe today with the tons of belts, but not back then).

Comment

Hell of a fighter! Saw him on ESPN several times. Always entertaining.....had a lot of heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
            That’s why we guessed his career wouldn’t last long.

A look at his record shows, he was regularly matched against other up-and-comers, a rare sight these days when most prospects are keen on protecting their “0”.

There are a lot of “Fletchers” in the boxing world, most of them quickly forgotten when their careers plunges. Though, it’s very refreshing to see their names being mentioned in the history section. Not all great entertainers have the privilege of becoming champions (well, maybe today with the tons of belts, but not back then).

Good looking fellow

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              I have around 10 or 12 fights of Frank Fletcher, the middleweight contender from the early 1980s. In my opinion Frank Fletcher was one of the greatest action-packed, value-for-money fighters of all times. Fletcher was not a genuine world class boxer, i don't think he stood a chance against the champions of the day like Hagler, Hearns, Leonard or Duran. But his fights were "Slugfests" TV classics, which had boxing fans on the edge of their seats from start to finish. His wars with Ernie Singletary, Sammy NeSmith, Wilford Scypion, Clint Jackson & Noberto Sabarter are a boxing fans dream. Frank Fletcher's life is a very sad tale, but his ring wars will live with boxing fans like myself forever.
              Did he fight Vampire Johnson? I saw Vampire take the greatest beating a non-man can endure once, but cannot recall the opponent for certain. It may have been Frank.

Comment

No Wilbert Johnson would have never been matched against Frank two different levels of fighters. Wilbert was a "showman" and was matched accordingly. Frank was a no nonsense man who was a tough fight for anyone.
                Ray.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ray Corso;15447370]No Wilbert Johnson would have never been matched against Frank two different levels of fighters. Wilbert was a "showman" and was matched accordingly. Frank was a no nonsense man who was a tough fight for anyone.
                  Ray.[/QUOTe
                  Wilbert Johnson beat Donnie Lalonde on pts, Donnie knocked him out in two in the rematch. Donnie went win a alphabet world title and get the big payday vs leonard. I always admired Donnie as he basically was a one armed fighter due to shoulder injury in hockey as a youth.

Comment

Whats your point? That LaLonde is a top notch fighter?

Comment

Working...
                    X