Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider Bruce Lee a legit fighter or just an actor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USA_Pugilist View Post
    in todays society he probably would be a fighter because that is where the money is...that is why he chose to act
    There was no UFC back then, and it makes you wonder if he applied himself to that if it existed what would have happened.

IDK how tall he was or how much he weighed, he looks like a smaller built guy to me.

Comment

i guess i stand corrected spray agrees with Stone Roses

bruce would kick all our asses
      you're the odd one out mate......your logic is flawed....take off those blurry glasses and realise the truth.......using your logic, Dr. House must be one of the Greatest Doctors who has ever lived

Comment

Originally posted by KingDosia View Post
        Putting the rules of both sports would probably hinder his win loss record. Kung Fu has always sucked in the MMA circuits for that reason, but those guys deadly outside of a sanctioned format.

I'd say boxing, His speed and stanima are documented and since he couldn't get mauled by a wrestler or jujitsu guy that he couldn't put some bone crushing illegal maneuver on, he would probably do very well in boxing. A pacquiao of sorts i would imagine.
        'JKD' not Gung Fu

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
          Sure could have, he wasn't a fighter in my estimation but probably could have been just like a great med student who never gets a job is not a doctor but could have been.
          Thats not even a good comparison. There are deadly trained martial artists who may never, ever, and even pray that they never have to exhibit their skills. Some of which I would bet are THE greatest fighters. These cats have no need to go out bashing heads for a living as they live a different type of life. Peacful, simple and harmonious are their beliefs, but trust me your favorite MMA or Boxing guy all time would have his limbs broke and fed to him if he were put against such a man.
          The qualifications some of these posters have for a fighter limits the quality of "warrior" to be judges. If your claim to mastery of any fighting art is based on how many times you bashed somebody's head, rather than how relentless your studies and practices are and how dedicated you were to perfection then you are ruling out the top notch "fighters" in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone Roses View Post
            you're the odd one out mate......your logic is flawed....take off those blurry glasses and realise the truth.......using your logic, Dr. House must be one of the Greatest Doctors who has ever lived
            Who the **** is doctor house? and how does that relate to fighting?

Comment

Originally posted by KingDosia View Post
              Thats not even a good comparison. There are deadly trained martial artists who may never, ever, and even pray that they never have to exhibit their skills. Some of which I would bet are THE greatest fighters. These cats have no need to go out bashing heads for a living as they live a different type of life. Peacful, simple and harmonious are their beliefs, but trust me your favorite MMA or Boxing guy all time would have his limbs broke and fed to him if he were put against such a man.
              The qualifications some of these posters have for a fighter limits the quality of "warrior" to be judges. If your claim to mastery of any fighting art is based on how many times you bashed somebody's head, rather than how relentless your studies and practices are and how dedicated you were to perfection then you are ruling out the top notch "fighters" in general.
              Based on what? all of the non fighting they participate in?

Those practitioners you mentioned are exactly that, practitioners of martial arts.

This is so because to be a fighter you must participate in the act of fighting, other wise the adjective is meaningless because if a fighter doesn't fight, what are you describing then?

Comment

Bruce started in Wing Chun 'Chinese boxing'

At the end of his life he was no longer just a Gung Fu man as he realised traditional stance and movement was flawed.

Bruce started 'JKD' which includes elements from many martial arts 'org MMA.

Bruce did not believe in fighting for sport.
                He trained for real life situations 'dirty tactics' thus much of his training at that time would be useless in sport.

Chuck Norris 'maybe' the 2nd greatest kickboxer of all time.
                He was the Joe Frazier to kickboxing's Ali.

Comment

Who the **** is doctor house? and how does that relate to fighting?
                  he is trying to label Mr. Lee as an actor only. Comparing him with a telivision actor.

Arguing the validity of Lee's fighting skills is admiting you don't know **** about what you are talking about. His studies went beyond learning how to fight. His involvement and contributions developed new theories and standards for martial arts. He helped modernize martial arts and infact made certain fighting styles more practical. The use of angles instead of rigid structured techniques. Fluidity and the ability to absorb aggresion. He integrated great fighting styles even including your beloved boxing into a complete art of defense.
                  You are comparing a master to a brutish student.

Comment

He was a martial artist before he was an actor.
                    Wheres hugh grant when you need him?

Bruce Lee was an actor first and foremost, he made his first screen apperance as a child if you didnt know.

He also didnt start studying the martial arts till he was in his early teens, after losing a fight. He may of been good but we didnt see much of it besides in the movies, and heard stories of him fighting stuntmen (Sammo Hung says he was good).

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                      Based on what? all of the non fighting they participate in?

Those practitioners you mentioned are exactly that, practitioners of martial arts.

This is so because to be a fighter you must participate in the act of fighting, other wise the adjective is meaningless because if a fighter doesn't fight, what are you describing then?
                      The level they fight on is obviously to high for some to comprehend. fighting? They break down the methods for fighting and perfect them. Every movement so exact they make no mistake. These are warriors whos methods helped ordinary men hold off assailants outnumbering them by more than ten to one. Their "way" is proven and need not be exhibited for amusement. A lot of the movements wouldn't be of any use to a sanctioned sport as they are intended to eliminate a threat. Not play around and let the assailant do his damage to you.
                      I don't know what you consider elite. Say you have a Ferrari in the garage that you don't drive, and a Ford you race on the street daily. Would you compare the Ford to the Ferrari because you've seen it run?

Comment

Working...
                      X