No announcement yet.

Marvis Frazier as a Cruiserweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    Frazier-Deleon would have been interesting if things were different. Guys like Leroy Murphy and Ossie Ocasio would have been alot easier than Holmes and Tyson.
    I always though Frazier was mishandled by his dad though. Joe wanted Marvis to be a heavyweight real bad. Pushed him into a heavyweight title shot when he was only 10-0 against the best fighter in the division at the time. Suppose Marvis was trained and handled by Futch(or any good trainer), and developed properly. He probably would had even done alot better with his career.

Excellent thread topic, with both questions asked that I had always wondered about- which basically center around his father fighting him as a heavyweight and with the style he (Joe) used. Marvis clearly was not built to compete with the bigger, better heavies, and certainly not built to go at them the way his father would have.

For those thinking his chin would fail at crusier.....He was getting hit by Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson, Bonecrusher Smith, etc, how the hell does that mean he- a natural cruiser- couldn't take a punch?

Comment

I actually think he'd have done ok at cruiser he wouldn't have beaten holyfield obviously but really who would? Qwai would also be too much for him imo but if he hung around for long enough i wouldn't have been surprised if he managed to get hold of a version of the title at some point.

One thing you gotta remember about marvis his two biggest losses were to Tyson on possibly Mike's best night ever and Larry Holmes ... nothing to be embarrassed about ... put his father in with someone like holmes after just 10 pro fights and he would have lost aswell ... likewise no way even prime smoking joe would have beaten Tyson in that form.
      Last edited by Daddy T; 05-04-2011, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Joe certainly didn't do his boy many favours, pushed too quickly in a weight that didn't suit him with a style that didn't suit him either. Also he struck me like he was being a fighter to please his Dad rather than any great personal desire which would have told at any weight IMO. He wasn't without skill and with someone else pushing his career along he would have done better but without a fighters instinct which can't really be taught or manufactured I think he would have struggled

Comment

He coulda been a contender at CW.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            Joe certainly didn't do his boy many favours, pushed too quickly in a weight that didn't suit him with a style that didn't suit him either. Also he struck me like he was being a fighter to please his Dad rather than any great personal desire which would have told at any weight IMO. He wasn't without skill and with someone else pushing his career along he would have done better but without a fighters instinct which can't really be taught or manufactured I think he would have struggled
            Exactly this.

Comment

This just popped up today: Marvis frazier HL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9vc...&feature=feedu

IMO you don't choose boxing, boxing chooses you.

Comment

Working...
              X