No announcement yet.

Winky Wright withraws from Mathew Macklin Bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winky Wright withraws from Mathew Macklin Bout

danrafaelespn Spoke to Winky Wright a little while ago and he told he has a hand injury and is out of the April 9 fight with Macklin.

Is anyone surprised? Please go away for good Winky.

Comment

Don't see where Wink goes from here.

Comment

Ahhh I was looking forward to that. For some reason

Comment

The career of a fighter usually turns on a dime....

Comment

Disappointing.

I've been considering going to Las Vegas and being at that card. Now there's just two fairly interesting fights, not three.

Comment

Winky Wright - The greatest cure for insomnia known to man.

Watching him fight will put you to sleep quicker than a Tyson hook

Comment

James Kirkland vs Macklin make it happen!!!!!!!

Comment

well, a hand injury is a hand injury

Comment

Winky Wright's return to the ring after a two-year layoff will be delayed because of a hand injury, the former undisputed junior middleweight champion told ESPN.com on Friday.

Wright was scheduled to face European middleweight champion Matthew Macklin of England on April 9 on the HBO PPV card headlined by the Erik Morales-Marcos Maidana junior welterweight fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"I hurt my hand sparring, so I'm not going to be able to fight," said Wright, who added that he was at the doctor's office and just about to meet with him.

Wright -- and Macklin -- hoped that an impressive performance would propel the winner into a middleweight title bout.

Wright said he injured his left hand during a sparring session with welterweight prospect Keith Thurman on Thursday.

"I hit him on top of the head or on his elbow and I hurt the hand, but I kept working with it," Wright said. "And then I did it again and I had to shake it off. My hand swelled up a little bit. I went to get it checked out [on Friday]. It ain't fractured, but it's pretty sore and swollen and the doctor said wait about a week and then we'll see. But I'm near the end of my career. I can't go into the fight not at 100 percent. I can't be going in there with a hurt hand and half-trained. I want to go in there and show people I can be a champion and look good. If I lose a week, that's a problem. So I figured let's call it now and at least give Golden Boy a chance to get another fight.

"I know if I am out a week or two, I won't be ready for the fight. The important thing is to be healthy when I get in the ring. I was looking forward to a good fight. This is a little setback, but this ain't gonna stop me. This train is going to keep on moving."

Golden Boy Promotions has not announced a replacement fight.

full artice
                    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=6182312

Comment

Working...
                    X