No announcement yet.

Mayweather-Castillo I: Your Scorecard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
    I've watched it at least 5 times and I always had Mayweather winning. The last time I scored it 115-112. I think a lot of people got/get swayed by the commentary when it comes to this fight, and if you watch it without the sound i'm very confident you'd score it for Floyd. The compubox numbers really shouldn't be used as an argument for who should have won the fight. First of all because it's basically 2 people just counting what they believe are and aren't punches, and often they get it wrong. For example, in the Pacquiao-Marquez 3 fight they claimed Manny landed like 40 more punches, which I highly doubt he did, and you'd be hard pressed to find any credible person who thinks he deserved to win that fight. But even if he did, do people not understand that boxing is scored round-by-round? They don't just look at the punch stats at the end and decide the winner based on that. You can land 100 more punches in a fight but if you clearly lose 7 rounds then it's irrelevant. Therefore you can't use it as an argument to judge close fights.

I made a thread about this fight last year. Basically I think it was a fight of two halves, Floyd won the 1st half and JLC won the 2nd half, but Floyd won more of the 2nd half than Jose did of the 1st, in my opinion. People just got excited because Floyd got really tested for the first time, but I still thought he did enough to win despite being injured and outweighed by nearly 10lbs.

I'll watch it again tomorrow and post my scorecard then.
    I agree completely with this, although I think I only had Floyd by a point or two at the end. I tried to rewatch it last year and I turned it off midway because I had Floyd winning the first half by a landslide and knew where my card was headed.

Comment

I had Castillo up by a couple points and thought he got robbed.

Comment

Ok. I just got done watching it again. Here's my scorecard.

Jose Luis Castillo vs Floyd Mayweather Jr 1 :

Round 1 - 10-9 Mayweather
        Round 2 - 10-9 Mayweather
        Round 3 - 10-9 Mayweather
        Round 4 - 10-9 Mayweather
        Round 5 - 10-9 Mayweather
        Round 6 - 10-9 Castillo
        Round 7 - 10-9 Castillo
        Round 8 - 10-8 Mayweather (Castillo had a point deducted)
        Round 9 - 10-9 Castillo
        Round 10 - 9-9 - Even (Floyd won the round but had a point deducted)
        Round 11 - 10-9 Castillo
        Round 12 - 10-10 Even

Final verdict - 115-112 (6-4-2 in rounds) for Floyd Mayweather Jr

The only two rounds that I thought were really close were #8 and #12, I could understand someone scoring #8 10-9 and/or scoring #12 for Castillo but even if I did that i'd still have had Floyd winning. So in conclusion I think this was a very close but still fairly clear win for him (unless you hate him and/or watched it with the biased commentary on). Jose just found himself with too high a mountain to climb after the first 5 rounds, in which it seemed like he was only landing 1 punch for every 5 or 6 he threw. After such a dominant start Floyd didn't need to do much more to win, and he did just enough. Great fight, very close, pretty entertaining, that's why i've watched it so many times. But I think it's important to remember that Floyd fought this fight with an injured shoulder and that he gave him an immediate rematch and then beat him more convincingly (I had it 117-111) once he was 100% healthy.
        Last edited by JK1700; 08-17-2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Round 1 - 10-9 Mayweather
          Round 2 - 10-9 Mayweather
          Round 3 - 10-9 Mayweather
          Round 4 - 10-9 Mayweather
          Round 5 - 10-9 Castillo
          Round 6 - 10-9 Castillo
          Round 7 - 10-9 Castillo
          Round 8 - 9-9 Even
          Round 9 - 10-9 Castillo
          Round 10 - 9-9 - Even
          Round 11 - 10-9 Mayweather
          Round 12 - 10-9 Castillo

113-113 DRAW

ROUNDS 5,8,9,10,11 were very close

Comment

I think I've watched this fight about 5 times or so and can't remember scoring it anything other than 116-112 Castillo.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
              I've watched it at least 5 times and I always had Mayweather winning. The last time I scored it 115-112. I think a lot of people got/get swayed by the commentary when it comes to this fight, and if you watch it without the sound i'm very confident you'd score it for Floyd. The compubox numbers really shouldn't be used as an argument for who should have won the fight. First of all because it's basically 2 people just counting what they believe are and aren't punches, and often they get it wrong. For example, in the Pacquiao-Marquez 3 fight they claimed Manny landed like 40 more punches, which I highly doubt he did, and you'd be hard pressed to find any credible person who thinks he deserved to win that fight. But even if he did, do people not understand that boxing is scored round-by-round? They don't just look at the punch stats at the end and decide the winner based on that. You can land 100 more punches in a fight but if you clearly lose 7 rounds then it's irrelevant. Therefore you can't use it as an argument to judge close fights.

