Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Muhammad Ali had developed into a power puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hweightblogger View Post
    Ali is probably the most featherfisted of all HW world champs.

He ranks bottom #5:
    http://www.heavyweightblog.com/2342/...s-muhammad-ali

And I can tell the most important reason why: Because of his light heavyweight background.

Former cruisers (let alone former light heavyweights) never develop good power, be it Michael Moorer or Adamek or James Toney. The only exception would be borderline cruisers who are natural heavies (around 205-210) who artificially lose weight for the weigh-in and fight at 199 lbs.

Additionally the division developed, even Earnie Shavers would be considered featherfisted today:
    http://www.heavyweightblog.com/2318/...ed-featherfist
    That blog is ****.. it's written by a surreal loser of a Klitschko fan.. the fact that he took so long to write out such a ******ed blog speak volumes.

The funniest thing is I once asked him how long it took him to write such a blog and he's like 'months and months of research' lmfao

So I send him a similar blog I wrote about Lennox Lewis (twisting facts and stats to his favor)... it took me like 2 hours .

That's besides the point. Do you think Ali could develop into a
    p4p power puncher though?

Comment

Ali's physique was amazing for that period of time. With all that advances in health and fitness these days imagine what Ali would have been like today. (hahah hopefully not on PEDs)
      But Ali was more of a thinker/slick boxer like the Mayweathers/Hopkins guys who use the smarts and natural skill to beat you. not by power

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
        That blog is ****.. it's written by a surreal loser of a Klitschko fan.. the fact that he took so long to write out such a ******ed blog speak volumes.

The funniest thing is I once asked him how long it took him to write such a blog and he's like 'months and months of research' lmfao

So I send him a similar blog I wrote about Lennox Lewis (twisting facts and stats to his favor)... it took me like 2 hours .

That's besides the point. Do you think Ali could develop into a
        p4p power puncher though?

Don't invent nonsense. There is no other blog like HeavyweightBlog.com

Never before and most probably never after.

Some statistics are the result of an analysis of tens of thousands of fights.

Joe Louis' era alone (Louis+opponents+opponents' opponents) consists of 1800+ boxers and 53000+ fights, which is needed for example if you want to know how often previous generations of boxers fought (which is just one of the hundreds of stats that are featured in that blog).

And none of the stats is "twisted". Only if you choose to believe in myths and legends ("The golden heavyweight era") then you might consider facts to be twisted.
        Last edited by hweightblogger; 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Don't invent nonsense. There is no other blog like HeavyweightBlog.com

Never before and most probably never after.

Some statistics are the result of an analysis of tens of thousands of fights.

Joe Louis' era alone (Louis+opponents+opponents' opponents) consists of 1800+ boxers and 53000+ fights, which is needed for example if you want to know how often previous generations of boxers fought (which is just one of the hundreds of stats that are featured in that blog).

And none of the stats is "twisted". Only if you choose to believe in myths and legends ("The golden heavyweight era") then you might consider facts to be twisted.
          So answer my question. Could Ali have develop into a p4p power puncher?
          Why the hell is that a hard question for a genius like you?

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
            Hmm...

Never got back to this, sorry.

I believe Ali did indeed have the fists to be flatfooted.

Comment

What does my favorite poster in the whole wide world thinks?

Bostonguy... do you think Ali could have developed into a p4p power puncher ?

Comment

Do bigger calves really make you punch harder? I'm curious because I've always been embarrassed by how freakishly huge mine are.

Comment

He could have, but it wouldnt of been natural power, plus he wouldnt of been as successful IMO.

He did what came naturally for him. His style reflected his personality: smart and flashy. He talked fast, he punched and danced fast. If he was a slugger, he wouldnt of been able to throw as many punches each round. He'd get tired quicker, and he would get hit more and not looked as good.

If he was taught to be a power puncher from when he was a kid, he wouldnt of been nearly as successful because he wouldnt of been as fast or elusive.

IMO Ali adapted as he got older. But had to rely on his chin and heart more. He didnt change styles during a fight. I think his punching technique wasnt meant for power. I struggle to imagine him throwing real power punches. He was always a volume puncher.

Its almost like asking if Marciano could of been a dancing master.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
                    So answer my question. Could Ali have develop into a p4p power puncher?
                    Why the hell is that a hard question for a genius like you?
                    I already answered that question.

As long as Ali remained a cruiser or a light heavy he could have been a p4p power puncher. As soon as he moved up to real heavyweight > 200 lbs he became a featherfist thus could never be a p4p power puncher. As soon as Shavers faced heavier opponents he became a featherfist.

Additionally your question is nonsense because p4p does not make sense regarding heavyweight. p4p is ASIDE of heavyweight. p4p has been invented to be able to compare sub-heavies to heavies. p4p is to make sub-heavies feel better about themselves. Including heavies in a p4p comparison makes no sense. p4p makes sense because lower divisions are only a few pounds apart.

What do you want to compare? Mike Tyson without muscles and a thin neck to to Floyd at 240 lbs? p4p makes only sense if you exclude heavies.
                    Last edited by hweightblogger; 03-02-2013, 01:19 AM.

Comment

I already answered that question.

As long as Ali remained a cruiser or a light heavy he could have been a p4p power puncher. As soon as he moved up to real heavyweight > 200 lbs he became a featherfist thus could never be a p4p power puncher. As soon as Shavers faced heavier opponents he became a featherfist.

Additionally your question is nonsense because p4p does not make sense regarding heavyweight. p4p is ASIDE of heavyweight. p4p has been invented to be able to compare sub-heavies to heavies. p4p is to make sub-heavies feel better about themselves. Including heavies in a p4p comparison makes no sense. p4p makes sense because lower divisions are only a few pounds apart.

What do you want to compare? Mike Tyson without muscles and a thin neck to to Floyd at 240 lbs? p4p makes only sense if you exclude heavies.
                      Nice nice. but what if Ali trained from the beginning to be a power puncher?

He got massive calves like Tua. Does that generate power? What if he stop being so fleet footed and just become like a Foreman?

Do you think he could have trained himself to become a p4p power puncher?

Comment

Working...
                      X