No announcement yet.

Bert Sugar quickie on Mike Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Great John L View Post
    No offense, but I'm not sure that Sugar really wrote that list. In the 2006 Book called Boxing's Greatest Fighters, written by Sugar, Bert has Tyson ranked 100 in a list of the top 100 greatest fighters of all time, So I don't know why he would rank Mike so highly now. Also, in the list of the 100 Greatest boxers of all time put in the book, Lennox Lewis isn't even included, nor is Holyfield in the top 20 best in Bert's list.
    Agreed ... i remember that he had tyson 100 and lewis and hollyfield like 25-30 !?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrpedigree View Post
      Agreed ... i remember that he had tyson 100 and lewis and hollyfield like 25-30 !?
      He has Holy #42, Tyson #100, and Lennox Lewis not ranked at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        Michael Spinks was a glaring omission though. Sugar can tell a story from 1910 as if he was there at ringside but he gets basic facts wrong (like saying Benny Leonard was the first Jewish champion) and repeats myths and legends that were debunked years ago, like Pep winning a round without throwing a punch.

Comment

Yes, Sugar has gotten many basic facts wrong in the past. Have you guys read his 1982 book 100 Years of Boxing? It's a great read, with lots of pictures and facts, but many basic mistakes can be found. For example, Sugar says that Dempsey knocked Willard down 4 times in the first round, when it was actually 7. He also says Norton brok Ali's jaw in the first, when many say it was the second, and still many say it wasn't until much later. He frequently mixes up the order of successive knockdowns, and he says Ali fought Shavers and Evangelista in 1976, when it was actually 1977. He says Foreman first knocked Frazier down in their 1973 fight with a left hook when it was really a right uppercut. He also says that Angelo Dundee PURPOSELY loosened the ropes before the fight, although it is generally believed that the ropes were loosened by the heat from the African Sun. He also says Dundee Purposely cut his gloves open in the 1963 Henry Cooper fight when in reality the glove was already split open, but Dundee widened the opening with his finger. He knows his stuff 90% of the time, but just sometimes makes little errors like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
            Michael Spinks was a glaring omission though. Sugar can tell a story from 1910 as if he was there at ringside but he gets basic facts wrong (like saying Benny Leonard was the first Jewish champion) and repeats myths and legends that were debunked years ago, like Pep winning a round without throwing a punch.
            I agree, Bert Sugar is very inconsistent in the things he says.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
              wow no good taking notice of anything Bert says then

Comment

Working...
              X