Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You've got to give massive props to Bernard Hopkins...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Largely, I found him the most boring, the most negative, the most dirty, the most whiney fighter I have ever seen. As a guy who only saw 'B-Hop' and not 'The Executioner' this is my view. The thing is I've never been able to bring myself to watch older Hopkins fights apart from the Roy Jones fight. I'm just not interested.

I appreciate him for the athlete he is but I hate him as a boxer. This is a drawback the sport he partakes in is boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Walterson View Post
      Ignore the fact that I'm a fan and think just logically here.

From the age 40 Bernard Hopkins was able to have competitive battles / defeat the likes of ..

Jermain Taylor
      Antonio Tarver
      Winky Wright
      Joe Calzaghe
      Kelly Pavlik

It's extremely mind boggling to think how he was able to survive against these guys when just recently you have the likes of Shane Mosley and Nate Campbell (aged in their late thirties) getting dominated badly.

He's an inspiration.. That is all.

PS. Still annoyed about the way he fought RJJ in their rematch though.
      VERY good point ....green k for you bro!!

Comment

cosign.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_1985 View Post
          Largely, I found him the most boring, the most negative, the most dirty, the most whiney fighter I have ever seen. As a guy who only saw 'B-Hop' and not 'The Executioner' this is my view. The thing is I've never been able to bring myself to watch older Hopkins fights apart from the Roy Jones fight. I'm just not interested.

I appreciate him for the athlete he is but I hate him as a boxer. This is a drawback the sport he partakes in is boxing.
          That's you're opinion, which of course your entitled to.. I however, largely disagree. It's easy to overlook the positives and how good a fighter really is when you seen negative qualities in them - a good example here would be Mayweather, many people judge him on his personality rather than the great boxer that he is.

And then when you look back and study their fights more carefully - then you'll say to yourself 'wow' did he just do that..
          Last edited by Walterson; 05-16-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

B-Hop is a living legend! I'm glad I got to witness him. I will tell my kids and grandkids about his long reign at Middleweight, and how he fought past his 40s dominating these young cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Walterson View Post
              Yeah I do strongly think he should retire.

As healthy as he is he could do 'so' much

- Commentate for HBO
              - Mend the GB Promotions feud and continue work down in the East Side
              - Perhaps even become a trainer (with his boxing knowledge - he could become a great one)
              hope not, can't stand hopkins

he talks ****

Comment

Originally posted by Kia-Ora View Post
                hope not, can't stand hopkins

he talks ****
                you sure about that..

Comment

He's a legend, no doubt at all. I'll never forget his fight against Pavlik and Trinidad, that was a boxing master in action

Comment

Tarver - Went on to lose twice to Chad Dawson and become a TV commentator.
                    Wright - Went on to lose to Paul Williams and hasn't fought since.
                    Pavlik - Went on to lose to a JuniorMiddleweight in Sergio Martinez.
                    Taylor - Went on to lose to every good fighter he fought.
                    Calzaghe - Went on to fight Roy Jones in a meaningless fight and retire.

It looks like Hops is just a career ruiner and a confidence confiscator.

Comment

Hops was a legend. The midget beating legend.

Comment

Working...
                      X