No announcement yet.

Similarities Between Price & Bruno

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similarities Between Price & Bruno

And no, I'm not saying they're even close in ability etc.

But seeing Price come out to the ring so tense & then expand all that extra energy and then his body suddenly switch off like that reminded me of Bruno back in the day (although it could be my old brain playing tricks on me).

But Bruno was only 25 when he lost to Witherspoon & - even though he was never a fluid boxer - he was able to learn to relax a little more in the ring.

Price, at 30, might not have that luxury.

There's definitely something there.....two big, explosive punchers who sometimes froze on the big occasions and who could get badly rattled and more than a bit muscle-bound, predicatable and static if they didn't get their punches off early and cleanly.

Bonecrusher Smith and Thompson (their respective American nemesis fighters) are not too disimilar either.

The big difference is that Bruno had the time to learn from his mistakes and a more patient and calculating management/promotional team.

Price is also way older and Maloney does not seem able to run his career in such a measured/controlled fashion.

Just can't see Terry Lawless ever contemplating Frank getting straight back in with James Smith and Maloney wrote a column in Boxing News pretty much admitting that he should have vetoed the Thompson rematch.

Comment

I'll sumarise it. Both are big stiff idiots

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
        bruno was a good solid fighter with very good power. his problem was hed freeze when he got in trouble. he only lost to world class fighters. no shame in that. show a little more repect

Comment

I didn't tribute Bruno's early losses to a chin issue as it was often suggested by some back in the 80's. I seen them more as an conditioning issue. He was way ahead before Bonecrusher caught him late in the fight and Bruno was holding his own with Witherspoon and even Lewis til later in the fight. However Price seems to have a different problem as Thompson's power will never be compared with Witherspoon's, Bonecrusher's or even Lennox's.

But as you said taansend, being tense in a bout can result in getting tired as well as it can affect ability to take a shot. So the comparison could still hold up in a discussion.
          Last edited by TBear; 07-23-2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

I guess there are similarities in that they both have power but after that I don't think you can relate them. I don't think you can point to lack of stamina or chin but bruno getting worn down in the final rounds v smith/tim or ko'ed by prime Tyson or Lewis (having given Lewis a hell of a fight) isnt really comparable to Price getting sparked in two by an ancient thompson and gassing in what 5? in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
              I guess there are similarities in that they both have power but after that I don't think you can relate them. I don't think you can point to lack of stamina or chin but bruno getting worn down in the final rounds v smith/tim or ko'ed by prime Tyson or Lewis (having given Lewis a hell of a fight) isnt really comparable to Price getting sparked in two by an ancient thompson and gassing in what 5? in the rematch.
              Bruno would never have lost to any version of tt. it was only big punchers that got to bruno

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
                you don't know shit about boxing

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                  you don't know shit about boxing
                  Well said. What a sad little man he is.

Comment

Working...
                  X