Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in 46 fights Mayweather has done more than guys with 146 or more

sam goes for pacquaio

I consider both to be top 20 modern era fighters

Sandy Saddler, Ortiz, Ike Williams were all great but Manny and Mayweather both accomplished more

You have to consider that Mayweather has fought at a championship level for since 1998 and half his wins are title fights and most are lineal title fights at that.

Pacquaio won lineal titles 28 pounds apart 112 was the lowest and 140 was the highest

Also for him not to include Roy Jones is a head scratcher considering he was the consensus p4p of the 90's, fight of the decade and has the relevant win over Hopkins who is ranked and also wins over HOF McCallum, Hill, Toney

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
      Yes that is true, and granted his 49 pro fights in a career isn't as many as most but with the fights he has taken the lack of punishment inflicted on him has been down to his defense, so there's also that to consider, but you do make a valid point.
      Ah yeah no doubt if Floyd fought Duran's resume, in my mind, he would've lasted longer given his discipline and defense.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        in 46 fights Mayweather has done more than guys with 146 or more

sam goes for pacquaio

I consider both to be top 20 modern era fighters

Sandy Saddler, Ortiz, Ike Williams were all great but Manny and Mayweather both accomplished more

You have to consider that Mayweather has fought at a championship level for since 1998 and half his wins are title fights and most are lineal title fights at that.

Pacquaio won lineal titles 28 pounds apart 112 was the lowest and 140 was the highest

Also for him not to include Roy Jones is a head scratcher considering he was the consensus p4p of the 90's, fight of the decade and has the relevant win over Hopkins who is ranked and also wins over HOF McCallum, Hill, Toney
        this this this this this

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
          Floyd is also a man of his times, cherry picking his opposition. His preference for flat footed sluggers over speedsters is noteworthy.
          what speedsters did he avoid?

Zab Judah at the time he fought him possibly had the most explosive speed in the sport

Past prime Mosley still had very fast hands, just didn't have the accuracy or timing of Mayweather which made the difference

Oscar De La Hoya had fast hands, as well as Corely

He is the greatest cherrypicker of all time considering half his wins are in title fights and over a third of his wins are over champions and major titlists

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
            what speedsters did he avoid?

Zab Judah at the time he fought him possibly had the most explosive speed in the sport

Past prime Mosley still had very fast hands, just didn't have the accuracy or timing of Mayweather which made the difference

Oscar De La Hoya had fast hands, as well as Corely

He is the greatest cherrypicker of all time considering half his wins are in title fights and over a third of his wins are over champions and major titlists
            Hold up. I said I'd include Floyd in the top 20.

One example (of cherry picking plodders over speedsters) would be picking Maidana over Khan, even though fans preferred that he fight the latter.

As for "title fights" and "champions" these days...who isn't?

Oscar had fast hands in his prime. But he was past it against Floyd.

Anyway, I'd still put Floyd in the top 20 list...well, at least in front of Holyfield or Hopkins.

Comment

Anyway my thoughts on the situation, I'd probably rank him in the top 20 ATMGs. . . he is not the best ever, arguably one of the best of our generation, but I'd probably put Bhop ahead of him in my own personal list. . . and Pac neck and neck. But he has achieved some accolades that no one else has.

As pugilist says, to not include both these fighters into ATMGs would be very harsh

Comment

One example (of cherry picking plodders over speedsters) would be picking Maidana over Khan, even though fans preferred that he fight the latter.

Anyway, I'd still put Floyd in the top 20 list...well, at least in front of Holyfield or Hopkins.
                I don't really think Khan deserves the fight to be honest and still don't. At that time he hasn't even had a win at 147, but I'm kinda hoping it happens because I've come round to the idea that it would be interesting atleast. . . but I don't see how someone like Danny Garcia can not have many problems with Khan and Mayweather would (not using triangle theories to justify this) . . just common sense. . . Khan is quick but his ring IQ is somewhat left to be desired.

Comment

Maidana was actually ranked in the top ten....Sadly Khan was not therefore it made since regardless of Khan winning head to head years prior

Oscar was past prime and still had some of the fastest hands at 154 just as Mayweather is past prime and he does at the current time at 147 and 154

In 46 fights the lineal champions he defeated were Genaro Hernandez, Baldomir, Castillo, Mosley, ODLH, Judah, Cotto, Marquez, Corrales, and Ricky Hatton ....a total of ten across 5 weight classes I may add

that's not even including good fighters like Canelo and other titlists

that's nothing to sneeze at with just 46 fights when guys with over a hundred fights haven't beaten 5 world champions let alone ten.....that's more than Archie Moore, Duran, Julio Cesar Chavez, Leonard, Holyfield, Charles, Willie Pep, Ike Williams, Carlos Ortiz, Hopkins etc.

I agree there are fighters he could have fought like TSZYU and Pacquaio but he has a lot of quality in just 46 fights

Comment

I wish Floyd never quit the sport for 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post
                      I wish Floyd never quit the sport for 2 years.
                      me too....he made up for it though because Cotto was one of the proposed opponents, but his team didn't think he was ready.

Mosley was as well

There are some that wanted to see him fight Margarito and/or Williams but before and after his retirement he has defeated better more accomplished fighters.

I honestly think he did it because of nagging injuries and didn't want coming in the ring at 80% being an excuse of a loss or bad showing.

He knows his body better than we do

Comment

Working...
                      X