No announcement yet.

Welterweight champion status "vacant"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
    The narrative of the fight matters. Cotto-Margarito was actually #1 vs. #4 according to the Ring, but let's assume they were #1 and #2, and Margarito won a close boxing match, I would have no problem dropping Cotto only one spot to #2, but when one fighter beats the other guy down and literally makes him submit in the ring, the losing fighters has to lose more than 1 place in the rankings IMO. Cotto was beaten so badly he did not even seek an immediate rematch. After the way Margarito won and with Williams leaving the division, it was fair to crown the Margarito-Mosley winner as lineal champ in the division.

That is just my opinion, it's all subjective.
    but mosley had no right to be at #3. he hadn't won at welterweight in 2 years. not sure how a guy who hadn't won in 2 years can be declared ready to fight for a lineage. also lineal champs are #1 vs #2 not vs #3. just like when klitschko fought chagaev that was a joke and doesn't count because everyone knew those weren't the 2 best fighters. creating a new lineal champ from thin air is nearly impossible since the ratings are so bad, ducking is out of control, and there are 4 belts.

Comment

Originally posted by beastoverhand View Post
      Before that, PAC was #1 @ WW and P4P for a VERY long time.
      Pacquiao has *NEVER* been the #1 welterweight in the world. NEVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
        Pacquiao has *NEVER* been the #1 welterweight in the world. NEVER.
        He was, until mayweather beat mosely!

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
          Judah was a prime elite ww...he was a former lineal champion and in his prime...cotto was never lineal at ww
          Judah an "elite" fighter? LMAO he only beat spinks at the time, who in turn got most of his titles from..... MAYORGA!!! LMAO Then he goes and loses to Floyd, Cotto, beats two nobodies and then loses to clottey. All within ONE YEAR!!! So when exactly was he "elite"?

Comment

Originally posted by drenlou View Post
            But.....Margacheato beat cotto doe!

How did floyd duck cotto after he beat mosely?

Floyd fought hatton in decemeber 07...cotto was already being positioned to fight margorito, which was why he took a tuneup with gomez, and on the same card margorito foght cintron in a rematch..

Where was floyd??? Oh thats right he was negotiating a rematch with oscar for september 08...what happened to cotto??? He got beat my margacheato! There were never any negotiations. For the two to fight in 06,07,08 EVER until 2012!
            After the fight, Mayweather said that Hatton was one of his toughest, most tenacious opponents. Mayweather announced his retirement from boxing to concentrate on his promotional company, saying he wanted Hatton to be his first client. So please cut the bullsh^t. They wasn't setting up sh^t in the future for a cotto-margs showdown, cuz after margo won the ibf belt from cintron, he was ORDERED to defend it against clottey. Since Floyd "retired", and you can't do negotiations with someone who is retired, the next best thing to do was fight another top ww, margarito, yup another one floyd ducked. How? See sharmba mitchell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
              Floyd retired June 8, 2008 vacating the WW throne.

Cotto vs. Margarito was #1 vs. #4 according to the Ring. Williams and Mosley were rated in between. Williams' ranking I do not agree with as he had lost to Quintana earlier that year and even though he avenged it, it ended up being his last fight at WW in June '08. Margarito destroyed Cotto.

Margarito vs. Mosley was #1 vs. #3 according to the Ring. Paul Williams had moved on from the division and Cotto was ranked #2. Even though Mosley lost a close fight to Cotto, the general consensus was that Margarito vs. Mosley was really #1 vs. #2 because of how badly Cotto was beaten by Margarito a couple months prior. It would have been illogical to force Margarito to fight Cotto again to gain lineage as he had massacred Cotto half a year prior and Cotto was not even interested in an immediate rematch at the time. Therefore, the current WW lineage started with Margarito vs. Mosley, Mosley wins the vacant WW crown and lost it to Mayweather in his first defense of that crown.

It's kind of silly how the Ring had Cotto at #2 above Mosley after getting badly KO'd by Margarito just because he won a decision vs. Mosley, but the Ring had Marco Huck two spots above Steve Cunningham even though Cunningham had knocked out Huck and only had a close loss to Adamek afterwards.
              Actually, floyd and mosley didn't fight for a belt:

2010-05-01 Shane Mosley 46-5-0
              MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA W UD 12 12
              referee: Kenny Bayless | judge: Dave Moretti 119-109 | judge: Robert Hoyle 118-110 | judge: Adalaide Byrd 119-109

I just copied and pasted, I didn't take anything out. He was stripped like 20 days later for refusing to do a mandatory fight for it. And the reason why floyd fought mosley was because hype job berto couldn't do the fight cuz of the haiti earthquake.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                Very odd guys. I was checking out the current boxing rankings at transnational rakings and this is what I saw:

Rank Name Record - W-L-D (KO) Nationality Last Week
                Champion VACANT - - -

Rank Name Record - W-L-D (KO) Nationality Last Week
                1 Floyd Mayweather 47-0-0 (26) USA 1
                2 Manny Pacquiao 57-5-2 (38) PHI 2
                3 Timothy Bradley 31-1-1 (12) USA 3
                4 Juan Manuel Marquez 56-7-1 (40) MEX 4
                5 Amir Khan 30-3-0 (19) ENG 5
                6 Kell Brook 33-0-0 (22) ENG 6
                7 Marcos Maidana 35-5-0 (31) ARG 7
                8 Keith Thurman 24-0-0 (21) USA 8
                9 Shawn Porter 24-1-1 (15) USA 9
                10 Diego Chaves 23-2-1 (19) ARG 10
                - See more at: http://www.tbrb.org/all-rankings

What do you guys think about the "champion" status being vacant?
                Not a fan of TBR but I agree with this, there is no champion at the weight, we need the top two guys fighting. If there is to be any sort of fill in champ, it has to Manny, considering he beat the number three in the division.

Comment

Working...
                X