I made a thread about this fight last year. Basically I think it was a fight of two halves, Floyd won the 1st half and JLC won the 2nd half, but Floyd won more of the 2nd half than Jose did of the 1st, in my opinion. People just got excited because Floyd got really tested for the first time, but I still thought he did enough to win despite being injured and outweighed by nearly 10lbs.

I'll watch it again tomorrow and post my scorecard then.
              Agreed on Compubox. I only look at those numbers when they post punches landed per round. If there are no knockdowns, I go with the guy that landed more for that particular round. I think it's insane that the Olympics so by punches landed for the whole fight as opposed to each individual round to score a fight. It makes a lot of fighters just try to protect their lead and win on points rather than going for the finish. MMA calls this lay and pray, so for boxing it would be, I don't know, hold and hope? Either way, they know they're ahead and are just waiting for the time to run out.

Comment

Castillo won and they should have given him the decision. Mayweather became too careful on who he fought because of this fight.

Comment

Stayed away the past couple weeks -- quite disappointed over the unprofessional conduct of a particular mod (bad taste in my mouth), but..

having just gotten around to re-watching and carefully scoring the first Mayweather-Castillo fight (as I believe I said I wanted to earlier in this thread), I thought I'd post my results, FWIW.

My scoring of Mayweather-Castillo I:

Round by Round:

1) 10-9, Mayweather
                  2) 10-9, Mayweather
                  3) 10-9, Mayweather
                  4) 10-9, Mayweather
                  5) 10-9, Mayweather
                  6) 10-9, Castillo
                  7) 10-9, Castillo
                  8) 10-9, Mayweather (i.e. after the point deduction)
                  9) 10-9, Castillo
                  10) 9-9, Even (again, after the point deduction)
                  11) 10-10, Even
                  12) 10-9, Castillo

Final tally: 115-113, Mayweather (6 rounds Mayweather, 4 rounds Castillo, 2 even)

Notes:
                  - I didn’t have a problem with either point deduction, personally, though I really felt Floyd's should have come for his late punch at the end of round 9 instead of when it did (he does use his elbows, though).
                  - Not surprisingly, a number of rounds quite close and difficult to score. I re-watched several of them (and even so the difference was very thin).

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Hop View Post
                    Stayed away the past couple weeks -- quite disappointed over the unprofessional conduct of a particular mod (bad taste in my mouth), but..

having just gotten around to re-watching and carefully scoring the first Mayweather-Castillo fight (as I believe I said I wanted to earlier in this thread), I thought I'd post my results, FWIW.

My scoring of Mayweather-Castillo I:

Round by Round:

1) 10-9, Mayweather
                    2) 10-9, Mayweather
                    3) 10-9, Mayweather
                    4) 10-9, Mayweather
                    5) 10-9, Mayweather
                    6) 10-9, Castillo
                    7) 10-9, Castillo
                    8) 10-9, Mayweather (i.e. after the point deduction)
                    9) 10-9, Castillo
                    10) 9-9, Even (again, after the point deduction)
                    11) 10-10, Even
                    12) 10-9, Castillo

Final tally: 115-113, Mayweather (6 rounds Mayweather, 4 rounds Castillo, 2 even)

Notes:
                    - I didn’t have a problem with either point deduction, personally, though I really felt Floyd's should have come for his late punch at the end of round 9 instead of when it did (he does use his elbows, though).
                    - Not surprisingly, a number of rounds quite close and difficult to score. I re-watched several of them (and even so the difference was very thin).

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread.
                    Score without even rounds, the vast majority of judges today will not score an even round unless point deductions produce that effect. I think you should watch round 8 and 11 again and score for one or the other and see what your score is after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                      Score without even rounds, the vast majority of judges today will not score an even round unless point deductions produce that effect. I think you should watch round 8 and 11 again and score for one or the other and see what your score is after that.
                      Humean, glad to hear your thoughts. You are correct that scoring rounds even has fallen quite out of vogue in recent years, but 1) I personally disagree very much w/this trend, and 2) a 10-10 round is technically still a permissible scoring option for a judge (cf. round 10 of Hopkins-Pascal I on one card). I only opt for "even" if I truly am unable in good conscience to give one competitor even a very thin margin over their opponent. I feel this is the only fair ruling, rather than manufacturing an artificial round-winner. However, I feel confident that if I did force myself to choose one winner for each round that ultimately it wouldn't change my card's outcome in terms of the winner. (I don't think they would both go JLC's way.)

Comment

Working...
                      X