Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Sam Peter have KOd Joe Frazier if they met?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all: Lets assume for at least one control the fight is 15 rounds....Peter would not be able to even come out and fight into the championship rounds, he would throw less punches than Briggs.

Forget about skills, Frazier's activity was enough to neutralize Peter...ridiculous!

The only reason this is a topic is because the Klit apologists have to make Peter a quality opponent. Lets look at another fact, when the division is perceived as weak, guys come up to challenge. for example Moore challenging Marciano. When Peter and Rahman were percieved as weak opponents Toney came up and beat them a few times as well. How many cruisers came up on Tyson or Lewis by contrast? There was Michael Spinks and thats all I can think of.

Ironickly enough Frazier was challenged by Foster probably because of his size. It showed that Frazier may look a certain way but that he is a heavyweight...Vlad certainly could not take a Foster punch.

The point is every indicator points to the fact (not opinion) that Peter was not very good and could hardly mount a challenge to a great fighter like Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      How much would Peter outweigh Frazier on the night of the contest? 40 lbs or maybe 50?

I think Peter wins before time. If it was an eating contest.
      True that.

Size seems to win all heavyweight fights these days. Peter weighed 40 pounds more than Chambers and just look how that fight turned out....oh, wait.

I think Peter clearly wins the 'other' contest, though Fat Eddie Chambers wouldn't do too shabbily in that one either.

Comment

Damn people are really ******ed these days, I am klitschko fan and In no way does Sam Peter contest with joe. Yes the weight advantage COULD be an advantage but joe fights his fight and drowns Peter in the last half of the fight.

Comment

Threads like this are pretty stupid and i try to stay away from them usually, but anyway, aside from being bigger, Peter doesn't do anything to my mind better than Frazier. Peter was a decent opponent in his day just based on the fact he was aggressive (although this was mainly stupid rabbit punches), had some power and was fairly durable. Other than that, he was slowly beaten up and worsened by his fights with any kind of meaningful opposition. Frazier is levels above.

Whether or not the Klitschkos would beat Frazier is another matter, but saying Peter would destroy him is stupid. Peter is not a particularly smart or skillful fighter at all, Frazier stops him late on with a left hook when Peter is exhausted or a near shutout decision probably. Now - Peter's greater size and perhaps strength could help him win a few rounds, maybe. But size is not the be all and end all, and when you don't have much skill behind it and a lot of that 'size' is fat, then it's not particularly helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
            Threads like this are pretty stupid and i try to stay away from them usually, but anyway, aside from being bigger, Peter doesn't do anything to my mind better than Frazier. Peter was a decent opponent in his day just based on the fact he was aggressive (although this was mainly stupid rabbit punches), had some power and was fairly durable. Other than that, he was slowly beaten up and worsened by his fights with any kind of meaningful opposition. Frazier is levels above.

Whether or not the Klitschkos would beat Frazier is another matter, but saying Peter would destroy him is stupid. Peter is not a particularly smart or skillful fighter at all, Frazier stops him late on with a left hook when Peter is exhausted or a near shutout decision probably. Now - Peter's greater size and perhaps strength could help him win a few rounds, maybe. But size is not the be all and end all, and when you don't have much skill behind it and a lot of that 'size' is fat, then it's not particularly helpful.
            We have rational thought!

Comment

RE: Maskaev. Although he held a belt and was coming off two of his best performances, let's not forget that he was 39 when Sam Peter beat him.

Peter was slow, plodding and had overrated power. Frazier KO7.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                RE: Maskaev. Although he held a belt and was coming off two of his best performances, let's not forget that he was 39 when Sam Peter beat him.

Peter was slow, plodding and had overrated power. Frazier KO7.
                What about the extra weight though?

Comment

The thing is Joe fought around 205-210...Peter was 230-240,so it would be a huge difference in size..sure Frazier was the more skilled more equipped boxer and had good head movement but he did get hit and hit a lot so how would he take Peters shots? But with that said Frazier beats Peter and Peter would never be a champion in the 70's nor even a top contender
                  Last edited by Larry the boss; 05-26-2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Who. Necks?!

Comment

No,,, guys like peter are a dime a dozen in the history of the sport..

Frazier was one of a kind..

Frazier would bully peter, force him back, whack him to the body and head, and beat him up for a decision.. Peter would need distance and space to land powerful flush shots on joe, but was joe was on the inside, it would be a long night for peter

Comment

Working...
                      X