No announcement yet.

Fight advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fight advice?

Hey, so I'm fighting this Saturday and at my gym we're taught how to box slick. That's how the trainer is. Anyways the guy I'm fighting is gonna come full force the first round and bum rush me. That's how the guys I fight always are. So what should I do against a bum rusher? He throws wide looping shots, whenever they do that I panic and backpeadal and fight off the ropes and get the better of the exchanges but it looks bad. Any tips? Thanks.

Originally posted by iseah100 View Post
    Hey, so I'm fighting this Saturday and at my gym we're taught how to box slick. That's how the trainer is. Anyways the guy I'm fighting is gonna come full force the first round and bum rush me. That's how the guys I fight always are. So what should I do against a bum rusher? He throws wide looping shots, whenever they do that I panic and backpeadal and fight off the ropes and get the better of the exchanges but it looks bad. Any tips? Thanks.
    dont back up he throws wide shot so step in and smother him and shorten yousr up. Straight down the pipe.

Comment

Keep at tight guard and throw straights , straight shots have less distance to travel than hooks

Comment

Thanks! I'll remember that tomorrow!

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

you already decided what your opponent is gonna do based on how he fights. bad idea. concentrate on whet you have to do. if you panic when pressure is applied then u shoud not be boxing. work on what you should be doing and the no 1 thing is to never panic. you don't have to go to the ropes every time someone attacks you. side step, tie him up. counter shots etc. you don't have to go in a shell. hey maybe he can't take a shot so be offensive/defensive. some trainers want everybody to be slick and all are not built that way. here is my point. i'm out of philly. marvis frazier tried to get inside like smokin joe and battle but in the ameteurs he was a nice counter puncher and left it alone when he turned pro tryin to coppy dad. if u do well on the ropes then use that only if needed. i was a boxing marvel skill wise but in philly i was taught to throw the hook and bang the body like we do in philly and brawl. not what i was good at. what id your style ? set him up as he comes in. hit that body as he rushes, if he gets rough elbo behind the hook not to foul but to get him thinking. he probably dips before he rushes in like berto. maybe. this game is not for PANIC. welcome one dimentional fighters. welcome the fact you are there to win or learn how to lose. win this one for YOU. good luck on the fight.

Comment

Low blows to keep him honest.

Comment

Originally posted by theproof View Post
              you already decided what your opponent is gonna do based on how he fights. bad idea. concentrate on whet you have to do. if you panic when pressure is applied then u shoud not be boxing. work on what you should be doing and the no 1 thing is to never panic. you don't have to go to the ropes every time someone attacks you. side step, tie him up. counter shots etc. you don't have to go in a shell. hey maybe he can't take a shot so be offensive/defensive. some trainers want everybody to be slick and all are not built that way. here is my point. i'm out of philly. marvis frazier tried to get inside like smokin joe and battle but in the ameteurs he was a nice counter puncher and left it alone when he turned pro tryin to coppy dad. if u do well on the ropes then use that only if needed. i was a boxing marvel skill wise but in philly i was taught to throw the hook and bang the body like we do in philly and brawl. not what i was good at. what id your style ? set him up as he comes in. hit that body as he rushes, if he gets rough elbo behind the hook not to foul but to get him thinking. he probably dips before he rushes in like berto. maybe. this game is not for PANIC. welcome one dimentional fighters. welcome the fact you are there to win or learn how to lose. win this one for YOU. good luck on the fight.

Agreed with this (most of it) along with the other posters. Don't let him set his feet. If he's fighting wild, make him throw those punches with his arms and throw shorter punches with a tight guard. If youre right handed use a short left hook (or vice versa) to turn them as they bum rush in. I pretty much survived off that in mexico.... :|.... Keep them short and let him smother himself. Dont be afraid to collapse (clinch) onto him if you need to after getting yours off. Most dudes like that will eventually get frustrated and it's pot shot city from there. Fight your fight, just because you get the better of it on the ropes doesnt mean you should allow him to put you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Giant Pinas View Post
                Low blows to keep him honest.
                funny gifs
                Or not.

Comment

Just punch him in the middle of him going after you.

That'll stop him.

Comment

Working...
                  X