No announcement yet.

Better resume: Mayweather or Pacquiao?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I do actually see where BoxingGenius is coming from.

I don't exactly agree with what he's saying. Because Pac and Mayweather have been considered the 2 best fighters in the sport for a long time.

But, he does raise a good point;

Mayweather has been considered the better fighter (Ring Magazine P4P rankings) between 1998-2008. If Pac is so much greater, why is that? Jut throwing it out there.

Also, back in 2007. ESPN didn't consider Manny Pacquaio to be even in the Top 50 of all time. As opposed to Mayweather who they had at #48 (I believe).

Has Pac really done all that much since 2007 to be considered this minimum Top 15-20 ATG and Mayweather still be lying around somewhere in the Top 35-50?

Again, I'm just playing Devil's Avocate here. I do personally think Pac is the greater fighter. But I really don't think it is by a wide margin at all.
    I agree and not too long ago I rated Mayweather higher, Pacquiaos opposition before Barrera is just not very good.

Comment

• Resume's are even,I don't know how anyone can argue against it..Both fought the top fighters in their respective div,it's the reason why we all want to see umm both fight..They have proven to be apart from the rest(with exceptions to Martinez)and they are 1a and 1b in the sport..I really feel it's clear they are even as far as resume goes..Just my opinion..

Comment

• This thread been done many times..

Pac has the better resume..

Comment

• even. once they step inthe ring, floyd leap frogs pac. floyd leapfrogs pac by fighting and beating ortiz and sergio.
          Last edited by Pacquiao'd; 09-07-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            I do actually see where BoxingGenius is coming from.

I don't exactly agree with what he's saying. Because Pac and Mayweather have been considered the 2 best fighters in the sport for a long time.

But, he does raise a good point;

Mayweather has been considered the better fighter (Ring Magazine P4P rankings) between 1998-2008. If Pac is so much greater, why is that? Jut throwing it out there.

Also, back in 2007. ESPN didn't consider Manny Pacquaio to be even in the Top 50 of all time. As opposed to Mayweather who they had at #48 (I believe).

Has Pac really done all that much since 2007 to be considered this minimum Top 15-20 ATG and Mayweather still be lying around somewhere in the Top 35-50?

Again, I'm just playing Devil's Avocate here. I do personally think Pac is the greater fighter. But I really don't think it is by a wide margin at all.
            Blah, ESPN didn't have Michael Spinks, Salvador Sancez, and Bob Fitzsimmons in that list. I believe they had Barrera and Morales on there. And, as much as I love both those guys I be damn if they're greater than those 3.

That list didn't have Oscar did it? I hope not.

That ranking was horrible. So many in there that didn't deserve it and too many omissions.

Comment

• Pac isn t the only fighter with a better resume than Floyds. There are a handful of boxers i could name.

Comment

• Pacquiao's resume is better, period. He's done nothing to add to it since the Cotto fight, unfortunately. Mayweather will continue to close the gap with an impressive win over Ortiz but I don't see how he surpasses him unless he beats a Martinez or Pacquiao. I just don't see it but then again, I don't know what the future holds.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                  Blah, ESPN didn't have Michael Spinks, Salvador Sancez, and Bob Fitzsimmons in that list. I believe they had Barrera and Morales on there. And, as much as I love both those guys I be damn if they're greater than those 3.

That list didn't have Oscar did it? I hope not.

That ranking was horrible. So many in there that didn't deserve it and too many omissions.
                  I'm not saying the list is legit nor am I saying I agree with it.

I would guess you already know I obviously don't agree with that list.

Like I said, I'm just playing Devil's advocate here, and to BoxingGenius' credit, It is true that the majority of writers back in 2007 would lean on Mayweather being the greater fighter or at the very least it being an argubale thing.

I was just using ESPN's list as another set of writers who also felt like The Ring and others that that time. Again, I certainly don't personally agree with there list.

You see what I'm saying?

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    Pacquiao's resume is better, period. He's done nothing to add to it since the Cotto fight, unfortunately. Mayweather will continue to close the gap with an impressive win over Ortiz but I don't see how he surpasses him unless he beats a Martinez or Pacquiao. I just don't see it but then again, I don't know what the future holds.
                    very good points...

too many award giving bodies and boxing analysts/forums have given pac the nod so many times...

opponents wise, pac's got more beef than floyd's...

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      Pacquiao's resume is better, period. He's done nothing to add to it since the Cotto fight, unfortunately. Mayweather will continue to close the gap with an impressive win over Ortiz but I don't see how he surpasses him unless he beats a Martinez or Pacquiao. I just don't see it but then again, I don't know what the future holds.
                      Ortiz is a Clottey level opponent, if not below that. We know Clottey fought the best, and proved himself giving them all tough fights. Ortiz has one fight at welter, against Berto who is yet to be proven a great fighter. Can't even classify it as a great performance, Ortiz got knocked down twice and showed many flaws a fighter like Floyd could exploit. Before that wasn't even ranked top 10 in his JWW career with some dissappointing performances in his biggest fights. Can't say he adds to Mayweather's resume, if Clottey and Margo did nothing for Pac's, with all they've proven and both would beat Ortiz.

Anyway, Pac's resume is clearly superior to Floyd's. At the lower weights he holds a Leonard-esque 5-1-1 (3KOs) over the other member of the modern day Fab Four (MAB, EM, JMM). Floyd's best wins over Castillo, Corrales, Hernandez are very good, but historically those fighters will never match up with the Barrera, Morales, Marquez.

From 140 up, Pacquiao basically fought all the top rated fighters and smashed them all as an undersized fighter. Mosley was the only meaningless fight he had. Mayweather has some great wins, but many of them he fought guys coming up in weight or average fighters with a tailor-made style for him (Marquez, Hatton, Gatti, Ortiz, Baldomir). Mosley and De La Hoya were his best wins where he didn't have the physical advantages, but they were old and rusty coming off long layoffs. I know Pac haters try hard, but it's much easier to criticise and discredit Mayweather's wins above 140.
                      Last edited by Fighting Pride; 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X