No announcement yet.

Right handed Southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hemichromis
    does anyone fight this way, with their good hand as a lead hand. what are your opinions?
    im a left handed orthdox

Comment

Yeah man, im othrodox, but im left handed. My trainers said that can be a very good thing, having your lead hand as your strong hand.

Comment

I'm ambidextrous and training southpaw.

Comment

Winky Wright is a good example of a right-handed southpaw. His jab is powerful but his straight left lacks power. Still, it doesn't hinder him from winning fights because of his great defense. BTW, I have Winky winning against JT with a SD.

Comment

Why do right-handers do this? is it to set up the left?

Comment

Yep, but mostly outside of boxing. In boxing, because of the protection afforded by gloves (and headgear in the amateurs), most people want their dominant hand in the rear, in order to maximize the power of the cross. But in martial arts and the street, where weapons or knuckle hardness, gouging, etc. can make a big difference, most people fight with the strong side forward. Especially if one has a weapon, it only makes sense to have it in your dominant hand between you and the other guy. So, along these lines, since the average martial artist is going to fight both armed and/or unarmed, it makes sense to fight with the strong side forwards, so there is no confusion switching back and forth from one lead to the other. The really great fighters can fight from either lead, however, although they will fight differently on one side of the other. The sides will still not be equal.

Comment

Originally posted by olympics_glory
                something tells me you have a tattoo of your own name

damn your good, actually its my nick name NUK

Comment

I dont thinks its very good at all. U will have a strong lead hand but your rear hand is always going to be weak. No matter how hard u train, u wont have that nature power like u do with u dominate hand.

Comment

im a right-handed southpaw
                    I always tried fighting in the orthodox stance but it always felt really unnatural and I had worse balance for some reason. I fight much more comfortably as a southpaw and decided to switch after sparring a buddy of mine. He told me I was a better fighter as a southpaw, maybe thats because his not use to fighting southpaws, i dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
                      Are u ambidextrous?

yep very so

Comment

Working...
                      X