No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nicola Adams is Ready To Resume Her Hard Training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nicola Adams is Ready To Resume Her Hard Training

Olympic golden girl Nicola Adams returned to her home city of Leeds and insisted her new-found fame will not affect her determination to continue to dominate her sport in the years ahead.

Adams, who fought for years for funding and publicity as one of women's boxing's few standard bearers, has enjoyed every minute of a non-stop media whirl since making history in London less than two weeks ago.

Her seemingly endless list of media engagements since her victory have included appearances on the Alan Carr Show and Channel Four's 'Sunday Brunch' - as well as a swift visit to the mandatory golden postbox in her home city centre.

[Click Here To Read More]

haven't read anything if she's going pro...she'll have a terrible uphill climb in that weight division w/the likes of Juarez, Torres, Munoz,Bopp, etc...

Comment

On the last point, Adams is determined to resist. Defending her Olympic title is her long-term aim. “I want to stay [an amateur] for Rio 2016,” she says.

Surely there must be some tempting offers coming in to fight for cash as well as glory? “Well, I’m sure there definitely will be,” she says. But as she approaches her 30th birthday Adams sees the rest of her challenges in the amateur game.

This is a game, of course, in which she is now the leading player. As well as holding the Olympic title she won 12 days ago by thrashing the world champion, China’s Ren Cancan, at the ExCeL, Adams is also the European champion at 51kg. Why step aside?

Her plans, she says, are straightforward. “I’m going to have a rest, celebrate and go on a little holiday but then it’s back to training and next year to defend my title at the European Championships. And I will have to train twice as hard, because after beating Ren Cancan, I’m the No1 now. Everyone’s coming to beat me. They’ll all be watching videos on how to beat Nicola Adams.”

Daunting? Nope. “I like a good challenge,” she says, “and this is an even bigger challenge for me: staying on top and proving I’m the best in the world.”
      http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/inte...g-8069110.html

Comment

Working...
      X