No announcement yet.

"Brian didn't knock me out, he woke me up" - Miguel Torres

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Brian didn't knock me out, he woke me up" - Miguel Torres

It wasn't long ago that Miguel Torres was on top of the world. He was the WEC Bantamweight champion and seemingly unbeatable. He had almost become the face of the WEC once Urijah Faber lost his title. People started talking about Miguel as one of the pound for pound best in the sport. Miguel was traveling, promoting, interviewing and more and had become the WEC's great hope for expansion in Spanish speaking countries.

It took a title fight with Brian Bowles to expose the fact that Miguel wasn't invincible. On that night, Miguel couldn't avoid a punch to the back of his ear that knocked him out and left him without the WEC title.

Did the life of a champion catch up to him? Did he become complacent?"

"That kind of happened over the summer. I did non-stop traveling (promoting WEC and UFC after his last successful title defense) and around the middle of June, I started training for Bowles and during that whole period the whole camp was off. I was training, I was traveling and I was training and I was traveling and UFC 100 was in July and after that I was in LA and it was just a lot of stuff I wasn't used to. Before (when I was a contender and not champion) I just had to train for a fight and not worry about interviews (and the like)."

Miguel believes that Brian may be in for a similar experience.

"He's going to see how it is, it's crazy, it throws you off a little bit".

Torres doesn't play the blame game though, he realizes his last loss was because Brian was the better fighter that night.

"I don't believe in lucky punches. (Brian) was the better man that night."

Miguel seems thankful for the loss though, he believes it will help him get to the next level. He doesn't see it as a negative thing, but as a positive.

"I don't see (it as) him knocking me out, I see (it as) him as waking me up".

Miguel's next move? He wants to have a title shot by next summer. His next fight?

"I want to fight anyone who's going to get me a title shot against Bowles."

They say that you are only as good as your last fight. Miguel Torres may be the exception to that rule.

http://www.mmascrapsradio.com/2009/1...ck-to-top.html

=======

http://www.mmascrapsradio.com/2009/1...o-join-us.html

Miguel Torres interview starts about 41:10 into it
Working...
X