No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's relationship with Jim Jacobs turned bitter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
    A long time ago I had heard of this before, but I didn't start reading about it untill I saw Tyson's documentary a few years ago where he would actually insult not just Bill Cayton but even Jacobs too, calling them slavemasters.

This old article talked about it, but I've read a book by mr. Mcrae years ago that went into more details than this one.
    http://articles.philly.com/1988-06-2...orraine-jacobs

In short, apparently Jacobs had never told Mike about his terminal illness, unknowingly made him sign a contract that would enable his wife to take a large percentage of Tyson's earnings, after Jim's death. Considering how close Tyson was to Jacobs, you can imagine how hurt he felt after knowing this. Part of me refuses to believe Jacobs had evil intentions behind their relationship but it's hard to ignore these sources.

It also brings a different perspective on how boxing and it's history looks at Tyson's team pre-Don King. Cayton and Jacobs backstabbed him, and Rooney was a drunk who was causing Tyson and his camp problems. It wasn't the most perfect team by any means as most people believe.

You ever notice how Tyson never really talks highly of Jacobs, Rooney etc? I'm sure he would if you asked him, but he never goes out of his way to praise them like he always does Cus. I personally think that he was hurt by them and it was never the same again afterwards. I would love to hear more info on this if you guys can share some.
    Interesting find, certainly sheds a new and different light on the pre-Don era.

Comment

Bilbo, who contributed so much to this thread, unfortunately died.

But we still have Ray Corso, an insider in the early Tyson camp, who lived, **** and breathed with Mike and his people, had a professional eye for the training methods, and was used as everything from advisor and counselor to go-fer, who would chase down Mike's favorite chips, if necessary, by the godfather d'Amatto. Cus always knew a good hand to have around. To bably, coax and coddle Mike, to mediate when necessary betweeen the volatile Atlas and others in the fight game, you don't use a violinist, you don't use a soda jerk, you use someone with intimate knowledge of boxing and the idiosyncracies of boxers; you bring a hand like Corso into the picture, because your name is D'amato, and you know more about the whole scheme of boxing--from training and psychology to diet and mythology--than any contemporary of yours in the world.

Ray would not have been the sole vendor ever used in some of his unofficial and tacit services to the camp. Part of the promise, part of the dazzle, was that Cus could introduce Mike to figures from every level of boxing. When one of them was a good or useful mentor, Cus was eager for his boy to soak up some knowledge or good sense, or at least stay distracted enough to avoid trouble. The job had elements of babysitting.

Comment

What he said.............

and this isn't just Mike its damn near EVERY fighter, if you've never had a friendship or relationship with a "full time" fighter its a tough dynamic to understand.

Ray
        Last edited by Ray Corso; 06-14-2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          What he said.............

and this isn't just Mike its damn near EVERY fighter, if you've never had a friendship or relationship with a "full time" fighter its a tough dynamic to understand.

Ray

Fighters are notoriously touchy. A soda jerk cannot calm them.

Comment

Jacobs only seemed slightly less creepy than D'Amato to me. I guess one day the full truth about all these guys will come out and it won't be pretty.

Comment

Tyson never truly trusted anyone other than Cus, he considered them friends but the only one he ever truly trusted was Cus.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                Jacobs only seemed slightly less creepy than D'Amato to me. I guess one day the full truth about all these guys will come out and it won't be pretty.
                What did you think was creepy about D'Amato?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  What did you think was creepy about D'Amato?
                  Only everything.

Comment

Only everything.
                    Was it the fact that Jimmy used to kiss young Mike on the lips? Kevin Rooney and probably others would be guilty of that too.

I do know what you mean with Jacobs though. The way he talks about Tyson and their relationship was weird. See this interview:

Comment

Only everything.
                      Like what? Can you give some examples?

Comment

Working...
                      X