Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFVII remake not happening.

Final Fantasy VII remake would take too long
    - Square
    Because those old RPGs were bigger than modern games, says producer Yoshinori Kitase

Let's just face it: A HD 3D remake of Final Fantasy VII isn't going to happen.

Square's responses to questioning over a much-requested remake have always been a bit cautious. The 'we hear your cries but have no current plans' sort of responses.

But Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase's finally given the candid answer we sort of knew anyway - it'd take too long and cost too much.

Here's his full response, spoken during an interview with our friends at OXM:

"In the transition between XIII to XIII-2, it was quite easy because obviously we kept all the data and the engine - we had just finished using them so it was almost like they hadn't gone cold. The technology was already warm and ready to use, so it was quite good. Also within the team, we still had a feel for the game, it was still new to us, still lingering with us, so we were ready to move on to the sequel.

"But if we were to take one of the past Final Fantasy titles and make a sequel to it, I think that would be a lot more challenging because when they were on PlayStation and PlayStation 2 their actual game volume was a lot bigger, kind of.

"Graphically they weren't as advanced as they are now, but there were lots of towns and worlds and cities and whatever. So if we were to recreate the same kind of game - sequel or not - with the same volume, but give it a much higher level of graphical quality, it would take us three times, four times, even ten times longer to make such a game. So making a sequel for an old game would be a lot more challenging."

Will we stop dreaming now?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...o-long-square/
    Last edited by Ether; 11-30-2011, 09:00 PM.

Good - anyone who actually liked the game for what was good in it should realize that a remake is unnecessary and could only be a travesty. Which is not to say these same people crying for one wouldn't absolutely love it, because they adore anything Square does FFVII related, including that ****ing abomination Advent Children.

The climate has changed - quality RPGs in the old form will not sell to the current ******ed generation of high schoolers in Japan, which is their primary demographic (similar to how nearly all western games are either of an FPS or MMO model, even RPGs, because that's what sells).

Japanese game studios do not for an instant consider how the foreign market might evaluate any game they decide to produce, especially in the RPG genre. These games are made solely for the Japanese market, then localized simply to make even more money. They know morons in the US will eat it up like candy on brand name alone. NO games are made with a western audience in mind, save for something like MVC.
    Last edited by Miburo; 12-01-2011, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Lazy cheap ****s, people should stop buying their ****ty rpgs. The only good rpgs they made were the original Final Fantasy VII. It would take too long because you fat ****s eat too many fatty foods like Michael Moore. Get off your fat lazy asses and make a remake of the greatest rpg ever. The blocky character look of final fantasy VII is lame.

Comment

I don't really care. It's probably better that they didn't because it was groundbreaking at the time for things that now-a-days would be less than desirable.

No need to remake it. Instead how bout evolve as a gaming country and actually provide great games. There's like 3 developers that actually make good next gen games from Japan. Kojima, ResEvil guy, and someone else I am currently forgetting.

It's sad too, Japan has fallen behind in the gaming industry as far as quality of games goes. I was a huge FF fan, DMC, Tekken, all that stuff. But now, I am more interested in when the next Fallout is coming out than the next FF installment.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          I don't really care. It's probably better that they didn't because it was groundbreaking at the time for things that now-a-days would be less than desirable.

No need to remake it. Instead how bout evolve as a gaming country and actually provide great games. There's like 3 developers that actually make good next gen games from Japan. Kojima, ResEvil guy, and someone else I am currently forgetting.

It's sad too, Japan has fallen behind in the gaming industry as far as quality of games goes. I was a huge FF fan, DMC, Tekken, all that stuff. But now, I am more interested in when the next Fallout is coming out than the next FF installment.
          The US has stagnated every bit as much. Everything has to be FPSish to sell. Fallout jumped the shark just as badly as anything else.

Comment

How is it longer than modern games? I don't actually remember the story being that long.

Comment

Just spent the last week killing bionic kraken trying to get the gutsy bat.

im going to go kill gigas then its time for another top quality RPG.

im thinking super mario RPG legend of the 7 stars.

then maybe ff6 or chrono trigger

such incredibly simple graphics and easy to beat games yet they're soooo much better then anything any ones come out with in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Flab View Post
                How is it longer than modern games? I don't actually remember the story being that long.
                like 40 hours longer.

just getting out of midgar would be equal to 1/4 of the way though ff13

where midgar is barely 1/10 of ff7.

Comment

....Tifa Lockheart would be a perfect woman in real life LOL!

Some of those Japanese ''cosplay'' girls do a really good job with Tifa.

The original is classic. Id love for them to remake it but im also happy they've decided to leave it.

Comment

i mean this was kinda a given. replayed through chronotrigger last week classic. btw does anybody know if a us psn card will work on uk psn? i wanna play through ff6.

Comment

Working...
                    X