• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis Star Andy Murray opens up about his passion and love for Boxing

August 28, 2012, 1:42 AM1 Comment
    U.S. Open: Andy Murray on His Passion For Boxing
    By GREG BISHOP
    Andy Murray toppled Alex Bogomolov Jr., 6-2, 6-4, 6-1, in the first round of the United States Open on Monday, although Murray did struggle some with the wind and dehydration. Afterward, in his regular Q. and A. with Straight Sets, Murray discussed his other favorite sport.

Al Bello/Getty Images
    Andy Murray after match point against Alex Bogomolov Jr. at the United States Open on Monday.
    Q. Tell us about the first boxing match you watched.

A. I went live when I was like 13. I went to see Audley Harrison fight in Scotland. I wasn’t into boxing that much. I’d watched a little bit on TV, Lennox Lewisand guys like that. But then when it went live, I got hooked, straightaway. That was it. Since then I’ve watched everything from British level all the way to world level.

Q. That first fight, what was the venue like?

A. It was small. We actually walked into the venue and a guy who had just been knocked out was walking past us in the hallway. Then we just went and sat down. It was obviously a different crowd than you get at the tennis tournaments. It wasn’t, I mean, I wasn’t interested so much in that, it was just more the adrenaline rush you get from being that close to a live fight.

Q. What hooked you that quickly?

A. It was all fights. When you watch on TV, you think there’s times in the fight where they may be like farther apart, like there’s a bit of space. But they’re so close to each other. The whole fight is so intense. Any mistake is punished. You can get yourself badly hurt. I was just focused for every single fight. I didn’t want to miss anything.

Q. Who are some of your favorite fighters?

A. I like watching Joe Calzaghe. The British guys, I liked him. I know David Haye well. I do enjoy watching him. I think he’s exciting to watch. And then, I mean, I like Floyd Mayweather Jr. For me, he’s the best. I like watching him. Someone like Mayweather, you can enjoy how easy they make it look, and how the fights don’t appear that tough. But then you can also watch, even fights just on undercards, where guys just like hate each other, and they’re trying to take each other’s heads off. That can be as entertaining.

Q. Who is Mayweather’s tennis player counterpart?

A. I don’t know, actually. I don’t know. I know Manny Pacquiao would definitely be Rafael Nadal. That would be a definite. They’re both lefty, unbelievable energy, fast, powerful.

Q. What other boxers remind you of certain players?

A. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Muhammad Ali. That’s more of a look-alike thing.

Q. What parallels do you see between the sports?

A. The tactics. It’s a bit different in tennis, because I can play one guy today and a different guy tomorrow. In boxing, they obviously have a long way to prepare. But it is the same in that you have to find weaknesses in your opponent. You hit the ball in certain spots, where you might not be hitting to the weakness initially, but you’re trying to figure out ways of hurting them, putting them in positions that make them feel uncomfortable. You can choose whether to defend or attack. Any mistake, especially at the highest level, does get punished.

Q. Who do you like if Mayweather and Pacquiao ever fought?

A. I think Mayweather would win. I mean, a few years ago, maybe not. I’d love to see the fight. When you see how much trouble he had with Juan Manuel Marquez. Mayweather is better defensively. He’s quicker. I think Mayweather wins.

Q. What about Amir Khan? You guys must have come up around the same time in British sports.

A. I met him a couple of times when we were younger. I mean, he’s very exciting to watch. He’s had a couple tough losses. He obviously loves to fight, and I don’t think that’s his strength. He’s an unbelievable boxer, technically. Very good, very quick, very fast. But he does seem to get into brawls a bit too often.

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.co...on-for-boxing/

Andy Murray is the zab Judah of tennis so many chances so many defeats jk

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
      Andy Murray is the zab Judah of tennis so many chances so many defeats jk
      lol Zab quits in fights, Andy doesn't quit in Tennis or give up.

I think maybe Andy Murrary and Rocky Juarez? so many chances on the big stage but comes up short.

And a lot of sports players compare Nadal and Pacquiao. I take it Nadal isn't really technical or graceful on the court but just pure aggression.

Comment

Never would have picked Murray as a fight fan.

Comment

im sure murray was texting or speaking to haye 1 or 2 wimbledons ago to get mentally stronger if anyone could correct me or find the story

Comment

Quick someone figure out a way to send Murray some red K

Comment

he visited haye in the gym when he was training for a fight. wlad i think, maybe ruiz. i know it was in miami and haye was still HW titlist at the time.

Comment

what i don't understand is how people can make claims that a few years ago, manny would have beaten floyd---why can't they get it?

read this carefully

IN NO YEAR WOULD MANNY PACQUIAO EVER COME CLOSE TO DEFEATING FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR. IT'S NOT EVEN A FAIR FIGHT. IT'S ALWAYS BEEN A MISMATCH AND FLOYD WOULD DEFEAT MANNY IN EASY AND DOMINATING FASHION.

KUDOS TO MURRAY FOR BEING A FIGHT FAN. HE SEEMS LIKE A CLASS ACT. I FELT BAD FOR HIM WHEN HE LOST TO FEDERER A FEW YEARS BACK AND HE CRIED ON NATIONAL TV. I CHOKED UP A BIT BECAUSE HE PLAYED HIS ASS OFF TO BEAT THE GUY AND HE WAS JUST OUTCLASSED. HE'S A TRUE CHAMPION THOUGH AND HAS A HEART OF GOLD IF YOU ASK ME.

Comment

Working...
                X