Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bert Sugars top 100- is he too old school?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bert Sugars top 100- is he too old school?

I just got the book today and have seen his list before. It is a bit different from the ESPN and Ring Magazine list. There are many modern fighters as DLH, Mayweather Jr, Eric Morales who dont make it. How can Fighting Harada not make top 100 and Pancho Villa be so high?

Ricardo Lopez higher than Benitez and MOnzon? I think Sugar as a journalist brings personal bias into this. Although i actually do like his commentary.

I don't like how he didn't have Michael Spinks in the top 100.

Spinks is one of the greatest light-heavyweights ever, a division that's been around a long time and has a good history with terrific fighters. And then he moved up and became the recognized heavyweight champ.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
      I don't like how he didn't have Michael Spinks in the top 100.

Spinks is one of the greatest light-heavyweights ever, a division that's been around a long time and has a good history with terrific fighters. And then he moved up and became the recognized heavyweight champ.
      Michael Spinks did make it on some of the other lists. I think he will be remembered alot for that lost to Tyson in 90 seconds. But i think he had a greater accomplishment than many who go from cruiser to HW as Holyfied did. That is an extra 25lbs at minimum and likely 40 pounds since most will at 215 or more during his time. He was the first to beat the Legendary Holmes even if some didnt agree with both decisions in those fights. One bad loss shouldnt destroy an entire legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
        I just got the book today and have seen his list before. It is a bit different from the ESPN and Ring Magazine list. There are many modern fighters as DLH, Mayweather Jr, Eric Morales who dont make it. How can Fighting Harada not make top 100 and Pancho Villa be so high?

Ricardo Lopez higher than Benitez and MOnzon? I think Sugar as a journalist brings personal bias into this. Although i actually do like his commentary.
        I could see Lopez being higher than Benitez maybe but not Monzon.

Comment

Everybody has a different list, it's a difference of opinion, Bert has been around awhile so we'd expect his to be solid, but any list can/would be debated.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Everybody has a different list, it's a difference of opinion, Bert has been around awhile so we'd expect his to be solid, but any list can/would be debated.
            very true..

Comment

its just a matter of opinion,but i dont agree with his list completely

Comment

Ain't nothing wrong with "old school"; that being said, Burt Sugar is a bit of a joke among boxing historians. He isn't really a boxing historian in anycase: He's just a journalist and not a particularly good one at that.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Ain't nothing wrong with "old school"; that being said, Burt Sugar is a bit of a joke among boxing historians. He isn't really a boxing historian in anycase: He's just a journalist and not a particularly good one at that.

Poet
                  Burt Sugar has attended more boxing shows than you could ever dream of, The guy writes books, newspaper articles and does guest appearances on TV talking about Historical Boxing yet you claim the guy is nothing but a Joke? how stupid can you get.. your posts are now bordering on a level as ridiculous as Mr Boxers... its only a matter of time unto you both are known as the Laurel & Hardy` of this boxing forum

Comment

i don't agree with everyone on his list but he's seen alot more of the old fighters than we have. lol, no one on this forum is as old as sugar

Comment

Working...
                    X