No announcement yet.

7 year old girl falls off 3rd floor AC!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post

some folks call it a sling blade. i call it a kaiser blade.

Where is he these days, anyway? I miss taking a dump on his face in every thread he posted in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries
      ROFL. So what you're telling us is that the height she was dropped from doesn't matter? That me tossing a 50 lb kid in the air and catching him would result in over 1600 lb of force?

Sorry but that is just about the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

crank
      the
      numbers.

i saw in his formula a "32.2." i can only guess that was his caluculation for her height off of the ground (or more appropriately, between where she started falling and where she stopped falling when she hit his chest.)

i'm not qualified to proofread anybody's computations in this capacity, but the height of the fall seems to be there in his formula.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Haynes View Post
        I think we learned the 'g' as 9.8 meters per second squared...
        Yes but i converted it to feet per second squared for US units

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          crank
          the
          numbers.

i saw in his formula a "32.2." i can only guess that was his caluculation for her height off of the ground (or more appropriately, between where she started falling and where she stopped falling when she hit his chest.)

i'm not qualified to proofread anybody's computations in this capacity, but the height of the fall seems to be there in his formula.
          The 32.2 is the acceleration due to gravity. He used the basic formula F=MA to calculate force. But the answer you get isn't always useful in practical terms.

So if I walk onto the freeway and get hit by a car with his cruise control set on 70 mph, I'm in fact getting hit with 0 force?

Doesn't help my hospital (or more likely funeral) bills, does it?

Or if he hits the brakes, we're talking negative force.
          Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 07-17-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            The 32.2 is the acceleration due to gravity. He used the basic formula F=MA to calculate force. But the answer you get isn't always useful in practical terms.

So if I walk onto the freeway and get hit by a car with his cruise control set on 70 mph, I'm in fact getting hit with 0 force?

Doesn't help my hospital (or more likely funeral) bills, does it?

Or if he hits the brakes, we're talking negative force.

agree. the speed of an object is obviously a consideration in the amount of "force" in the collision. speed and mass. i dont need to be a physicist to know that.

i'd look to figure out first how fast she'd be falling after 30 feet, and then calculate the amount of "force" generated when she (50 lbs) strikes an stationary object at that speed.

i'm not going to use the internet to figure out how to do that right now (or ever, let's be real.)

so far it doesnt seem as if we have anybody qualified to make an accurate assessment of the collision, which is disheartening

are you nothing other than a contrarian? can you not solve the problem instead of pointing out flaws in the methodology of others?

Comment

Russian was correct in his calculation of force. I was wrong and hence deleted my post. No excuses. That was what he was asked and that's what he calculated.

IMO more useful quan****** in this instance would be momentum (~279 Newtons) or kinetic energy (1703 Joules or ~1.7 KJ.) Given a height of 25 ft, terminal velocity of 40.12 f/s or 12.285 m/s.
              Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 07-17-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Since the first level is ground level, she basically fell 2 stories. About 18 feet. At that height she probably accelerated to about 28-30 feet per second

if she weight 50 lbs she would have landed at about 620 foot/pounds of force.

I know this stuff from personal experience. Glad she is ok.

correction...it looks to be more like 25 feet she fell, so the foot/pounds would have been higher to to her traveling faster
                Last edited by deanrw; 07-17-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  F=mg

F=50 lb * 32.2 ft/s/s

Weird using US units but the total force would be 1,610 lb
                  Force= mass * acceleration

acceleration= velocity/ time

velocity= time / distance

its a little bit more complicated

Comment

God Bless that man everyday media loves to show the bad good to see something else for once.

Comment

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/japan-schoo...092817316.html

somebody do the math on the above.

javelin in the head? yeesh.

Comment

Working...
                      X