Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current heavyweights are too inactive

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Briggs has been keeping busy lately although against bloated cruiserweights and limited opposition, he says he plans to fight 15 times this year . Vitali is keeping active against tough competition

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
      Tunney you really believe it's as good as it's ever been? I'm not one of those people who believe it's at its worst stage ever.

But it's not as good as some era's I could name, not a knock on the Klitschko's they are clearing out there era and thats all they can do.
      i dont know if it can be qualified as the worst, but it's a candidate. The bros are the only ones making noise.

70s and 90s were best heavyweight eras.

Comment

Originally posted by S H O B O X View Post
        Briggs has been keeping busy lately although against bloated cruiserweights and limited opposition, he says he plans to fight 15 times this year . Vitali is keeping active against tough competition
        guys he's fighting he should be fighting 100 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Nights View Post
          guys he's fighting he should be fighting 100 times.
          haha true , 1st round ko's suit him just fine

Comment

Totally agree. This is one of the reasons Adamek is one of the best fighters of the last 5 years. Very active.

Comment

I would add Denis Boytsov to that list as well. His promoters have been trying to develop into a viable contender for the last couple of years but of late haven't done much of anything. Boytsov is a capable fighter but isn't getting a chance to prove it...
              ________
              Website design
              Last edited by BostonGuy; 03-09-2011, 04:13 AM.

Comment

its pretty bad the division its pretty much abandoned with only about 25 guys on the radar
                imo its the most unactive division even worst than strawweght
                imo the klitschkos could help out by fighting more mandatories, i mean even against guys like rahman they fill out those huge venues

Comment

Originally posted by Tunney! View Post
                  I think the heavyweight division is about as good as it's ever been. But there is one real weakness that is ruining it.

Too many heavyweights are inactive.

Alexander Dimitrenko: fought only once in 2009, has no fight scheduled yet this year.

David Haye: fought only once in 2009, has fought once this year but now he says he needs a rest

Sergey Lyakhovich: went 18 months without fighting three times now.

Nicolay Valuev: fought only once in 2009, his promoter Don King ducked Vitali and Nicolay has no fight scheduled so far for 2010

Kevin Johnson: has no fight scheduled so far in 2010

Ray Austin: hasn't fought this year, nothing scheduled

Ruslan Chagaev: went 11 months without fighting after his loss to Wladimir, fought only once in 2007 and once in 2008

I believe boxers should fight three or four times per year. Anything less than the preparation for fighting twice a year will reduce their sharpness when they finally do return. A lot of mediocre performances are due to ring rust and reduced physical fitness from inactivity.
                  wow, do you know anything about boxing history whatsoever? this is the absolute worst the division has ever been in its history. there is no one in it that would be a champion in most other eras

Comment

Originally posted by roxy View Post
                    Heavyweights can just wait for their next title shot without fighting, Thats easier when there are three champions. If there was one titlist, one champion, contenders would have to fight each other for a ranking. It's not only the contenders that are deluded, have three titlists delutes the titles too.
                    Yep. For as long as the Klitschkos are NOT injured, together they defeat 3-7 opponents each year. That cleans out a division pretty quickly.

And, thanks to the dominance of the Ks, most prospects try to aim for Haye's belt. Many were talking about a fight with Haye, few about a fight with Wlad or Vitali. 'Cause everybody knows where the easiest belt is.

Comment

I agree, and tbh it's not just the HW division, although that probably is the worst.

I have a lot of respect for Adamek. He just wants to get on with boxing, he treats it more like an active job and thing to work at persistently, than pretty much anyone else in the division. If some of that rubbed off on others things would heat up.

Haye and Mosley are guys whom I like, but have lost respect for with the lack of activity and just waiting **** out. Annoys me, get on with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X