No announcement yet.

Fighters who's careers were cut short and are over rated, under rated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters who's careers were cut short and are over rated, under rated

I've been seeing a lot of print for Gerald McClellan lately and how he was an all time puncher and would have been an all time great had his career not been tragically cut short. I personally think it is the circumstances of his tragedy and currant state that compel some on here to over rate him. He was certainly a good fighter and heavy handed but because of his lack of prime top comp I simply can't make him out to be more than he was....a good heavy handed fighter.

Young Stribling was also a heavy handed fighter who's career was cut short at age 28 by a motorcycle accident. Like McClellan, Stribling had a lot of ko's against ham and egger's. The difference being he also had many victories over top fighters of the day and proved himself competitive with the elite. It's unfortunate but Stribling really isn't known by many of todays new fans who would just automatically say a McClellan would have been great. Can he even compare to a fighter who was 256-16-14 (128)?

Than there is Salvador Sanchez who was killed at age 23. Of these 3 fighters Sanchez is clearly the best. How much different would his legacy be today though had he lived but his boxing career fizzled out much the way Wilfred Benitez's career did? Many rank him as one of the greatest fighters ever and a strong argument can be made for that based on his competition. Would that be different today had he lived and the scenario I laid out happened?

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of print for Gerald McClellan lately and how he was an all time puncher and would have been an all time great had his career not been tragically cut short. I personally think it is the circumstances of his tragedy and currant state that compel some on here to over rate him. He was certainly a good fighter and heavy handed but because of his lack of prime top comp I simply can't make him out to be more than he was....a good heavy handed fighter.

Young Stribling was also a heavy handed fighter who's career was cut short at age 28 by a motorcycle accident. Like McClellan, Stribling had a lot of ko's against ham and egger's. The difference being he also had many victories over top fighters of the day and proved himself competitive with the elite. It's unfortunate but Stribling really isn't known by many of todays new fans who would just automatically say a McClellan would have been great. Can he even compare to a fighter who was 256-16-14 (128)?

Than there is Salvador Sanchez who was killed at age 23. Of these 3 fighters Sanchez is clearly the best. How much different would his legacy be today though had he lived but his boxing career fizzled out much the way Wilfred Benitez's career did? Many rank him as one of the greatest fighters ever and a strong argument can be made for that based on his competition. Would that be different today had he lived and the scenario I laid out happened?
    Had Sanchez lived he would eventually of fought Chavez and in my opinion, would have defeated him, making him the undisputed greatest Mexican fighter of all time. He would have rematched with Nelson and Gomez, and would have spanked a young Roger Mayweather, as well as beating Rocky Lockridge. Sanchez legacy would have increased tremendously had he not died so young. I think Ike Ibeaubuchi and Stanley Ketchel would also have increased their legacies had their careers not been cut short as well.

Comment

if ur talking about missed opportunities.. i heard u can look in Don King's closet too.. plenty of great fighters there that never made it, Tim Witherspoon?

the one i think was cut short and really sucks (because it's his own fault, laziness) is Riddick "Big Daddy" Bowe. he could've been the greatest according to Eddie Futch. but the fights with Golota.. took too much damage in his career.. could've been so much more i think.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
        Had Sanchez lived he would eventually of fought Chavez and in my opinion, would have defeated him, making him the undisputed greatest Mexican fighter of all time. He would have rematched with Nelson and Gomez, and would have spanked a young Roger Mayweather, as well as beating Rocky Lockridge. Sanchez legacy would have increased tremendously had he not died so young. I think Ike Ibeaubuchi and Stanley Ketchel would also have increased their legacies had their careers not been cut short as well.

While a case can be made for Ketchel (though I've read he had begun sliding before his death) and you've made a good one for Sanchez, I totally disagree about Ibeabuchi. VERY overrated in my opinion. Much like McClellan his accomplishments have been blown up and out of proportion. He had two good wins over fighters who were good, but limited. No telling how he would have done when faced with a bigger fighter like Lewis or a fighter like Holyfield. we know by his life that he wasn'y very good at dealing with adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
          if ur talking about missed opportunities.. i heard u can look in Don King's closet too.. plenty of great fighters there that never made it, Tim Witherspoon?

the one i think was cut short and really sucks (because it's his own fault, laziness) is Riddick "Big Daddy" Bowe. he could've been the greatest according to Eddie Futch. but the fights with Golota.. took too much damage in his career.. could've been so much more i think.
          Im not talking about missed opportunities my man, but careers cut short before a fighter may have reached his potential. And while I agree to an extent about Bowe, he doesn't fit into this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post

Eddie Futch said, "Bowe was a lost cause" before the 2 Golota fights.

Comment

Im not talking about missed opportunities my man, but careers cut short before a fighter may have reached his potential. And while I agree to an extent about Bowe, he doesn't fit into this thread.
              Harry Simon

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                Harry Simon

Good pick sonny! He was certainly up and coming beating top comp before being sent to prison. Underrated or overrated?

Comment

Edwin Valero is a fighter who's career was cut short but who I thought was hugely overrated while fighting. Opinions?

Comment

Edwin Valero is a fighter who's career was cut short but who I thought was hugely overrated while fighting. Opinions?

I need to watch more of him but I wasn't impressed with his power against Antonio Demarco.He dominated a good solid boxer but he hit him many times and his punches just didnt seem to be as heavy as advertised.

Comment

Working...
                    X