No announcement yet.

How do you deal with severe knee pain and do cardio

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you deal with severe knee pain and do cardio

Tried to run today but my knees hurt extremely bad how do deal with this and still do cardio?

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
    Tried to run today but my knees hurt extremely bad how do deal with this and still do cardio?
    It could be a number of things. Do you stretch? How long have you been running in your sneakers? Maybe your shoes are not right for you. Go to a running store and let them put you on a treadmill to see your running form.

Comment

You don't.

From a guy who recently recovered from a blown out knee after 9 months. You don't do shyt. You go to the doctor, get diagnosed, then rest for a long time. Then when the pain goes away, you rehab forever. Until you regain strength and flexibility in your leg, then you slowly return to the cardio that you used to do.

Comment

During my pro years I had alot of trouble with my knees. I would go out and do my run and by the time I was done one or both knees would be hugely swollen up. They hurt when I was running as well.

I used the stair climber alot on high levels. I love jumping rope and was still doing it up until my stroke. Lightly bouncing on the balls of my feet did not seem to bother me as much. I would feel discomfort but I'd just work through it. I never felt extreme pain or experienced any swelling from skipping ropes. Find some elyptical machines, they'll do you great with no impact. Riding the bikes will help abit too.

Good luck with it............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by triggerhapppy View Post
          It could be a number of things. Do you stretch? How long have you been running in your sneakers? Maybe your shoes are not right for you. Go to a running store and let them put you on a treadmill to see your running form.
          be careful kid, trig's trying to get you into a pair of his vibram five fingers, i don't think those douchebag shoes will help your knees

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          During my pro years I had alot of trouble with my knees. I would go out and do my run and by the time I was done one or both knees would be hugely swollen up. They hurt when I was running as well.

I used the stair climber alot on high levels. I love jumping rope and was still doing it up until my stroke. Lightly bouncing on the balls of my feet did not seem to bother me as much. I would feel discomfort but I'd just work through it. I never felt extreme pain or experienced any swelling from skipping ropes. Find some elyptical machines, they'll do you great with no impact. Riding the bikes will help abit too.

Good luck with it............Rockin'
          i agree with rockin, try stuff that is low impact on your knees, swimming, maybe elliptical or treadmill machines because the rubber absorbs some impact, and i'd spent lots of time on the stationary bike

Comment

ether wait for it to recover or do low impact cardio. (e.g. stairclimber, swimming, rowing machine, skipping, cycling)

Comment

also. don't land on your heel when you run as it has a very sharp increase in impact force, insted try to land on your mid-foot as that has less force on the impact and it is more gradual.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                -- u cud replace running w/ p90x or bike-riding or swimming.

-- u cud supplement ur running w/ p90x or bike-riding or swimming.

-- u cud stop running for 1 month n then pick it up again (that's what i did, knee pain is gone).

-- u cud lose a crapload of weight thru liquid diet so there s less stress on ur knee (that's what mike huckabee did).

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                  be careful kid, trig's trying to get you into a pair of his vibram five fingers, i don't think those douchebag shoes will help your knees

i agree with rockin, try stuff that is low impact on your knees, swimming, maybe elliptical or treadmill machines because the rubber absorbs some impact, and i'd spent lots of time on the stationary bike
                  Actually Vibrams fivefingers are good for your knees but I didn't mention them in my post, You did. I do all my long runs in my Nike pegasus.

Comment

I just recently went to an orthopedic doctor to get a ganglion cyst in my writst drained and he checked my knees because I told him I have severe pain in both of them.

He checked them and told me I have arthritis in both knees. I'm way too young to have that problem but years of boxing, football and all other kind of sports have done that to them.

My knees ache really bad and the only thing I do is ice them, take pain killers and try to do things that don't impact them as much. I have good days and bad days but this is something you will deal with forever. Like the doctor said, you can continue to be active and suffer later or stop playing sports.

Comment

Working...
                    X