Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which States don't require any prior amateur experience in order to turn pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which States don't require any prior amateur experience in order to turn pro?

Name the states where you don't have to have an Amateur Boxing pedigree in order to get a license and fight professionally.

Originally posted by -cupo- View Post
    Name the states where you don't have to have an Amateur Boxing pedigree in order to get a license and fight professionally.
    You can get a license without having any amateur experience in any state but the athletic commission will most likely grant a conditional license for one fight. Conditions would be low number of rounds and inexperienced opponent. Before applying for the license the boxer would have to seek out help from the athletic commission to get one of their members watch sparring against a licensed fighter, otherwise the application of a license would probably denied (happend in Nevada last year). After the fight the boxer would have to reapply for a license and might get an unconditional license.

Comment

Originally posted by gee73 View Post
      You can get a license without having any amateur experience in any state but the athletic commission will most likely grant a conditional license for one fight. Conditions would be low number of rounds and inexperienced opponent. Before applying for the license the boxer would have to seek out help from the athletic commission to get one of their members watch sparring against a licensed fighter, otherwise the application of a license would probably denied (happend in Nevada last year). After the fight the boxer would have to reapply for a license and might get an unconditional license.

Are you sure? A cousin of mine got himself a Federal ID in his homestate. No problem.

Tried to get a fight in the state and the fight was signed with the promoter and ready to go. He even got his medicals. And then the commission calls him and tells him that they just found out that he has no amateur experience and his fight is cancelled.

It's a rather messy process. They don't have a website explaining anything. None of the states websites do. This is why Boxing is dying.

But there are states like Arkansas where the process is easier from what I heard. I'm just wondering what other states are like that.

Comment

Originally posted by -cupo- View Post
        Are you sure? A cousin of mine got himself a Federal ID in his homestate. No problem.

Tried to get a fight in the state and the fight was signed with the promoter and ready to go. He even got his medicals. And then the commission calls him and tells him that they just found out that he has no amateur experience and his fight is cancelled.

It's a rather messy process. They don't have a website explaining anything. None of the states websites do. This is why Boxing is dying.

But there are states like Arkansas where the process is easier from what I heard. I'm just wondering what other states are like that.
        I'm sure. Normally the athletic commissions should ask applicants for any amateur experience to make sure the fighters are actually knowing what they are doing in the ring. A big problem with the application process of the about 60 athletic commissions in the US under the ABC, that each one has its own rules. Some are better organized than others. In every case it's the best practice to contact the executive director for help.

Lets look at the website of the Nevada State Athletic commission (I know that a 35 year old former Army member from Atlanta, who had no amateur experience last year was denied a license to fight because he and his manager basically made the mistake of not having him spar before the eyes of a commission member):
        http://boxing.nv.gov/licensing/Boxer/
        The commission has three types of application:
        - professional contestants: basically relicensing of fighters, who are not to old and don't have to many rounds
        - amateur to pro: If an amateur wats to turn pro
        - comprehensive contestent: If you are to old or have too many rounds for the simple application, they want you to do additional tests for safety.

In this case no application type would fit for a contestant without amateur experience. The way to get a license as a professional boxer would then to contact the executive director of the commission.

It is possible that an applicant without amateur experience can turn pro without anyone noticing (in case of the NSAC the forms for the three forms are the same!), but if anyone would notice the license can be suspended and there would likely a one year suspension from competition in all states.

If we take a look at the California State Athletic Commission, that forms are more detailed:
        http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/applicant..._athlete.shtml
        There is a form for boxers who want to make their pro debut, which the coach should fill our:
        http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/forms_pub...s/prodebut.pdf
        The FAQs of the CSAC say this:
        http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/forms_pub...tions/faqs.pdf
        Q. How do I become licensed to make my pro debut?
        A.
        First, contact the Commission. The commission staff will evaluate any prior combative sport experience or lack thereof. Contact the Commission before you do anything
        Contacting the commission in case of a pro debut is always advised. Every state athletic commission will evaluate the applicants. The most important thing is to be honest.

Comment

Working...
        X